8 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
dannyweb says

Hi Everyone,

I am relatively new to ThemeForest and have been playing around with a coded layout for a few days. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts and feedback on what they think would make the layout better – or if they think it should be scrapped altogether.

The design is based on my company as a subject point. I find it difficult making a generic design.

The logo is a trademark to my company, but something similar will be in place for the final design.

I am not sure how compatible with IE the coding is just yet – thats the final stage.

Thanks in advance,

Danny

DannyWeb Mockup

698 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Croatia
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
segen says

Your line-height is too big, reduce it to 18px or whatever. Also looks to plain too me, would do more graphics and content.

8 posts
  • United Kingdom
dannyweb says

Hi Segen,

Thanks for the feedback – lack of images is the primary point people have been making, thats obviously the next step.

Would you say the text would be just as clear and readable with a smaller line height?

Thanks again,

Danny

80 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Denmark
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
mads says

Wow. There are a number of issues with the typography:

• The text is too big I seriously can’t imagine how this would look on smaller resolutions or on browsers without text antialiasing. Default text size (16pt) is fine if there is not much text, but when the pages are filled with text like this, it’s not very pretty to look at.
  • The line height is too big Generally on the web, don’t go above 1.5. I would suggest going down to 1.3 or around that level
  • Justified text Just don’t use it on the web. You can’t predict how text will wrap or divide a word over multiple lines. This will create spaces between words that are WAY too big, and rivers that will distract the readers.

Overall, nice site! But it needs some work on the typography.

352 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+1 more
danharper says

Looks good, the text sizes needs some slight adjusting, though. Change the main text from 16px to 0.9em and drop the line-height to 1.5em and it looks much better :)

8 posts
  • United Kingdom
dannyweb says

Thanks Mads, you can probably tell – Typography is not my field of choice!

Thanks for the feedback – I will make the changes and see how its looking.

8 posts
  • United Kingdom
dannyweb says

Thanks Dan, your suggestions is pretty much in line with all the other feedback – I will make the alterations and see what graphic’s I can add to brighten things up a bit.

Thanks again!

8 posts
  • United Kingdom
dannyweb says

DannyWeb Mockup v2

I have made the suggested changes to the type – do you guys think its any better or have I just brought it us to minimum standards for typography?

Thanks,

Danny

80 posts
  • Denmark
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
mads says

You’ve definitely made a lot of improvements but I still think there are a couple of issues:

• You set word-spacing on body text. I thought the spacing before was a consequence of justified text. With word-spacing you get essentially the same problem: rivers of text and a very uniform text. Just let the browser take care of setting the default word spacing.
  • Missing hierarchy. You want to have a ladder of text sizes that you can mix, not just one. Try making the “Latest project”-text slightly bigger, and experiment with the inline introductions (the ones that are bold). Also try making the text in the footer smaller.

I may be a little tough here. You’re not doing everything wrong. I love the intro text in the header and the general layout. Keep up the good work!

8 posts
  • United Kingdom
dannyweb says

No Problem Mads, I honestly appreciate the feedback.

I have removed the line spacing and added an increase in size to the strong elements. Considering converting them to h3/h4 and having them on their own line completely.

The header is the only feature im 100% happy with to be honest.

Thanks,

Danny

by
by
by
by
by
by