125 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Won a competition
+6 more
Codestag says

As ThemeForest authors that provide support to customers via a dedicated support desk, we often come across customer behaviors that just feel wrong and rude.

1. Overly straight to the point

I often see tickets that are like this: “I want XXX to do YYY. How do I do this.” It just feels wrong to ask something without saying at least a “hello” first. Not to mention a “Thank you” at the end. Dear customers, you do not talk to support robots, you talk to real people who are willing to help you even sometimes during weekends. A “hello” is a freebie, and only takes 1 second to type it.

2. Not replying back to tickets

Many people post a ticket as “urgent” describing their issue. It takes me an hour to find a solution, I post it, and they just disappear. Probably the solution works for them, but I never hear back if it did or not. Feels wrong, doesn’t it?

3. Message bombing

Post at the comments section,and open a ticket, and ping me on twitter, and send me an email. Do all these, but it really slows things down, does not speed them up.

4. Attitude

Attitude is everything. Honestly, if you “demand” a solution NOW, if you demand a refund NOW because you do not know how to write a post, or if you are aggressive and rude, you are not helping me to help you.

To sum things up. Being polite is free. It’s just a matter of personal choice of what you want to be, and a psychologic power-trip factor that derives from the mindset of the “Buyer”.

Paying for a product surely means that you expect it to work as described and get the most out of it, but buying a theme does not include a slave in the zip file…

1360 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+6 more
fuelthemes says

Totally agreed, but I am afraid majority of customers will always be like that.

134 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
tansh says
1. Overly straight to the point I often see tickets that are like this: “I want XXX to do YYY. How do I do this.” It just feels wrong to ask something without saying at least a “hello” first. Not to mention a “Thank you” at the end. Dear customers, you do not talk to support robots, you talk to real people who are willing to help you even sometimes during weekends. A “hello” is a freebie, and only takes 1 second to type it.

Many times I notice this. In such cases, I always answer with hello and thanks. Later mails definitely starts with “Hi!” ... :)

7 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
srcn says
... buying a theme does not include a slave in the zip file…

This should be the title of the Downloads page :)

125 posts
  • Won a competition
+6 more
Codestag says

... buying a theme does not include a slave in the zip file…
This should be the title of the Downloads page :)

yeah, in red flashing gif and comic sans!

1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

Working on a support forum I couldn’t agree more! Painfully rude sometimes!

It’s horrible that the value of your brand is decided on how much free work you want to put into unthankful people

85 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Kosovo
+2 more
vuzzu says

Hi Codestag,

we’re new here and yes all those above you’ve mentioned we experienced on the front.

But that did not discourage us instead we’ve returned some to real life. Its human nature every business that is not face to face is a risk, this is a virtual bench shopping people do not touch their products and neither see you alive. Paranoia has no limit.

Message bombing is interesting but a little patience you show and always positive reply to the comments and tickets will change people, they are just afraid that you will leave or delete the theme. That’s the nature of business here there is no guarantee that you stand forever.

DistinctiveThemes
DistinctiveThemes Recent Posts Threads Started
163 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
DistinctiveThemes says

Iv found people who use our forums are actually quite pleasant tbh (for now anyway) – but some comments left in the items comments are really quite rude, as if to try and besmirch our fine name

Some people just are not pleasant folk

1649 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

Nice thread.

I know no one here tries to homogenize all of the customers (or this is also valid for the otherside of the coin , the fellow Authors. I’m sure there can be many complaints from customers’ side too)
And if I learned one thing in life , that is..: who’s being polite and kind always wins.

Edit: Well, most of the time ;)

741 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

While most of my buyers are great, there will always be some that make my blood boil in my veins. My favorite item comment is: ‘Demand another home page design’. No hello, no thanks, no nothing. That’s the only comment that I’ve left unanswered under that particular theme. :) There’s also the type of questions that make me want to hang myself and they usually start with ‘Can I’ or ‘How do I’ or ‘How hard would adding XYZ functionality be’.

On the other hand there are people that are always polite, supportive and even help other buyers in item comments!

by
by
by
by
by
by