3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Not long ago everyone was using copyrighted images, so i don’t agree with what you said. I’m sure you used them as well :)
actually this rule applied only on themeforest, the rest of the marketplace had never been allowed to use any content for preview if you were not able to provide a correct license.
Have you ever visited GraphicRiver? :D
why? what happened? you can use Angelina Jolie photos on graphicriver?
You know it’s illegal to make any graphic reproduction of any Apple product, right? Those guys there are selling all kinds of iPhones and iPads :D
7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

WPScientist is using this same photo of Angelina Jolie in his CodeCanyon’s item. What about it? Is it allowed? I can’t understand something. :P

disable the account! :)

someone checked the items on themeforest not those on codecanyon. this must be the reason.

You know it’s illegal to make any graphic reproduction of any Apple product, right? Those guys there are selling all kinds of iPhones and iPads :D

nope. you can do it, but you are not allowed to include the logo.

590 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
CodeSwift says

WPScientist is using this same photo of Angelina Jolie in his CodeCanyon’s item. What about it? Is it allowed? I can’t understand something. :P

disable the account! :)

someone checked the items on themeforest not those on codecanyon. this must be the reason.

Haha.

We’re currently going through all the items looking for images that need to be changed (should be Angie only, but better safe then sorry). Then we’ll find some nice replacements (even thou she’s irreplaceable) and by tomorrow all will be by the rules.

1141 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

The thing is:

I removed the content (G. Clooney) before my account was deleted. They didn’t check, they just locked me for NO reason.

Feels cosy, doesn’t it?

1012 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+7 more
purethemes says

I find some things pretty disturbing: A lot of people are chiming in that elite authors should be allowed such mistakes “since they are not new here”. To me, that’s exactly a reason why this author should know the rules better.
No one says they should be allowed, we only say that disabling account is not commensurable to what they did. And I’ve said it before and I’ll say again – if someone is Elite author it means that Envato earned quite a lot of money on their work so they shoudn’t treat him like a first time kid. I understand disabling account if someone copied someone elses design or things like that, not in this case when Item was soft-disabled already.

A lot of people are complaining that disabling an account prevents them from making money. Making money with unauthorized usage of copyrighted images? The nerve…
I don’t know about you, but for me TF is main source of income, I would probably get a heart attack if my account would be suddenly disabled. And you’re missing the problem here – it was one item with one image and it was already soft-disabled so no one was making money on that! The problem is that it led to disabling whole account without any chance for explaining.
393 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
WPExplorer says

Welcome back & good luck with sales!

4337 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

Remember guys, it’s our duty as authors to check if the assets we use are allowed for commercial projects. If there is a picture with Herp Derp, and a person who has a site says it’s okay to use it, that doesn’t mean Herp Derp gave his permission! Always check, recheck, screenshoot, the license to make sure you’re in the safe zone in cases as these! :)

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Hi everyone,

Lots of feedback, lots of questions. Here goes…

I had also an item soft rejected for the same problem… i changed the picture and received the message.. your uploaded item needs improvement. Funny no ?

I’ll be looking into this. That shouldn’t have happened (the needs improvement part).

Hi everyone,

1) Details of the issues that led to disablements were listed in item disablements and the account disablement notification lists why it occurred.

2) This was a special case of a content policy review in which all authors received advanced notice of via author dashboard and our company Notes blog and was only temporary pending confirmation of a few points in the original message.

Normally we would have been able to re-enable accounts within 8 hours of receiving response from an author on the original notification ticket, but, as I said before, we ran into an unexpected issue that delayed the process. Everyone that has confirmed the necessary information has been re-enabled in less than 24 hours.

3) We’ve received feedback from authors involved and, in addition to the feedback here, will be sure to alter our process for future content policy reviews to best work with our community and avoid account disruption.

I think it’s important for everyone to understand that there were advanced notifications of the content policy review and that account disablements were due to issues we’ve been notifying our community about over the last several months and about how serious these issues can be. Overall, every author was re-enabled in less than 24 hours of receipt of confirmation of the information we required. (It would’ve been even less had we not experienced an unexpected marketplace error, which has also been identified and resolved.)

