1012 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

One thing, how IP complaints or DMCA works? Someone sends you info that author uses illegal files or stolen code – do you verify it or just assume that person is right and you take steps (like soft-disabling item) immediately, and than you wait for author’s response?

the answer is here:

http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/115/64/a-dmca-takedown-notice-has-been-issued-against-my-item

Am I the only one who see it as a easy tool to abuse and get rid of competition (not that I would ever do that, but you know, some men just want to watch the world burn) I mean – what if someone send DMCA notice which was false, it only can harm author, there’s no way he can get compensation for that.

3445 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

One thing, how IP complaints or DMCA works? Someone sends you info that author uses illegal files or stolen code – do you verify it or just assume that person is right and you take steps (like soft-disabling item) immediately, and than you wait for author’s response?

the answer is here:

http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/115/64/a-dmca-takedown-notice-has-been-issued-against-my-item
Am I the only one who see it as a easy tool to abuse and get rid of competition (not that I would ever do that, but you know, some men just want to watch the world burn) I mean – what if someone send DMCA notice which was false, it only can harm author, there’s no way he can get compensation for that.

Yup, that’s a big issue with the DMCA in general. There are actually strict penalties for falsely reporting a violation (you could theoretically be compensated) – however, I can’t imagine they are enforced; I expect it would never be financially worthwhile to pursue.

Still, that’s an issue with the law, not Envato. The law states that if the service provider (Envato) does not remove the copyrighted material promptly, they are liable for the infringement. (That’s not to say it shouldn’t be investigated first to verify the claim, of course – but it’s in everyone’s best interest for Envato to err on the side of caution in questionable situations – if the marketplace gets shut down by a copyright suit, we all lose).

Applicability of U.S. laws internationally is another debate altogether I suppose :)

3243 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

EDIT : got beat

1389 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
Pdesignx says

i have browsed recent items after seeing this thread, and saw bunch of copyrighted photos in demos… from Katy Perry to Porsches, iPads to iPhones… things are out of control, so stop blaming just one author and kicking him out ;)

2580 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

i have browsed recent items after seeing this thread, and saw bunch of copyrighted photos in demos… from Katy Perry to Porsches, iPads to iPhones… things are out of control, so stop blaming just one author and kicking him out ;)
Mmmmm Katy Perry.
3243 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
organicbee says

> Mmmmm Katy Perry.

put a donk on it

1525 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

The problem with this: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/115/64/a-dmca-takedown-notice-has-been-issued-against-my-item

is that you first do this

At our discretion, freeze earnings of the author from the sale of the item, as per our Membership Terms and Conditions.

and then send them a digital copy of the DMCA take down notice.

Even if you just freez the item itself it is still hit in someones funds specialy if they aint guilty.

and the part of the text “At our discretion” is a bit disturbing.

1141 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

This still makes me mad, and I still wonder how the envato management thinks about potentially permanent account deactivations without prior notice.

7590 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

This still makes me mad, and I still wonder how the envato management thinks about potentially permanent account deactivations without prior notice.

they already answer to this. see the message from Vahid on previous page

1141 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

@ doru: Yep I saw that post, and I think I know what you mean.

by
by
by
by
by
by