625 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

I gotta ask this:

Are themes without the ( in the meanwhile for me ever never ending boring same old same old oh there’s a slider with multiple animations – but almost never 100% GOOD responsive ) revolution slider and co. even appreciated?

I mean, almost every new item uses it. I know.. i know: gotta keep up with the rest and if it sells, it sells. But i see it so much, those slider effects just irritate me more and more ( while it really is a good slider )..

Is it safe to say that a good selling theme needs to have one of those sliders? The guys from the plugins should be millionairs by now.. ( good for them though ) Or can a normal slider still get the job done if the surrounding theme is excellent?

375 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
pixelgrade says

I for one don’t believe in those slider plugins. We are using Royal Slider in our latest theme, but the jQuery version. We like to control things ourselves so we can deliver a consistent design, not a theme/framework that does everything. Too many options hurt the design and this doesn’t help the buyers. You offer then a carefully thought demo site, but when they get to it they are swamped with so many customization options that they end up with a far less enjoyable site. The buyers are not designers (or most of them).

Just my two cents :)

116 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
nagaemas says

I’m not using those sliders in my latest theme, as they are difficult to configure for the average users on the HTML version. In my experience, not even one of my customers buying my HTML template with those sliders included use them. They instead opt to use the included flexslider/nivo slider. My latest theme uses Cycle2 slider, and most of the buyers are happy with it :)

479 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeBeans says

I’ve only ever used the simple Flex Slider in my themes (for gallery post formats mostly) – never an actual “slider plugin”. The closest I’ve come is using the Flex Slider to control content, and even that was almost too complex for users.

Total advocate for slider-less themes.

1479 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
Anps says

Yes, but the final say have the buyers.

2273 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

There’s only a few particular types of sites and formats of sliders that are effective according to many studies – I stopped creating themes with sliders quite a long time ago however I throw in the soliloquy plugin for those that really want to use one as sliders really shouldn’t be part of a theme.

I have also tried all the various sliders available including those listed and totally agree, even if you want a slider I have no idea why someone wants to have to spend an hour creating a slide with all the options and then get frustrated.

+8 more
jonathan01 says

Yes, but the final say have the buyers.

Depends if all you are interested in is providing the same thing as 10000 other authors and are simply chasing the money.

90 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
+5 more
Net-Labs says

Wow, Jonathan, I really have respect for the fact that you’re going out on a limb for what you believe in.

I use sliders, and though it’s probably the most useless piece of real estate on a web page, it doesn’t feel dressed without it for me. just brings the whole thing together.

And yes I like sliders, it makes the site sexy for me, and not the Miley Cyrus way where we get all undressed and let everything swing and hang out, but my wife’s way, where she can put on a little lipstick and turn into this incredible beautiful creature.

And i derive a lot of pleasure when a buyer shows me his site and he managed to do just that, added 2 or three pictures, and the site is “lipsticked”

I like the layerslider not for the way in which it manages to spin things around, but in the way that it gives the buyer the freedom to do whatever he pleases with it.

If he wants it 100 pixels wider he can easily do that, and if he wants to add a video he can also easily do that

That saves me having to explain to buyers how to, and saves me more than the $75-00 I shelled out for it in saved support

but that’s just me…......

+8 more
jonathan01 says

Wow, Jonathan, I really have respect for the fact that you’re going out on a limb for what you believe in.

I use sliders, and though it’s probably the most useless piece of real estate on a web page, it doesn’t feel dressed without it for me. just brings the whole thing together.

And yes I like sliders, it makes the site sexy for me, and not the Miley Cyrus way where we get all undressed and let everything swing and hang out, but my wife’s way, where she can put on a little lipstick and turn into this incredible beautiful creature.

And i derive a lot of pleasure when a buyer shows me his site and he managed to do just that, added 2 or three pictures, and the site is “lipsticked”

I like the layerslider not for the way in which it manages to spin things around, but in the way that it gives the buyer the freedom to do whatever he pleases with it.

If he wants it 100 pixels wider he can easily do that, and if he wants to add a video he can also easily do that

That saves me having to explain to buyers how to, and saves me more than the $75-00 I shelled out for it in saved support

but that’s just me…......

Thanks for the support bud – I’ve had a lot of support from buyers when it comes to sliders also which is rather refreshing.

I’m not 100% against sliders at all, and I’m not saying using one of the very powerful sliders such as revolution et all isn’t a great solution, but it depends on the site and if a slider would be effective – I just don’t think that every theme needs a slider – therefore I leave it up to the buyer to either use the free (and great) one I provide or if they want to spend a couple of bucks and dive into the setup of something more powerful.

41 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
jk000jk says

A simple slider works well, but I find more annoying the trend with the moving items when in scroll focus, brings zero value, except slowing the site.

by
by
by
by
by
by