1698 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

@Dzicn, so could you tell me why every time I contact support they say me that I should send a DMCA? I don’t want DMCA, I want intervention from staff. ;)

Staff cannot intervene without DMCA. I also don’t like the things happening and the copy pasters.

80 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
urbanray says

There should be a small report button on every item’s detail page, displayed for authors only. Authors could report any theme and add a small description, maybe a link to the copied item. Then reviewers would decide if the report is justified and if yes, suspend/remove the item. There would be only a few justified reports a week, so reports would have the highest priority, reviewed every single day.

The some authors would be pressing that button on every second item claiming that its similar design to their items and it will end up adding so much extra work for the reviewers.

1775 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Staff can’t intervene? It’s Envato’s website, they have the right to remove any design with any reason they want, they don’t have to justify anything.

61 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
FreshCreations says

on what theme does this go about (just curious)

161 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
themebros says

Staff can’t intervene? It’s Envato’s website, they have the right to remove any design with any reason they want, they don’t have to justify anything.

Same as they were able to disable whole accounts without any notice for having a picture of Angie in a theme demo. The only difference in this case is that it’s completely justified.

5411 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

@Dzicn, so could you tell me why every time I contact support they say me that I should send a DMCA? I don’t want DMCA, I want intervention from staff. ;)

The DMCA process is the current standard. There’s a good reply from Collis here on why Support needs to go through the DMCA process – http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/a-question-of-ethics-or-contributory-copyright-theft-/81015?page=4

1004 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
purethemes says

The DMCA process is the current standard. There’s a good reply from Collis here on why Support needs to go through the DMCA process – http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/a-question-of-ethics-or-contributory-copyright-theft-/81015?page=4

That doesn’t say one important thing – why Envato (company from Australia) which is dealing with authors from all around the world ( from Mexico through Greece to Nepal), is using United States copyright law.

3236 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

That doesn’t say one important thing – why Envato (company from Australia) which is dealing with authors from all around the world ( from Mexico through Greece to Nepal), is using United States copyright law.

It’s because their servers are in the US they fall under US law same goes for any author who’s hosting is in the US (edit: I forgot to add OR any countries with copyright treaties with the US)

6000 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Lets be fair, DMCA is the only proper way and so it costs little pain equally for everyone involved (including Envato).

However from Envato’s side, there is a way to drastically reduce internal copy-cats. If Envato asks for identity proof to become an author, 90% of copy-cats wont even open their accounts. Problem solved.

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

When somebody replicates 1:1 the look and functions of an existing popular item, to use completely different js/css/html doesn’t make the thing less harmful for the original author.

Frankly speaking, what this issue has to do with copyrights and DMCA notices ? Authors here are afraid of losing money due to copycats (as in design) rather than code ripping.

by
by
by
by
by
by