• Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

If you are frustrated about your sales than think about theming for WP instead of Joomla. There is a much bigger following on TF for WordPress. Or you could do both ;)

1644 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says

I am not unhappy about sales. Just this pricing thing is a cause influencing the sales. I’ve got what I was expecting so far.

Sure do, I will take your advice. I need to go WP as soon as possible. Some users already want my J! templates to go WP.

Thanks again mate ;)

4264 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Venezuela
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says
dnp_theme said
From now on price changes can be done via ticketing system and reviewers cannot change the price when approving an update.

I’m sure we’ll increase the price of your item, just be patient Danny :) Envato’s policy asks that all review or support related enquiries be handled through Envato’s support system rather than our personal email. You contacted me twice via my personal email and I kindly asked you to submit a ticket.

Just hang in there for a bit.

• Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

Good morning Ivor. Issue is solved. Thanks.

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Glad to hear this was cleared up!

I’m a marketing nerd and I’ve been around the block here once or twice, so here’s some food for thought: Marketing-wise, lower priced items generally sell more than higher priced ones (with some rare exceptions to the rule – think: truly outstanding, one of a kind themes and iPads)... So unless you’re Apple, what you lack in the price is usually made up for in volume (think, the Kindle Fire, Playbook, Touchpad). This is actually an underlying strategy at ThemeForest – consider that, before they entered the market, most WP themes were priced at $XXX, not $XX. They killed it and gained a huge following because they underpriced their competition without completely devaluing the products by selling products at accessible prices.

I’ve had some of my own items priced on the upper tier and I actually requested to have them lowered to make them more accessible to buyers (and sales increased as a result). I’ve also worked it the other way (raising the price on unique items) and saw little noticeable increase in sales (but buyer expectations did go up, which can be troublesome).

You can argue either way, but generally the review team gets the price right ;) They look at this stuff all day, every day – they have a bit more experience than most of us at setting prices; I haven’t seen any cases where they seriously missed the mark. More importantly though, when you’re dealing with a difference of $5-$10, price is one of the lowest priority determining factors when buyers consider a product… if the theme looks appealing and fits their needs, they’ll usually buy it whether it’s $10 or $50.

Rabidly supporting your customers early on and encouraging them to leave a rating if they’re satisfied with your level of customer service is a better use of your launch time… There’s plenty to stress about when you’re releasing a product and trying to promote it – price (usually) isn’t one of them.

Still, all’s well that ends well – so I’m happy to hear you’re satisfied with the price change!

• Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

Yes I am glad, thanks for your input here Brandon. I just needed a price adjustment to reflect the new major feature. I wish this would have been much quicker, but there has to be a sporty with too many ideas, not always the best :|

Cheers.

4128 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

I thought I’d give my 2 cents about this as well.

I always thought I should be the one to decide the price tag

This would end up destroying the marketplaces overnight. Why? Simple, everyone would price their files 1000$ and above, there would be absolutely no consistency. A WP file would be 5000$ another would be 2$. Which would inevitably mean there would be no way to differentiate what is quality and what is not. Furthermore we develop stock. Not custom files, not files coded to be specifically ready to plug and play. The prices are low because of this and it has been discussed a billion times now. A buyer has to modify the template to create his finished product. Yes, some files need a tone of modifications, some need 2 seconds and they are done. This is a different subject altogether.

Having Envato set the prices is perfect! I’d like my template to be priced at 35$, but it’s 15$, why? Because reviewers decided so, and I am glad for that. It’s making constant sales. It’s not the best but I am quite sure that some buyers would not have purchased it if it would have been priced at 17$ and I do have a detailed manual, a mobile version, valid code, bla bla bla. It’s not up to me to decide the price. It’s up to someone who’s seen these types of files all day and all night for quite some time and knows what’s going on!

In the end, buyers are USED to prices here, and they know what quality to expect from each price. If I make a HTML template with 5000 pages, it will still be priced as a HTML category file! And I am not complaining. I’d rather it make 5000 sales with 15$ than 100 sales with 35$ :)

Envato is no government agency and even if it was, nobody can decide how much my work should be priced.

Yes, you are right, but, by becoming a member of the Envato Marketplaces you agreed with the terms of service, and one of them, in the Author Tutorial says the following:

The cost of purchase of each item is decided during the review process, based on a number of factors. Reviewers price items to create a consistent pricing system on the Envato Marketplaces as well as to maximize income for all parties concerned. If an author disagrees with the cost of purchase of an approved item, they may Contact Support. Support will then reevaluate the item, and if the item is under or overpriced we will change the cost of purchase accordingly. Prices may be reevaluated and/or changed solely at the discretion of Envato staff.

