2299 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

A simple slider works well, but I find more annoying the trend with the moving items when in scroll focus, brings zero value, except slowing the site.

ah you mean the ‘animate everything’... yeah tweeted about that quite a bit.

1055 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

A simple slider works well, but I find more annoying the trend with the moving items when in scroll focus, brings zero value, except slowing the site.
ah you mean the ‘animate everything’... yeah tweeted about that quite a bit.

I’m also not a fan of, as Jonathan put it, the ‘animate everything’ functionality. It’s a gimmick for gimmick sake. I’m using Visual Composer, which has this functionality, but held out for a while and didn’t show it in theme demos. Eventually I added it in my last theme. People want this feature and it only made sense to show it was capable.

Most people look at something and think, “Wow, that’s cool!”, without considering if it is really beneficial or necessary. As a designer, it’s our job to think about those things, but I would say most buyers are not designers. This isn’t intended to be a judgement on buyers or to say that they’re wrong for liking this effect. Everyone likes different things, but from a usability standpoint, I can think of very, very few times I would ever want that effect on a website.

I do know of a website that makes excellent use of those effects to demonstrate one particular feature of the product. If you scroll down to the “It Already Works With Your Theme” section of http://siteorigin.com/page-builder/ I think that is great. Everything else on the page that animates is excess and doesn’t need to be there.

639 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

So i guess we can conlude that most of us find all the animations an overkill – and some even the (mis)use of big sliders in general.

@parallelus has a good point. The cool factor attracts buyers, but a lot of ‘cool factors’ are there just to dazzle without considering if it’s beneficial for the content.

As for sliders in general – i think they still could make a site “lipsticked” sexy like Net-Labs mentioned. Problem with most sliders is that they’re mainly just a big block sitting on top of the site. Maybe when a slider is more integrated and related to surrounding content it does a bit more than only visual appearance.

Guess it’s up to us to make things better ey :)

1588 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Yes, but the final say have the buyers.
Depends if all you are interested in is providing the same thing as 10000 other authors and are simply chasing the money.

Agreed, but our issue is a bit confusing, since we are still not at the point that our themes can sustain us for a bit longer time to unleash all our capability, we actually planned developing our own slider which we tried in one of our first themes, but right about that time authors started throwing in the “all mighty sliders” and then we went with the trend since we have to build up the momentum :)

And I am 100% on the notion that people do not know what they want they see a something all animated with bling bling and then the use a fraction of it or worst the annoy the heck out of you with support and in the end the end up with terrible design.

So I agree but hey we have to eat :)

by
by
by
by
by
by