121 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
tansh says

I have question to themeforest through this thread…

It seems that themeforest do not have any problem for copying layout (correction…complete layout) with some minor graphical changes…. (I’m not bringing in whether ipad, iphone or laptop slider, shape of cup and all…!).

I know it is not copyright violation, but is it right morally..?

If all authors start doing such things, where this will lead themeforest…?

Or better include one more text field labeled as “Inspired by” while item upload, so as to avoid such debates and problems author need to face…just a joke though… :)

Answer from envato will be appreciated.

Thanks.

What you don’t seem to understand is, my website didn’t require “minor” graphical changes. I worked day and night, soft rejection after soft rejection trying to get this landing page approved. You make it seem that I literally copied and pasted their website’s code/graphics and made it my own.. That’s ridiculous, and discombobulating.

I am legally, morally and respectfully allowed to utilize a similar layout concept for my website, landing page or anything else for that matter without having issues. Unfortunately, smaller trolls made this fact impossible.

My landing page does not (at least I have not seen) have a similar design to one located on ThemeForest’s server. Furthermore, there are MANY deviations on my landing page from the one everyone keeps referring to. And as I have reiterated over and over prior to this, I was soft rejected 2 times before I finally got it approved…

Have a nice day. My case is rested and this has honestly gone too far because I created a thread.

Thomas

I’m expecting themeforest staff to answer here…! I’m confused between inspiration and own creation. It will be nice if they can refer me to some guidelines.

152 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
seal says

I’m afraid your theme look too much like the other one, get inspired is one thing, copy is another. Creating something from scratch while copying another theme is indeed a lot of work, but it is still a copy. Sorry, but from my 12 year of experience spotting copy/paste is not a hard thing:-)

268 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
beetlesales says

I’m afraid your theme look too much like the other one, get inspired is one thing, copy is another. Creating something from scratch while copying another theme is indeed a lot of work, but it is still a copy. Sorry, but from my 12 year of experience spotting copy/paste is not a hard thing:-)

I don’t know if you blatantly attempted to call, or make me out to be a thief, but it certainly looks that way. Your user name/comment will be written down in my little notepad I’ve been collecting for “Authors/Buyers to avoid at all costs.”

Congratulations! You just took a giant leap backwards.

5525 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

This thread has taken a turn for the nasty, so I’m going to lock it down.

by
by
by
by
by
by