613 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
Basspartout says

Hello, MusicBox! Many authors have told their opinions, and I agree with them. I hope one more could be useful too. I listened to your portfolio, your music is beautiful, and it’s wonder that no sales. Maybe proplem is wider than technical and advertisement matter? What I mean (sorry for my English, I hope to be understood): as it knows, sales are happening absolute randomly, by fortune. I think that important things in our life which happen randomly are the reflections of our unvisible psychic processes. So If no sales with very good portfolio maybe it’s a sign to correct something in other parts of life, not only musical practice? From experience I know Karma works always! Or maybe … this is simply a test for your believing in success? :) . Only my opinion, sorry again :) And Good Luck!

This is very wise and many times overlooked, either because we think it’s too ‘esoteric’ or we are trying to avoid it, because we want to feel ‘in control’ in our rational and fast times.

But I always find it true and if we pay attention to it, it might not only be easier to cope with a difficult or seemingly ‘not explainable’ situation, but even to take advantage of it and grow. Now before I start sounding like a bad self help book from the nineties, let me give you an example:
I had both the fortune and bad luck of getting a pretty early in my ‘career’ weekly item feature of one of my funk/groove tracks. I was only three month on AJ and hadn’t written a single track for the holy grail ‘Corporate Motivational’ category. Being a newbie, I thought just being on the frontpage for four weeks equals the jackpot in the lottery. And believe me, the rollercoaster of emotions and events I went through in these next 4 weeks, I hardly was prepared for. (And we’re not talking having a chart hit here, but ‘only’ getting featured on a spot on a Royalty Free Marketplace). So long story short, after four weeks being on the front page I had 7 (!!) sales. There were more nice comments on the track though…. but I was devestated and thought the universe is trying to mock me, lol. And apart from this, I dont wanna mention what even the tiniest bit of ‘success’ can sometimes bring out in some ‘friends’, who are used to seeing you struggling with them and like to keep it that way. And that is only one event…. guess I could fill a book with the other stuff in only two years now…. might HAVE to come back to it if my sales will STAY the way they are right now in this cruel beginning of December, lol :D
So, yep, Cheers to Ladanauskas for having the courage to write about it :)

Edit: And I can swear my 1 year member badge turned into the blue two year badge exactly while writing this post (... mysterious background music playing…), although I think they also change at midnight Melbourne time along with the others…. or maybe not… ( ...still even more mysterious sounding background music playing…)

749 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Located in United States
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
MusicBoxStudios says

I just want to thank everyone on this thread who took the time to not only reply, but actually listened to some of my music and offered very constructive criticism and useful tips. Many people talk about the sense of community here at AJ. Today I learned first hand what they meant!

Thank you all.

1480 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Mihai_Sorohan says

What can help from my experience:
- getting your music “out there” on several platforms (Soundcloud, Facebook band page, Newgrounds, Bandcamp…etc).
- use the “groups” feature.
- offer some freebies for both producers and future clients (from synth patches, some short instrument loops, Kontakt libraries to some tracks).
- getting to know several fandoms and styles from inside and build a fan base.
- pretty page ! everybody loves a pretty page.
- join the AJ Facebook group for a more focused feedback on specific tracks. https://www.facebook.com/groups/418099404912567/

255 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
RomanosMusic says

I know just how you feel :)

KabbalisticVillage
KabbalisticVillage Recent Posts Threads Started
831 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
+3 more
KabbalisticVillage says

What can help from my experience:
- getting your music “out there” on several platforms (Soundcloud, Facebook band page, Newgrounds, Bandcamp…etc).
- use the “groups” feature.
- offer some freebies for both producers and future clients (from synth patches, some short instrument loops, Kontakt libraries to some tracks).
- getting to know several fandoms and styles from inside and build a fan base.
- pretty page ! everybody loves a pretty page.
- join the AJ Facebook group for a more focused feedback on specific tracks. https://www.facebook.com/groups/418099404912567/

What is newgrounds? How does it work?

866 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
MichalskiMusic says

The most important thing you can do is to listen.

Listen to tracks that do well and listen to some every day. I like to listen to the Top New Items by category on Audiojungle Radio. Always listen to what is selling.

Listen to the advice of those who are doing well here. They might not have all the answers but they have some of them and they were in your shoes at one time.

Listen to tracks that sound like what you want to write. Download a preview and use it as a reference track when you are writing your own.

Most if all, listen to your self and write what makes you happy and excited. Use the music of others who are successful to guide you but write what is inside you and make sure you don’t post the track until it sounds exactly as you want it to sound.

I went six weeks before my first sale. I thought I would never sell a thing but I keep writing. Once I started selling it was long between sales but I kept writing. Things started picking up after a few months and I kept writing. The writing kept getting better as did the sales because, through all if it, I kept listening.

Listen. Listen every day. And write consistently based on what you learn from listening and the sales will come. Don’t make the sales the point. Make the listening and the writing the point.

Hope this helps.

2055 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
+5 more
gballx says

Those were very good and helpful words Michael. :) I shall endevour to listen to what sells as you mention but I am still persuing a sound that I have in my head but maybe that will stop soon! :)

866 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
MichalskiMusic says

Those were very good and helpful words Michael. :) I shall endevour to listen to what sells as you mention but I am still persuing a sound that I have in my head but maybe that will stop soon! :)

I have a sound in my head as well but it keeps getting blocked by all those voices in there with it. No…NO, I will NOT write a duet for Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber. I won’t do it! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

170 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
solarsound says

Musicbox,

A couple of your comments stood out to me.

First, if you don’t like Ukelele music, then why make it? It is easy to fall into the trap of making music that you don’t like, because others do well at selling it. Don’t do that. There are hundreds of Ukelele tracks on here by people that are already doing well at selling it. Buyers are unlikely going to sift down to find your track, when there are hundreds of others to choose from.

Second. Your dubstep tracks aren’t really dubstep. Nothing will turn a buyer off more than clicking on a track that they think is a certain genre, and it isn’t what they are looking for.

If you like dubstep, then study it. Find out how to make it as good if not better than the dubstep tracks that are top of the top.

Find a genre you like to make and put your own spin on it. Find a way to make that style fit into the advertising mold, so that a buyer is going to want to use it.

Don’t make tracks if your heart is not in it. It will definitely be a waste of time. Hope that isn’t too harsh. Just trying to help.

by
by
by
by
by
by