• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Romania
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
icypixels says

We’re all making money because of Envato and Envato because of us.

That’s definitely a harsh treatment for your partners, Envato.

I just hope I won’t ever be in your place, fellow authors which had this happen to you.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Hi everyone,

1) Details of the issues that led to disablements were listed in item disablements and the account disablement notification lists why it occurred.

2) This was a special case of a content policy review in which all authors received advanced notice of via author dashboard and our company Notes blog and was only temporary pending confirmation of a few points in the original message.

Normally we would have been able to re-enable accounts within 8 hours of receiving response from an author on the original notification ticket, but, as I said before, we ran into an unexpected issue that delayed the process. Everyone that has confirmed the necessary information has been re-enabled in less than 24 hours.

3) We’ve received feedback from authors involved and, in addition to the feedback here, will be sure to alter our process for future content policy reviews to best work with our community and avoid account disruption.

I think it’s important for everyone to understand that there were advanced notifications of the content policy review and that account disablements were due to issues we’ve been notifying our community about over the last several months and about how serious these issues can be. Overall, every author was re-enabled in less than 24 hours of receipt of confirmation of the information we required. (It would’ve been even less had we not experienced an unexpected marketplace error, which has also been identified and resolved.)

Could the process have been handled better and in even less time? I believe so and I absolutely aim to make it so in any future content policy reviews.

6769 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

can I join in? :)

but I will make no one happy.

first, envato staff clearly specified that no more “Angelina Jolie” type of images will be tolerated, and “Is just a image” excuse makes me laugh.

second, it also makes me laugh how this was handled by envato. disabling the account? An ELITE account? :)

I will keep a 0.01% doubt that is not only the image the reason here, BUT if is ONLY that image, then this is really stupid and there is no excuse. Who disabled that account, please fire him. I don’t want him around MY account.

3058 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
wickedpixel says

So, like, there is only a temporary disable? No fine? I think there should be like a fine… a percentage from sales or something! :)

70 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
TitanicThemes says

Maybe Angelina Jolie made a DMCA complain :).

Joking…

We all know that half of themeforest items have problems like this and it`s about time TF handle the problem. There are to many images from games, public persons,movies, videos, trailers etc. I had also an item soft rejected for the same problem… i changed the picture and received the message.. your uploaded item needs improvement. Funny no ?

Regarding the disabled account.. i agree with doru.

A good think to do is that themeforest verifies also the copryright part before aproving an item from now on, to avoid this kind of issues.

6769 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

Hi everyone,

1) Details of the issues that led to disablements were listed in item disablements and the account disablement notification lists why it occurred.

2) This was a special case of a content policy review in which all authors received advanced notice of via author dashboard and our company Notes blog and was only temporary pending confirmation of a few points in the original message.

Normally we would have been able to re-enable accounts within 8 hours of receiving response from an author on the original notification ticket, but, as I said before, we ran into an unexpected issue that delayed the process. Everyone that has confirmed the necessary information has been re-enabled in less than 24 hours.

3) We’ve received feedback from authors involved and, in addition to the feedback here, will be sure to alter our process for future content policy reviews to best work with our community and avoid account disruption.

I think it’s important for everyone to understand that there were advanced notifications of the content policy review and that account disablements were due to issues we’ve been notifying our community about over the last several months and about how serious these issues can be. Overall, every author was re-enabled in less than 24 hours of receipt of confirmation of the information we required. (It would’ve been even less had we not experienced an unexpected marketplace error, which has also been identified and resolved.)

Could the process have been handled better and in even less time? I believe so and I absolutely aim to make it so in any future content policy reviews.

I confess that I don’t understand half of what you write here.

I don’t know what “item disablements and the account disablement notification” means. Is some area from the dashboard?

by “advanced notice of via author dashboard and our company Notes blog” you mean the announcement made couple of months ago concerning the use of certain type of images in previews no?

Also probably unrelated but this user from videohive disappeared. http://videohive.net/user/Polansky Maybe is the same issue and he doesn’t even know his account is disabled.

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

The problem is that I don’t think that anyone has answered the question that has been posed several times on this thread. Why was the entire account disabled and not just the item? Or if you’re not allowed to talk about the specifics of this case, then what type of infringements might lead to an immediate account disablement, rather than just item removal?

Copyright is a thorny area, especially for novices. I’ve been searching for creative commons media on many an occasion, and found stuff that’s published under a creative commons licence for which the author of the creative commons image couldn’t possibly have the rights to give away. I tend to stick to reliable sources like Wikimedia. However, it’s a minefield – you can’t always take CC licences at face value, and this thread is kind of giving the impression that one slip and you’re banned. (which I’m sure isn’t the case)

Info would be a fine thing. :)

1141 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
KarmaThemes says

Do you know that situation? You read BAD news and feel like somethings creeping into the back of your head? You feel the heartbeat in your throat? You’re shocked and close to losing control?

That’s how I felt yesterday when I was deleted. Just so, without prior notice. Thanks envato, thanks themeforest for that and a sleepless night.

I relied on you.

234 posts What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
Prothemeus says

What I don’t understand is how Envato can so easily disable his account? A lot of authors here do this work fulltime for a living and by disabling his (or anyone’s) account, Envato is jeopardizing the author’s livelihood. Envato should have given the author enough time (let’s say a week) to change the image. He certainly has earned enough money for Envato so why the quick judgement?

On another note; What happens if I use a Creative Commons image (free for commercial use) and the author of that image decides to change the license without me knowing?

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

Guys,

we can say anything… to be safe there are only 2 options:

1: Buy photos

2: Take your own photos with your camera

All the other options are dangerous and you must take in consideration the risks of using any type of free material.

Also if you find a free photo today, tomorrow it could be commercial or have its license terms changed in any way…

Be always safe with your business ;)

Parker

by
by
by
by
by
by