• Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

Hi guys,

what do you think about this? Do you think that trial versions of the themes would help our business? How would you limit the themes for this goal, to avoid that they can be used in the real world?

I like the idea of transparency that trial versions could offer, I think that in this way people would know what they buy.

Benefits:

1: You know exactly what you buy.
2: No need to explain every theme’s feature in detail.
3: No disappointment of buyers if they expect something different.
4: No more diffidence towards new authors.
5: Intellectual property protection, everybody will know if anybody uses other author’s code.
6: More satisfied customers, more returning customers.
7: An outstanding way to promote our works.
8: Honest people would still buy licenses for commercial use.

Downsides:

1: Source code is hard to be protected for real or locked.
2: Less instinct sales (many sales don’t become real sites everytime).
3: Authors can be inspired too much from other authors work :)
4: Risk of piracy increased, but piracy in any case can’t be avoided.

There are many ways to encrypt code, php too, but the gpl license of WordPress I think doesn’t allow encryption, so this should be thought well. A solution could be to limit trials with very hard to find code snippets that limit functionalities.

Please, don’t misunderstand this post, I’m just thinking about new ways to increase the business potential.

If you want to share your thoughts they will be very welcome, how would you do this? :)

Not including documentation would help in many cases to sell regular licenses.

Parker

1012 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Egypt
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+1 more
wizylabs says

Hmm nice idea, but again its almost impossible to protect your code completely! Maybe a better idea would be a multisite for your theme, on your own server, that allows users to create a new instance of the theme with their own username/pass etc.. then you have full control of what they see as new users (theme instances, ie sites) created can be limited to certain capabilities etc…

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says
wizylabs said
Hmm nice idea, but again its almost impossible to protect your code completely! Maybe a better idea would be a multisite for your theme, on your own server, that allows users to create a new instance of the theme with their own username/pass etc.. then you have full control of what they see as new users (theme instances, ie sites) created can be limited to certain capabilities etc…

I agree about code protection, in fact the main goal of this post is to find (if any) the best way to achieve this. I mean, not everybody is skilled enough to clean the code from the protections… only advanced users could be able to achieve so.

A multisite installation is also a good idea… but correct me if I’m wrong. You, as admin of the network, would need to create each theme installation manually for each user asking for a demo, right?

54 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
hothoundz says

Brilliant Idea P&K,

Something I, as a buyer, have needed on several occasions especially for client mock-ups so that they can see the design with rough customisations for their product/business. I didn’t want to buy the theme in case they said no…they wanted something different.

Perhaps the answer is to only allow it for TF customers who have bought XX number of themes. You supply theme direct to the person and are shown where it will be hosted for client preview.

2 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Indonesia
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
andrastudio says

Why not just simply create a test site with WordPress multisite where potential buyers can test drive your themes?

ParkerAndKent said
A multisite installation is also a good idea… but correct me if I’m wrong. You, as admin of the network, would need to create each theme installation manually for each user asking for a demo, right?

Wrong, you’ll only need to put the themes under wp-content and allow user registration in the WP multisite instalation. Each user will then have a new blog after he/she registered and can pick any themes they like to test.

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says
hothoundz said
Brilliant Idea P&K,

Something I, as a buyer, have needed on several occasions especially for client mock-ups so that they can see the design with rough customisations for their product/business. I didn’t want to buy the theme in case they said no…they wanted something different.

Perhaps the answer is to only allow it for TF customers who have bought XX number of themes. You supply theme direct to the person and are shown where it will be hosted for client preview.

Hi,

thanks for sharing your thoughts. What you’re saying is exactly what I think. Personally I’d like to have happy cistomers able to use my work in a proficent way. This can result in less sales (how many times you regret to have purchased a theme, not because any author fault, but just because it didn’t really fit your needs?), but also in more sales I guess.

Then, thanks to this option, I think that theme’s prices can be raised… because if you’re 100% sure that the theme works fine for you, you won’t mind to pay 70$ instead of 35$, right?

I really want to go in this direction, that’s why I’m thinking about this. Personally I have nothing to hide, I’m sure my themes are good, so I would give this option without esitation.

Restricting the trial based on buyers status I don’t think would work, in my opinion every buyer has the same rights :)

Parker

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says
andrastudio said
Why not just simply create a test site with WordPress multisite where potential buyers can test drive your themes?

Sure, this is an option I’m considering. I just want to make this process as easy as possible, also because considering the traffic that TF generates, can happen that 1000 buyers would like to try the theme… having 1000 installation is an hard thing to handle… this would require very huge server resources.

Parker

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says
andrastudio said
ParkerAndKent said
Wrong, you’ll only need to put the themes under wp-content and allow user registration in the WP multisite instalation. Each user will then have a new blog after he/she registered and can pick any themes they like to test.

Thanks for the info, I wasn’t sure about this because I never had the need of a MU installation ;)

Parker

54 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
hothoundz says

No, I wouldn’t pay $70. But I might pay a small amount for a trial version :-)

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says
hothoundz said
No, I wouldn’t pay $70. But I might pay a small amount for a trial version :-)

I was just saying :)

by
by
by
by
by
by