753 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
AdamGold says

I think that a feature like this could be really nice: Users will be able to access the admin of the theme and control every part of it. They will be able to take a look at the themes options, plugins, widgets etc. The only part that will be blocked is the theme editor so they won’t be able to see the source code. What do you think?

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says
AdamGold said
I think that a feature like this could be really nice: Users will be able to access the admin of the theme and control every part of it. They will be able to take a look at the themes options, plugins, widgets etc. The only part that will be blocked is the theme editor so they won’t be able to see the source code. What do you think?

Exactly Adam, I’m almost ready with my multisite installation. The editors are blocked by default and in any case they show only the standard php files, not the whole thing.

I’m going to release the test drive platform soon :)

753 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
AdamGold says
ParkerAndKent said
AdamGold said

Exactly Adam, I’m almost ready with my multisite installation. The editors are blocked by default and in any case they show only the standard php files, not the whole thing.

Buyers are gonna like it :)

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says
AdamGold said
ParkerAndKent said
AdamGold said

Buyers are gonna like it :)

I hope that!

:)

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

i’d use a different host than live preview.

if any vulnerability is discovered in the admin area, you could quick turn this service off without affecting live previews

2217 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
crozer says

I think this would also mark a wider line between good and bad authors. If a buyer actually has a chance to test and see the true-self of the theme, they will know whether to buy it or not. As you said, no more instinct-based purchases.

So, in short, this will decrease sales of authors who mostly have instinct-based sales (maybe because they mock-up the preview beautifully, or they just have a great marketing language, etc.) and it will increase sales of authors whose work is truly good.

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says
bitfade said
i’d use a different host than live preview.

if any vulnerability is discovered in the admin area, you could quick turn this service off without affecting live previews

Yeah, I know, I thought about this. The live preview is running on a different sub domain… while I’ve created specific sub domains and installations for the test drive themes.

There isn’t any access to any script, what could you think can be an entry point?

Thanks!

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says
crozer said
I think this would also mark a wider line between good and bad authors. If a buyer actually has a chance to test and see the true-self of the theme, they will know whether to buy it or not. As you said, no more instinct-based purchases. So, in short, this will decrease sales of authors who mostly have instinct-based sales (maybe because they mock-up the preview beautifully, or they just have a great marketing language, etc.) and it will increase sales of authors whose work is truly good.

As I said I’ve nothing to hide and nothing to worry… I want transparency for my buyers and give them an option to test my work and eventually have also great feedbacks about how to improve myself. Then they will decide if my work worths 35$.

2217 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
crozer says
ParkerAndKent said
crozer said
I think this would also mark a wider line between good and bad authors. If a buyer actually has a chance to test and see the true-self of the theme, they will know whether to buy it or not. As you said, no more instinct-based purchases. So, in short, this will decrease sales of authors who mostly have instinct-based sales (maybe because they mock-up the preview beautifully, or they just have a great marketing language, etc.) and it will increase sales of authors whose work is truly good.
As I said I’ve nothing to hide and nothing to worry… I want transparency for my buyers and give them an option to test my work and eventually have also great feedbacks about how to improve myself. Then they will decide if my work worths 35$.

I know, I am actually supporting your idea.

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says
crozer said
ParkerAndKent said
crozer said
I know, I am actually supporting your idea.

by
by
by
by
by
by