28 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
keythemes says

It would be great if Themeforest had an option where a potential author could submit his/her design and ask a reviewer if the theme would be accepted if converted to a working template(HTML/Wordpress/anyCMS). This would save us designers and developers a WHOLE lot of time, since some designs are not accepted in the PSD category but are accepted as functioning site templates. It would be great to know if a design would or wouldn’t be accepted on Themeforest if converted into a functioning theme. Or is there a way of doing that already?

2445 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says

If a PSD is more likely to be accepted in a coded form, the reviewers will tell you.

This is just an extra they’re kind enough to provide because, honestly, it sounds like one would be asking if their idea about a business is going to be successful. You never know until you do it. Best part is that you learn a lot on the way :)

631 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
UBLThemes says

It would be great if Themeforest had an option where a potential author could submit his/her design and ask a reviewer if the theme would be accepted if converted to a working template(HTML/Wordpress/anyCMS). This would save us designers and developers a WHOLE lot of time, since some designs are not accepted in the PSD category but are accepted as functioning site templates. It would be great to know if a design would or wouldn’t be accepted on Themeforest if converted into a functioning theme. Or is there a way of doing that already?

Each reviewer is an expert in their category. For instance someone is Photoshop might not be an expert in Pestashop or opencart so asking them is pointless.

If you submit a psd file, and it gets accepted, chances are it will pass the html, Wordpress and just about any other category.

The reason for this, is because the design quality for a PSD is higher than any other category.

10 posts
  • Located in Belarus
EugeneBakulin says

I’ve posted a ticket to support team recently asking for more detailed comments – and got comment that my design would be accepted as HTML /WP template, while PSD is still rejected.

28 posts
keythemes says

Each reviewer is an expert in their category. For instance someone is Photoshop might not be an expert in Pestashop or opencart so asking them is pointless.

If you submit a psd file, and it gets accepted, chances are it will pass the html, Wordpress and just about any other category.

The reason for this, is because the design quality for a PSD is higher than any other category.

The way I understand it, most themes that are submitted to the PSD category do not get accepted. But themes do not need to meet the pixel perfect standards of the PSD category to be accepted as site templates. My question does not have anything to do with PSD submissions.

I was just wondering if a person could show a design (which was not submitted to the PSD category) to the guys at Themeforest and expect a straightforward “no” or “go ahead with development, we will accept it as a site template” answer from them. That would be great, and ease the entire process, as developers will not hesitate to go forward with developing a design that they know will be accepted on Themeforest for sure. Provided that the development/code structure meets Themeforest standards, of course.

313 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
squaredWeb says

The thing is that they would have to hire a lot of new staff in order to do this since i am pretty sure that the current reviewers have quite enough work. So it would cost additional money which is not really neccessary since there is not really a shortage of new themes on themeforest.

And lets be honest, even if they did that a few weeks later we would have new threads here like “Hi, i dont want to take the time to create a real photoshop design, so i think it would be great if we could send you scanned scetches of ideas for themes”.

If you yourself think that your design has such a high chance of getting rejected that its not worth the time to create it, well then you probably just shouldnt.

If you think your design is good, just go for it. Worst case scenario is getting rejected in which case you can still improve the design and learn a lot in the process, i know i sure did.

28 posts
keythemes says

squaredWeb – it obviously doesn’t seem like it benefits Themeforest in any way, but it sure does us designers and developers. The worst case scenario isn’t “getting rejected in which case you can still improve the design and learn a lot in the process”; it’s getting rejected again and again because your template doesn’t look good, and some rejected templates I’ve seen here in the forums really are lost cases. And the author, who has worked for months on end designing and developing it, has no clue that the template cannot be improved to current standards regardless of what he or she does. Getting such a template accepted would require a complete redesign, which the author may not be capable of doing. I think it would’ve been easier if he/she had known that the design would not be accepted in the first place, then at least the author could consider teaming up with a designer.

313 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
squaredWeb says

I get the point of what you are saying, yet i cant see any reason for envato to do this.

What you are basically saying is that envato should spend money in order to save people without any hope of getting accepted time. While i agree that this would be very nice (and i would have profited from this service in the past as well) i just dont see any logic in this from a business standpoint.

Maybe they should consider offering this service for a fee of 50$, then both parties could profit.

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

Even a flawless PSD that is accepted could be poorly coded as an HTML template (tables for layout, inline styles, etc) and rejected. So it’s impossible to predict from the PSD .

by
by
by
by
by
by