• Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

Hi,

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
I do not want to disturb anybody in any way. I only speak the truth I see and the truth is: this is no free market so far, folks.

THE SITUATION
I’ve recently added a major feature to my latest template for and as usual, the price suppose to increase due to increasing the value of my item. Price didn’t change yet even after contacting reviewers.

Right now, because the price my template looks like a cheap (and maybe useless in the eye of the consumer) multi-featured template and users do see it like a cheap work. As a result, my sales can hold on because in the eye of consumers my template does not provide enough quality for it’s features.

The real problem is that the price strategy is critical for the overall marketing strategy that I develop over time. Not only the template. The template is the product strategy, the result of hard work researching, coding, polishing and adjusting for ThemeForest standards.

I always thought I should be the one to decide the price tag and not Envato stuff whenever they have time to check the already overwhelmed ticketing system. The reviewer should approve my product as part of an overall marketing strategy and not a simple zip file. The reviewer should analyze the product and it’s price tag and approve if it fits the current offering and quality on the marketplace or reject it by requesting more features (or more polished design) for the price or asking a lower price for the current features and design.

Envato is no government agency and even if it was, nobody can decide how much my work should be priced. Drug stores and producers can decide to get 300% profit from selling medicine, with no limit of any kind. And since I also provide professional support like many other authors here, this price right now does not feel satisfactory.

THE POLICY
Recently Envato changed / added a new policy for price changes. From now on price changes can be done via ticketing system and reviewers cannot change the price when approving an update.

THE PROBLEM
MY-TEMPLATE-VERSION-1.0 is low priced even if provides more value than other higher priced.

-OR-

Releasing a new MY-TEMPLATE-VERSION-2.0 with new major features for the same price is not acceptable. Time wasted, money wasted. Not even delays for price adjustments are not acceptable. MY-TEMPLATE-VERSION-2.0 is much more value than the previous.

THE SOLUTION
A possible solution could be having a team of marketing in the Envato stuff, to only manage the product (item) and price strategy. Considering the above, this team should be able to fix all these pricing disputes ( http://wpcandy.com/thinks/about-35-dollar-themes ), for all kinds of items and all kinds of features packs. I don’t know for sure, but I think the reviewers don’t have the basic knowledge of marketing as they are coming from webdesign, coding or other art related field.

Quick solution could be, just leave the things the way they were, authors can solve this right with the reviewers. No need to complicate things for now.

Another quick solution is that I can simply downgrade my file, my demo and everything because I wasted my time instead of making a good time investment.

Another possible solution could be that I can start my own template shop, where I can decide the price, I don’t have to share my income with anybody. Further more, if more authors are interested, I could support them selling their work and maybe creating partnerships in running a free market and not politically driven closed (communist) market.

EXPECTED RESULT
Sales and income should be higher and it is in the benefit of both Envato and the authors after all.

THE MARKETPLACE MUST BE FREE . AUTHORS MUST HAVE MORE DECISION POWER OVER THEIR ITEMS .

ENVATO IS NOTHING WITHOUT AUTHORS .

248 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in United Kingdom
dwhitmore says

tl;dr

Guy is whining about Envato setting the price of themes on their own website, which he has chosen to sell through (its not compulsory, apparently?).

No idea how he has managed to relate this to marketing.

2541 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

Hi dnp :)

Firstly we love our authors, absolutely love them and I have personally had the pleasure of meeting quite a few of them. Second, thanks for the feedback, but I do feel you’re being a bit unnecessarily hostile and borderline insulting with some of your phrases. Maybe that’s just how I perceive it though, I care a lot about what users on our sites think :)

We don’t at all hide the fact that we (Envato) set the prices, it’s the terms of selling on our marketplaces. If this isn’t satisfactory for you, then perhaps you may be less upset and happier at another site? Remember we aren’t forcing you to sell here, though we are very happy that you have chosen to do so. Having a look at some of your items I think you have a lot of talent!

We’d love to have you here, but to be absolutely clear, Envato has the final say in price for items sold on the Envato Marketplaces.

I’ll pass along your feedback to other staff, but be aware that Envato setting the price is not planned to be changed anytime soon.

Cheers and best wishes. :)

-Drew

1703 posts Multimedia Artistry
+4 more
dnp_theme says

I said from the beginning I don’t want to upset anyone.

CreatingDrew, It is my personal impression after being able to increase the value and price for one of my previous items just two days ago, and now suddenly, my plan failed because of external political factors. This makes me upset. How can signaling this to be considered offensive in any way?

dwhitmore, I am not whining. FYI : everything related to making (more) money is the direct result of marketing. Your sales are zero in the last few years and this takes your out of this topic.

1141 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
KarmaThemes says
after being able to increase the value and price for one of my previous items just two days ago, and now suddenly, my plan failed because of external political factors.

What? Did I miss something in your first post? You were able to adjust the price yourself without being elite? And which political factors?

+4 more
dnp_theme says

You didn’t miss this in the first post, I just added it in the second post to make things more clear.

I am not elite, (I didn’t know this is possible) but I could ask reviewer to update the price for me and he did. Twice so far.

Policy or political is what you can understand yourself from this reply I got from reviewer:

It’s Envato policy that pricing requests go through the support system. Please open a ticket, PM me the ticket ID and I’ll make a note of it in our system and update the prices.

Apologies about the slightly longer process.

607 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a blog post
+10 more
Siddharth Envato team says

It is policy that price reviews are handled through the support system. Early on, we merely updated when an author requested a price review but moving forwards, considering the sheer number of such requests, it’s been decided that a support ticket is the correct avenue to do so instead of the ‘comments to reviewer’ section.

Even though I didn’t approve this item, I did indeed send you the message you pasted above asking to open a support ticket for a price review. I simply fail to see the ‘political’ factors behind this. Enlighten me, please.

+4 more
dnp_theme says

Political is like Obama..

In the presidential campaign: yes we can.

After the elections: yes we could.

Strategy means timing and dealing with deadlines. My plan is not mine anymore..

136 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeShaper says

Hmm, Whats the prob? – just contact support and ask for a price change.

I guess its just down to logistics why it was changed, i.e. reviewers are reviewers and their time is best spent reviewing ;)

Btw, the reason the price is decided by reviewers and not sellers (imo – its one good reason anyway) is to prevent author price wars. New authors would have a strong incentive to enter the marketplaces with discounted prices, and eventually these prices would become standard, as other authors would have to lower to compete. The result would be over time prices get lower and lower and both authors and Envato make less and less.

Better as it currently is to have quality as the competitive factor than price.

+4 more
dnp_theme says

ThemeShaper, I thank you for your input.

Beginners dumping price won’t work in the competition, especially if the design and features don’t meet the standards. They have to GREATLY increase the quality level of their work. You cannot compare high-end templates of some elite authors with newbie works with obvious exceptions like some webdesign god come into Envato realm. So an optimum features pack of some newbie could be priced maybe $30, but a fully featured, high quality and ultra specialized template could go to $45 and more for Community like powered items.

Sid, I would like to thank you as always my issues was solved because your godlike helping hand. My price was updated.

Pricing and timing is the key success factor in this business.

We have to find a way to sync the update approval and the price update, to really show the real value of the item by pricing it accordingly from the start. More and more procedures to slow processes should be optimized or eliminated as more and more members join and more authors enter the marketplace.

I thank everyone for inputs here. It was a pleasure.

Danny

by
by
by
by
by
by