1549 posts
    Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
SoundFix says

So, I’m a full-time student and I have a part time job on the weekends which I work from 6am til 2/3/4pm Saturday and Sunday. I earn £100-130 depending on what time I finish. For this job I have to get up at 4:30am and by the time I get back home each day I’m either too tired to concentrate on uni work or I actually do fall asleep at my desk. So, it basically takes up my whole weekend. All I’m gaining from this job is money, nothing else.

This all got got me thinking, what if I spent the whole weekend 10-12 hours a day writing music for AJ, and made two complete (written/mixed/mastered) tracks, I wonder if I could even begin to make £50 a week from AudioJungle? ( I don’t need £100+ a week, it’s just I HAVE to work both days for my current job) This month I’ve had 11 sales so far with no new uploads for nearly two weeks. What do you guys reckon? Could I quit my job, start writing two tracks a week and earn see my earnings increase to around £50 a week?

Thanks very much to anyone who reads this long winded question, I really appreciate it and also any feedback/experiences you share too :)

1179 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

Just my opinion, but if it were me, I would find/make the time (somehow!) to do the 2 tracks I needed during the week whilst keeping my current job, until I was certain that I could afford to lose the income from the part-time job. I am pretty sure you could find 10-15 hours a week extra (1-2 hours a day) to find time to write music for AJ, even if it means getting up earlier, or sacrificing something.

There is no guarantee that your tracks will sell on AJ, while your part-time job, tiring though it is, is still guaranteed.

If you think of it as making a sacrifice in terms of time now, then it’ll pay off later, when you are able to quit your part-time job without any concerns/stress.

Just my thoughts, it’s definitely not the only approach.

1549 posts
    Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
SoundFix says

Thanks a lot Gareth, and I that’s a completely reasonable and sensible approach, it’s just that my uni work takes up the rest of my time, it used to take up my weekends too until I got a job which is why I’m so behind in my third year (still getting good grades but working right up until the deadlines). Maybe it’s something I can try over the Christmas ‘holidays’ as I don’t have any deadlines for a few months after January 7th.

I really do appreciate your feedback and you have reminded me to keep a sensible head on as I feel like just quitting the part-tome job and going for it here on AJ with a few hundred quid in the bank.

:)

545 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
muscma01 says

Personally I found that when I jump in to something completely the money somehow appears. You might want to try getting 2 tracks down now, and 2 more next week cause it seems like the review process for tracks right now is a little slow. For my tracks its like 7-8 days review going on, so you might want to get them going so its going more regular, if you know what I mean. So short answer is I would quit the part time job and focus on doing what you love to do. Life is way to short to spend time doing something you don’t like. I understand being sensible, haha but personally I am a “risk taker.”

Stuck_in_the_Basement
Stuck_in_the_Basement Recent Posts Threads Started
467 posts
    Member of the Envato Team Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Stuck_in_the_Basement Envato team says

I would agree with Scott on this one. Sales are too unpredictable and inconsistent here to trust AudioJungle as your main source of income.
I know that you are on a “sales high” right now, but do not forget that you just had your interview published, bringing added exposure that you won’t benefit from every single month.
Like you said, just use the break to reach your goal of writing two songs a week and see if it pays off before you make such a decision. Hope this helps mate! ;)

339 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
joshhunsaker says

50£ a week would be pretty tough… I know even when uploading a ton of my newest/best work i’m lucky to take in more than $150 total per month…

It does feel like the licensing game gets more competitive every year. I’m refocusing on a full-time job right now. I used to think there was a really good chance I could switch to having only audiojungle as my primary income but now i’m relatively sure it’s not possible (at least for me ).

699 posts
    Located in Poland Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Won a Most Wanted contest Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
FxProSound says

I also think it’s too risky. But on non-ex contract IMHO it’s the chance to get that income from music composing. I would better find a time for 1 song without giving up the job. Then after some months you’ll see if it’s worth to engage more.

1549 posts
+4 more
SoundFix says

Thanks for all the advice guys, some very good points to consider. I think I will probably keep my job and look for a new one with less hours. One day I will hopefully live the AudioJungle dream! :D

2118 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

Is there an option for you to keep the same job, but work only one day instead of two? :)

1549 posts
+4 more
SoundFix says

Is there an option for you to keep the same job, but work only one day instead of two? :)

That’s what I want to do! But the guy I replaced wanted to do that and they said no so he left :/ I was thinking about asking but I’m pretty sure they’ll say no, otherwise that would be perfect. One day of work and another whole day of music!

by
by
by
by
by
by