350 posts Gambit
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
bfintal says

Hey everyone, im thinking of releasing my Wordpress theme framework for free. Im thinking of also monetizing it by providing paid support and paid modules. I would like to ask for your opinions regarding this. If i get a lot of positive feedback, i just might continue with this venture.

So to make things short, the framework sits on top of WP and is essentially a blank theme. It’s set up in a modified MVC model. Think of it this way, it has 2 folders: library and application. The library folder contains all the framework code, while the application folder contains all your theme’s files (php files, scripts, images, etc). Both folders contain models, views and controllers. Its easily updatable since all your files are in the application folder.

Aside from this the framework is complete and comes with an image resizer, smart script loader, shortcode api, admin panel api, etc. it makes building the front end (theme design) and admin UI very fast. Customizing the framework is also easy since application files can readiy override library files.

The code will hopefulu be free, while support will have a fee.

Modules such as an auto multilingual module (and some other similar ones) will be separately priced as add-ons.

Im thinking of also adding video tutorial classes which can be entolled into.

So what do you guys think of the plan? The free framework will have almost all the bells and whistles, while the paid modules will only be addons that people can do without but would be nice to have. Its a full fledged framework that would definitely speed up theme making without putting any restriction to what your theme can do.

I can provide more details, just ask away :)

238 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
dmsumon says

That would be wonderful

89 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
hainug says

Can’t wait any longer :D

365 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
OrangeIdea says

Very interesting.

1185 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

Can’t wait to see it. Sounds promising. :)

82 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
GJThemes says

You should… actually the “free model” of business proves to work very well. I mean look at open source and how it has become so popular. You could definitely do well with a free framework because it would also dramatically increase your exposure once word gets out. I’ve never seen your framework in action but I would be interested in seeing it if you do go free.

Like for me, I plan on moving more towards free themes and templates because there is a much better advantage on many levels, even cross marketing with others.

238 posts
+2 more
dmsumon says

When we will see it??? Can’t wait anymore :D

221 posts The Joomla Guy
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
hogash says

Great idea!!

225 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Palestinian Territory
+5 more
YousefShanti says

Sounds like it’s going to be my starting point in WP development! :reallyevil:

238 posts
+2 more
dmsumon says

Hey everyone, im thinking of releasing my Wordpress theme framework for free. Im thinking of also monetizing it by providing paid support and paid modules. I would like to ask for your opinions regarding this. If i get a lot of positive feedback, i just might continue with this venture.

So to make things short, the framework sits on top of WP and is essentially a blank theme. It’s set up in a modified MVC model. Think of it this way, it has 2 folders: library and application. The library folder contains all the framework code, while the application folder contains all your theme’s files (php files, scripts, images, etc). Both folders contain models, views and controllers. Its easily updatable since all your files are in the application folder.

Aside from this the framework is complete and comes with an image resizer, smart script loader, shortcode api, admin panel api, etc. it makes building the front end (theme design) and admin UI very fast. Customizing the framework is also easy since application files can readiy override library files.

The code will hopefulu be free, while support will have a fee.

Modules such as an auto multilingual module (and some other similar ones) will be separately priced as add-ons.

Im thinking of also adding video tutorial classes which can be entolled into.

So what do you guys think of the plan? The free framework will have almost all the bells and whistles, while the paid modules will only be addons that people can do without but would be nice to have. Its a full fledged framework that would definitely speed up theme making without putting any restriction to what your theme can do.

I can provide more details, just ask away :)

bfintal@@ Where are you we want to hear from you when we shall get it? When we shall get the good news? :)

by
by
by
by
by
by