• Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

Since I can’t post in a locked thread I will post here.

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/apologies/68221?page=3#599864

posted by KingDog Community Ambassador

Since it doesn’t look like there’s anything I can do to convince you to talk to Support rather than continue to encourage hacking on the forums, I have to lock this thread down. We certainly want to make everything as secure as we can, but there comes a point where it becomes more about drama and grandstanding than being actually helpful to our community. Thanks.

Just to let you know that I’m deeply offended about what you stated in this message especially because you are a staff member and the Community Ambassador

I’m not denying your right to lock that thread so is not this the problem.

Thecodingdude tried to be helpful, he made a “mistake” then apologize. There was no “encourage hacking on the forums” as you stated.

Also “becomes more about drama and grandstanding than being actually helpful to our community.” is plain insulting. This is the problem, the community tries to help envato gets better, envato staff consider this “drama and grandstanding”. Thank You for the sincerity.

2035 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

Unfortunately your post was flagged – interested in what you had to say, however. Would you mind emailing me the post? :P

5174 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

Doru, if you continue to read through the thread you’ll see there is continued discussion of exploits and hacking. Although it was an attempt at an apology, the thread continued to serve as a way to bring up exploits on the forum rather than go through the proper support channels. I have no problem with the apology, but we can not use the forums to encourage exploits etc.

I’m sorry you found my comments insulting, but after repeated warnings if you continue to bring up the topic again and again one has to wonder if it’s only for the sake of attracting attention.

7173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

My problem is with the way the thread was closed. Even if that thread could had been interpreted as you say a staff member should just keep it neutral and lock the thread for breaking the forum rules. A simple “Thread locked for breaking forum rules” message should had been sufficient. An additional link or quote from the forum rules could also help.

I’m not denying your right to have an opinion and to discuss it on the forum, but saying your opinion about something AND lock the thread with no possibility for someone to replicate is rude and may be or appear insulting.

I apologize if I give the impression I want to teach people how to moderate, is not my intention.

I know this thread doesn’t respect the forum rules (attacking other user or staff members) but your post in that thread was not respecting forum rules either, so we are even.

probably this thread should be locked

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

I’m usually against censorship, not saying that’s what happened here. Just saying in general. But as authors we have to realize that continued talk about the tuts issue is bad for business. Envato handled damage control the best they could. Could they have avoided it? Sure, but there’s no point crying over spilled milk. Best to move on and assume Envato’s going to work toward preventing these kind of things in the future.

7173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

I’m usually against censorship, not saying that’s what happened here.

There was no censorship, I think is important to clarify this.

5174 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

Fair enough Doru :) Sometimes I feel like just cut & pasting from the forum rules makes us appear a little robotic. But I understand what you’re saying about posting an opinion and then locking the thread. It wasn’t my intention to be rude, but I definitely need to watch that I don’t come across too sarcastic :)

2035 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

I thought KingDog’s response sounded a bit rude, however I know he didn’t mean it, it’s the fact of the internet. You cannot express emotion.

Originally I thought his post was deleted simply for exposing Envato, but as it turns out it was for breaking the rules. I guess I expected that if it was breaking the rules his post would be edited and the thread would be locked with an explanation, not just randomly disappear as if Envato was trying to cover something up.

by
by
by
by
by
by