2230 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
crozer says

Stop talking about “Envato treating anybody” bad. They’re not treating wpCanyon bad, nor are they treating any other author badly.

This, however, does not justify the lack of professionalism on Envato’s behalf. It is, sorry to say, truly ridiculous. You can’t just disable an account because one image (pardon me, but Angelina Jolie?) is copyrighted; you cannot disable an item without (serious) prior warnings, much less an account.

These copyrighted matters are going to increase with time, which is why Envato must develop a unique team dedicated to handling, as they should, copyrighted matters. A few years back things like these were acceptable, but with the size of these marketplaces plus the fact that many authors are basing their businesses on these platforms, what is happening to wpCanyon is no longer acceptable.

I know i’m giving you a lot of trash lately, Envato, but it’s love ;)
Chris

1383 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
wpCanyonThemes says

I wanted to update you guys to let you know I’m working with Slobodan and team right now to resolve this issue. It’s a bit complex but I think we’re very close to having this 100% resolved, I’ve also contacted some other staff members to do my best to speed things up for you. :)

Thanks again for speeding this up Drew. :)

Just a little suggestion, if this was not a mistake, i think the rules should change a bit, because deactivating an account is quite a big thing for something like this. I think putting the item in question in soft-disable mode is enough. Then he gets a reminder email every 15 days (of course, completely automated system). No need for disabling the account at all in my opinion.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I was under the impression accounts would only be disabled if a repeat offense was occurred?

I myself had a warning message sent last week re some items and offending images – only one item actually had offending images and I replaced as requested – no issue. Funny thing was the other reported items were actually using images purchased from graphic river and not supplied in the download – but got that cleared up also.

I’m all for everyone being compliant and sticking to the law on copyright for sure – myself included and move quickly in these instances – but as mentioned a soft reject of an item surely would be better in cases like this as sometimes, also as previously mentioned the author may be out of town, no internet, hospital, vacation etc and needs to be able to address the issue on return – no sales during the down time is totally acceptable, and speeds up authors to get things done quickly, plus stops any further copyright complaints.

All in all it’s a learning exercise for all I guess – but this seems to of maybe not gone down the right way and I am sure the staff will be using this as a case study to outline some better ways of processing these things.

Happy things are getting sorted out now.

Jonathan

4337 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

I wanted to update you guys to let you know I’m working with Slobodan and team right now to resolve this issue. It’s a bit complex but I think we’re very close to having this 100% resolved, I’ve also contacted some other staff members to do my best to speed things up for you. :)

Just a little suggestion, if this was not a mistake, i think the rules should change a bit, because deactivating an account is quite a big thing for something like this. I think putting the item in question in soft-disable mode is enough. Then he gets a reminder email every 15 days (of course, completely automated system). No need for disabling the account at all in my opinion.

It’s our duty as authors to select the assets we use. In case we mess up, I don’t see the point of waiting 150 days :P

But no worries, I for one, have a very simple rule I follow with my items. Anything that’s soft disabled needs to be fixed in under 24 hours. Regardless if it’s a freshly uploaded file or not! These things are not to be postponed, especially since the asset thing has been discussed for the past months, posted on notes, posted on the forums, reposted on the forum, etc etc.

1383 posts
+1 more
wpCanyonThemes says

It’s our duty as authors to select the assets we use. In case we mess up, I don’t see the point of waiting 150 days :P

But no worries, I have a rule of thumb. Anything that’s soft disabled needs to be fixed in under 24 hours. Regardless if it’s a freshly uploaded file or not! These things are not to be postponed, especially since the asset thing has been discussed for the past months, posted on notes, posted on the forums, reposted on the forum, etc etc.

I have nothing against the soft-disable of the item. My issue is with disabling the whole account.

(that’s the answer to what you said before editing the post :) )

47 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
eduvoindo says

Hi guys…

Just my two cents…

Being very honest, I don’t get the point in disabling an account because one single offending item. Is it like a penalty of some kind? I confess I’m a rather recent author (older buyer though), and am not entirely educated to talk about the whole envato’s policy regarding this matter.

Common sense says me that, if one item offends a policy, it should be removed (apparently the technical name is soft-disabled). Which did happen. From there, all it looks is as a punishment.

If this is really a policy (and again, I’m not as educated on this matter as I probably should) my two cents is that it is really unfair, because the policy does not cope with many reasons already mentioned by fellow authors. If it was an accident, happens to anyone (just not a very good luck for wpCanyonThemes).

Hope all goes well, and everybody learns something (I will probably) with this incident. Regards to all, Eduardo

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Hi everyone,

1) Notifications of the content policy review went out via the Notes blog and author dashboard, in addition to item disablements, etc. It’s important that the community understand these violations are serious issues and can lead to account disablement.

2) We do our best to respond as quickly as possible to support requests, especially account disablements, and I feel our response time in this situation was very reasonable. However, we ran into an unexpected issue that has caused a delay in the enablement process of the account, which is a separate issue from what’s being discussed here.

3) There are reasons for each disablement, but the details of these are to be discussed with authors privately. We won’t discuss these on the forums. The best way to avoid item or account disablement is to ensure your items adhere to all applicable copyright / IP requirements and policies.

- -

We then replied to the email explaining the situation (4 days and 1 image in 1 item) and we were told that it’ll be reactivated in 1 hour, which was 11 hours ago.

This was not an official response, it was an internal communication between two staff members in which I informed another member of my team that the account enablement should be resolved within the hour or so. That was before I was aware of the account re-enablement issue.

The issue has been identified and is being resolved.

- -

If anyone has any other questions or concerns, you can submit a ticket at support.envato.com and ask to speak with me. I’d be happy to answer your questions or help however possible.

Thanks!

962 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
EireStudio says

Absolutely ridiculous disabling an account :(

@Drew, Could you chime in and give your thoughts on this copyright/account disabling. What happens if I release a theme with an overlooked image? Will my account be disabled?

1525 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Still, this sounds like someone being trialed and convicted b4 he had a chance to explain/defend him self… innocent until proven guilty i think is the case for most trials. That’s why you disable his item and that’s no harm done to anyone, if “braking the law” continues or not cleared up,then the big shutdown goes in place. Well that’s just my opinion.

As someone mentioned, we still love ya envato :)

1141 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

Same happened here. Our account was disabled (for 24 hours in my case). Customers got mad. I couldn’t log in anymore and had no more controls over items, comments and earnings.

I also received a message about a soft disabled item some days ago. I’m not reuploading it as it’s an old item. In the days before the lockout I went through my items and removed all questionable content.

Seems like TF didn’t check for compliance, and just locked me out. Well.

What really makes me mad, is the fact that where should be the “details to be discussed with authors privately”, there’s a blank space in the email:

For example, see these posts and articles (some of which have also been notified via your author dashboard):

Remember, we cannot be copyright investigators, and have not conducted …

So, TF didn’t throw me a bone, they just locked me out of everything, without giving me any reason. So far, there have been no details to discuss, only the fact that I was one-click deleted.

I’m on TF for more than 2 years now and my items have earned the marketplace more than $ 20.000, not counting my own earnings of course. Also, if you take a look at the number of my forum entries, I’ve always actively worked on/with the themeforest community. I’m no spammer or pirate who can be treated like you treated me.

I had a sleepless night, and I’m feeling a bit like a dog in North Korea now. I’m not sure when such a lockout will happen again, it’s definitely not the way I would treat my customers or partners. EVER .

by
by
by
by
by
by