• Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

Hey guys,

in your opinion how many activations of WP I can make without breaking my mt grid server?

34 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Netherlands
michiels says

Hey everyone,

How did this work out for everyone? Is there still an ongoing initiative to make this work? The thread has been started over two years ago and I was just searching the TF forums for “trial theme”.

I think a solution to people not buying your theme because they don’t if it’s their use case or if it’s compatible with plugins they like to use would be great. Don’t you think?

It’s also a great opportunity for buyers to see if they are comfortable with your theme. This way, you as an author don’t get bad ratings because someone just didn’t understand your implementation and you would have helped them otherwise.

193 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
ikaruna says

This sounds like a cool feature, I don’t think you need Envato’s help at all, you can implement a user-based system on your server, back in the days I was working for 1and1.com, they had something called 1and1 blog which was a modified WP version that each client could install – basically you need your own hosting system. However this comes with a great cost, I believe that the bandwidth and the computation power necessary will easily exceed a cost of $1K/month. This would be very very unfair because most of the authors do not afford to pay this kinda of money.

Another option would be to encrypt the PHP (maybe zend) and JS, remove some of the functionality of the theme (possible add some watermarks) and offer the installer for free download (I’m curious if this would be allowed at the moment considering the actual rules).

cheers! jayc

34 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
michiels says

I am creating a prototype at http://themedemo.co. I use it for myself but would like others to be able to easily demo their themes as well. I am still testing it out privately to know if the servers can handle it.

If you would like to help out please reply to this thread.

How it currently works:

1. Upload your theme
  2. You get a unique URL that you can send to potential customers or put on your TF page.
  3. On that unique URL, anyone will be able to sign up for a theme demo by entering their email address.
  4. After submitting, a unique and secure sandbox gets created for your theme for that specific user. Every new user gets their own sandbox.
  5. After 24 hours the sandbox gets removed and the demo period is over.

Currently the only way to prevent demo users from reading theme files is by writing and installing a Plugin that lists the Wordpress directory and reads the files. So, for now I added an option that you can disable or enable plugin installation.

I personally would not mind that people read my PHP since it is quite a hassle to completely download a theme via a Plugin. Most buyers don’t know how to do this. Second argument: what if someone steals your theme. This will happen anyways since some buyers are just assholes and they will put it on newsgroups or other websites.

The best way to prevent theft is to focus on the customers that actually pay and give them the best support as possible. Giving them a trial before they are going to buy is a good start.

612 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

I am creating a prototype at http://themedemo.co. I use it for myself but would like others to be able to easily demo their themes as well. I am still testing it out privately to know if the servers can handle it.

How it currently works:

1. Upload your theme
  2. You get a unique URL that you can send to potential customers or put on your TF page.
  3. On that unique URL, anyone will be able to sign up for a theme demo by entering their email address.
  4. After submitting, a unique and secure sandbox gets created for your theme for that specific user. Every new user gets their own sandbox.

Currently the only way to prevent demo users from reading theme files is by writing and installing a Plugin that lists the Wordpress directory and reads the files. So, for now I added an option that you can disable or enable plugin installation.

I personally would not mind that people read my PHP since it is quite a hassle to completely download a theme via a Plugin. Most buyers don’t know how to do this. Second argument: what if someone steals your theme. This will happen anyways since some buyers are just assholes and they will put it on newsgroups or other websites.

The best way to prevent theft is to focus on the customers that actually pay and give them the best support as possible. Giving them a trial before they are going to buy is a good start.

Sounds like a very cool thing you have there.

Allthough i think i will never host my whole theme on somebody else his server for trial purpose. I would only use something like that on my own environment.

You also could setup a MU wordpress site where people can play with the theme. Is your thing based on that perhaps?

Anyway, it still sounds very cool what you’re doing there, is there a place where i can follow the progress?

34 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
michiels says

How it currently works:

1. Upload your theme

Sounds like a very cool thing you have there.

Allthough i think i will never host my whole theme on somebody else his server for trial purpose. I would only use something like that on my own environment.

You also could setup a MU wordpress site where people can play with the theme. Is your thing based on that perhaps?

Anyway, it still sounds very cool what you’re doing there, is there a place where i can follow the progress?

Thanks!

It’s all about trust I think. I see no gain in being able to look into your theme files. Really, I have no use for it.

Setting up a MU site limits you into some things. For example: it’s harder to automate it and to automatically have the trial end after a number of hours. Also, in a MU site, people could upload mallicious code and hack other demo’s or even the main MU installation. I don’t want that. I feel much more secure if each demo runs in its own PHP installation so you are absolutely sure the demo user can only break his own demo.

I have no blog or progress page set up right now but I am going to create one so you can follow progress. I’ll let you know when it is finished.

by
by
by
by
by
by