Could the process have been handled better and in even less time? I believe so and I absolutely aim to make it so in any future content policy reviews.

I confess that I don’t understand half of what you write here.

I don’t know what “item disablements and the account disablement notification” means. Is some area from the dashboard?

by “advanced notice of via author dashboard and our company Notes blog” you mean the announcement made couple of months ago concerning the use of certain type of images in previews no?

Also probably unrelated but this user from videohive disappeared. [removed] Maybe is the same issue and he doesn’t even know his account is disabled.

Item disablement = An item that we have soft-disabled or hard-disabled for a specific reason. A soft-disabled item can be fixed and resubmitted, a hard-disabled item cannot.

Account disablement notification = When we notify a user that we’ve disabled their account.

Regarding advanced notice; we’ve been publishing Notes blog posts for months now, including notifications in authors’ dashboards.

The author you referenced was not affected by this content policy review on ThemeForest.

Do you know that situation? You read BAD news and feel like somethings creeping into the back of your head? You feel the heartbeat in your throat? You’re shocked and close to losing control?

That’s how I felt yesterday when I was deleted. Just so, without prior notice. Thanks envato, thanks themeforest for that and a sleepless night.

I relied on you.

To be clear, your account wasn’t deleted. It was a temporary disablement that you were notified about with clear instructions for re-enablement. To be fair, we didn’t disable your account without reason. We also made sure your account was active again in well under 24 hours from receiving the necessary confirmation of information.

Off topic: @KarmaThemes Your paw is gone?

Yeah, must have been some unforseeable issue in the system. Today I’m just happy being able to send my withdrawal request.

Don’t care for paws anymore.

Paws are dynamically generated so they may have taken a short amount of time to reappear. They all appear to be back.

Also what is this: “The best way to avoid item or account disablement is to ensure your items adhere to all applicable copyright / IP requirements and policies.” – i literally have no idea what you are talking about with IPs.

Intellectual Property. Please read here: http://notes.envato.com/authors/content-policy-review-themeforest-site-templates/

• In some countries this is considered a serious intellectual property crime, let alone the fact that money are involved.

This is exactly why we’re doing content policy reviews and doing our best to make our community aware of how serious an issue this is. Thank you.

Guys,

Just want to let you know that this issue was resolved 7 hours ago. When the issue came to Drew his attention he immediately tried to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

I trust Envato that they will do their best to improve this process after the feedback we, and other authors, have given.
:|
Why the :| ?
Because it shoud have been resolved that quickly without Drew’s attention. Seeing KarmaThemes’ post I can see that’s some kind of new trend here – disabling accounts. Seriously, we make a living thanks to you, and you make a living thanks to us, how this could even happen. I wonder if Collis is up to date with the things happening here recently.

1) It was being resolved as quickly as possible from the very beginning. Unforeseen issues happen sometimes, but we certainly do our best to prevent them.

2) Disabling accounts due to content policy reviews isn’t a normal occurrence.

The problem is that I don’t think that anyone has answered the question that has been posed several times on this thread.

We ran a content policy review. We found potential copyright / intellectual property violations and disabled the items. According to the process we decided on, authors were notified and some authors were disabled with clear instructions as to why and how to get their account re-enabled. Everything was handled in less than 24 hours.

As I said before, we will certainly improve this process for any future occurrences and we aren’t going around disabling accounts without reason. Anyone who was affected was taken care of as quickly as possible.

If there’s anything else you might not be clear on, please let me know and I’ll do my best to clarify for you and please be sure to read: http://notes.envato.com/authors/content-policy-review-themeforest-site-templates/

Thanks everyone!

7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

If there’s anything else you might not be clear on, please let me know and I’ll do my best to clarify for you

sorry but the single most important question of this thread was repeated couple of times by me and other authors and got no answer.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

sorry but the single most important question of this thread was repeated couple of times by me and other authors and got no answer.

Hey doru, I’ve gone over your posts but I’m not sure which question you’re referring to that hasn’t been answered yet. Would you mind clarifying for me so that I may answer your question or make sure that another staff member does?

Thanks!

by
by
by
by
by
by