As stated above, you can re-evaluate your price by contacting support. If they see fit, they will update your price, if not, they will not. It’s quite simple. Prices may be reevaluated and/or changed solely at the discretion of Envato Staff.

Last but not least
THE MARKETPLACE MUST BE FREE . AUTHORS MUST HAVE MORE DECISION POWER OVER THEIR ITEMS . ENVATO IS NOTHING WITHOUT AUTHORS .

Envato is not a communist marketplace. You have the right to leave whenever you see fit, and you have the right to delete all your files and move to another marketplace. This is not up to Envato to decide( at least if you don’t break the rules ), it’s up to you. In the end, they are your files. You chose to upload them here and by doing so agreed with the terms of authoring including the terms of pricing. Authors must not have more power over their items! If you have noticed even the Elite authors can only change their prices by a small percentage. And the reason is more than obvious. When doing so, the wise will keep products at low prices, the greedy and control obsessed will under/over price them each day to get more and more sales regardless of the file quality. Inevitably, this is BAD for the marketplaces and the buyers are hurt the most.

One day a file is 50$ the other day it gets a “update” and boom, it becomes 150$. This is unacceptable and most buyers would just stop buying. Consistency is needed. That’s why we, as authors are not allowed to change the prices as we please.

Regarding the quality of your files! Yes! You can downgrade, delete them, break them, give your buyers hell, in the end, you will be the sole reason of your demise, leading to bad ratings and no sales. A good author never thinks of doing such things. A good author puts the best of the best in his file! The end result is great! Your files are top quality, people follow you, you get great ratings, featured, more sales, and in the end more money, if this is what you are after. But thinking about adding less and less and less features for your files just because you don’t agree with the prices, in my humble opinion is just plain wrong! As I mentioned before, I’d rather have a file with a lot of features, that costs 15$ and sells 5000 times than have a file with less features just because it’s ” not worth the effort” priced at 35$ that sells 100 times :)

In the end, they are your products, this is your decision, but if you analyze the marketplaces closer, and you understand WHY things are the way they are, you will realize that their marketing strategy is more than AWESOME!

NO OFFENCE intended whatsoever. This is just my personal opinion about what you posted, and I honestly hope you will not be upset at me for sharing my thoughts mate! :)

211 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
agusmu says

When we apply to be a ThemeForest author, we get this question on our author quiz,

Who decides how files are priced?

A. The ThemeForest staff
B. The author
C. The buyers
D. Files are priced automatically based on category

If we choose B, then we will never be an exclusive author here… FAILED !

When we choose A, it means that we agree with ThemeForest rules…

One of our themes got $35 price tag. And we can reach Envato Elite with only this one theme… We keep adding new features but we don’t want to increase the price now, because we do agree with epicera words above, “less price, more sales

Just my two cents… ;)

211 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
agusmu says
dnp_theme said

Another possible solution could be that I can start my own template shop, where I can decide the price, I don’t have to share my income with anybody. Further more, if more authors are interested, I could support them selling their work and maybe creating partnerships in running a free market and not politically driven closed (communist) market.

For your information, a WP guy started a project called ThemeGard** one year ago with your idea above in mind. It is a “free” marketplace where you can sumbit your theme, you can set the price, and buyer can pay 100% directly to your Paypal account. I was also one of author there.

Is it good for me? No, because I still have to promote my theme to get more traffics, and the worst part, I have to deal with some crazy buyers that request refund directly to Paypal without any confirmation to me. Then I decide to quit and focus on ThemeForest.

The fact, this “free” marketplace is closed now and “will be back soon”... ;)

THEMEFOREST WINS !!! Cheap products but top quality… I don’t need to work more to get traffics, i don’t need to deal with “refund” or any complicated system. I only need to create top notch items and provide theme supports. And Envato will pay me every month…

Just my two cents… ;)

382 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
MelforDMThemes says
agusmu said

For your information, a WP guy started a project called ThemeGard** one year ago with your idea above in mind. It is a “free” marketplace where you can sumbit your theme, you can set the price, and buyer can pay 100% directly to your Paypal account. I was also one of author there.

Is it good for me? No, because I still have to promote my theme to get more traffics, and the worst part, I have to deal with some crazy buyers that request refund directly to Paypal without any confirmation to me. Then I decide to quit and focus on ThemeForest.

The fact, this “free” marketplace is closed now and “will be back soon”... ;)

THEMEFOREST WINS !!! Cheap products but top quality… I don’t need to work more to get traffics, i don’t need to deal with “refund” or any complicated system. I only need to create top notch items and provide theme supports. And Envato will pay me every month…

Just my two cents… ;)

What’s your author account? I’m curious to see your items.

by
by
by
by
by
by