• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

Hi…since i see this happens for a while now, i thought, i’ll make a touch on this issue as some authors may ask them self why this happens:

Some thumbnails on GraphicRiver doesnt show up, but why?...relax, this is not an site functionaly error…its just you that you dont have your file color mode or resolution in the right way.

GraphicRiver designers, when you create print files to submit, please make sure the preview and thumbnail images you have are in RGB color mode. It doesnt look good on the home page, your item page and under “recent items” when your item thumbnail image doesnt display…the reason is simple, you need to make sure to convert your image to RGB color mode before you start uploading. Another thing you need to check is the image resolution, it schould be 72 dpi. I know, this may accure just coz you bypass this small details while you create items in CMYK and 300dpi, but before you upload, please just make sure the item display and the thumb are converted to RGB and uses the right resolution, other wise they wont display. This may effect also your sales (and the marketplace reputation in general) as when your item thumbnail doesnt display, it gives automaticaly an wrong impression to the potential buyer, that your file have some errors :D

I know reviewers are very busy people, but it would be great if they can just check this 2 images for color mode and make sure they are in RGB before they make the item available on GraphicRiver.

arquitectostyles
arquitectostyles Recent Posts
Threads Started
153 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Mexico
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
arquitectostyles says

Are you sure they wont display with high resolutions???? I thought an image with 300 dpi was just displayed at 72 dpi on screen…....

988 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says
Are you sure they wont display with high resolutions???? I thought an image with 300 dpi was just displayed at 72 dpi on screen…....

No, thats why there are ISO Standards like web media (screen display file format is always 72 dpi and RGB color mode anywhere on this planet…this may vary in flash files, as sometimes flash files uses 96 dpi image resolution depend on what for they are used like HD video creations and frame animations, or just some sort of HQ motion graphics creation).

And print media (print ready file format is 300 dpi and CMYK color mode…in some cases the resolution may change based on the PrintHouse requirements as many print houses have different equipments (print plooters) that require different standards. This is based on locations, but continents like America, Europa, Africa, Australia and areas like Middle East will support any…you may only ask additionaly for customers located in Asia as they sometimes may have different print requirements. Asian countries that may require different standards are: China, Japan, Korea, Singapur, India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Indonesia and some others in this area. Some Baltic and Kafkasian countries like Belarus, Ukraine, Turkmenistan, Armenia, Kazakstan will support the world ISO Standards as well).

Actually the thing to do is very simple, all you need to do is have the following files:

image preview (the one that displays on the “item display page” 590 pixels widht)

thumbnal (the one that shows as small thumbnail on the home page and under “recent items” 80×80 pixels)

in the following specs:

72 dpi image resolution: —to do in photoshop (image / image size). In the popup window adjust the resolution to be 72 DPI

RGB color mode: —to do in photoshop (image / mode). From here sellect the RGB

Once this adjustments done, save your files as JPG : —file / save as. From the drop down sellect JPG , name your file as you wish and hit the “Save” button

Other option you may use (which is much more easy) is: —file / save for web. Under “presets” make sure to sellect “JPEG”

Once you have all this, your file is ready to be uploaded.

NOTE : This adjustments must be done only to the 590 preview image and the 80×80 thumbnail images. Do not apply this adjustments to the original print file that the client will receive after purchaising!! The original print file must be remining in the print standards specs ( CMYK color mode @ 300 DPI )

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

just to demonstrate (not to make the author feel bad about it), this item uses wrong adjustments for the image preview and the thumbnail preview:

http://graphicriver.net/item/carbon-fiber-business-card/42960

Here the author schould really check this 2 files image resolution and color mode in order his/her item show up properly on GraphicRiver site. Right now, there maybe some potential buyers really looking for something as the “item name” sounds like, but unfortunely they can not see what is the item about and how it looks like and thats why they dont move forward to buy it…this damages the author income and envato’s income + lowball the marketplace reputation in general.

Additionaly, another reason for this errors maybe the file name, if your file uses more than 2 words, you may need to make sure your file name uses ( _ ) to connect words. Dont use “space” between words..examples:

wrong file name: my file name (this will add the following marks between words ”%”, which wont create proper link to the image and thats why your image may not display)

right file name: my_file_name

arquitectostyles, one of your items thumbnail doesnt use the right image resolution or color mode for the thumbnail preview...you may check this and correct it and then reupload.

But idealy, reviewers schould make sure this images meets the criterions for submission before they make them available on the marketplace. The site management may need to inform reviewers for the issue and give the necessary directions to ensure this deosnt happen in future. This small check wont take a reviewer longer than 2 mins to correct it…all this is only to make this place better as it claims to be.

104 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Australia
thomasfedb says

Actually i’m pretty sure you are wrong, thomas07.

If you save a file as jpeg (as is required for thumbnail and preview) it will be saved as rgb and at the pixel dimentions, Jpg’s have no cmyk or real measurments associated with them.

Therfore it is irrelivent what dpi you hav set al long as you crop/scale your image down to the correct pixel size.

529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Moderator
+5 more
AmandaHackwith Staff says

We’re aware of the RGB /CMYK issues with preview images. It appears that CMYK thumbnails/hovers may not display properly on certain browsers/OS. The upload instructions should be updated very soon to include mention of the RGB format. I haven’t investigated any reported resolution issues, but 72dpi is always best for web.

Our reviewers do the best job possible to check for these issues, but with the size of queues and the time-per-submission as it is, small format issues such as this are likely to pop up. If you see technical issues like this in the future, feel free to send a note to Support!

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Motionreactor says

Thomas07 I don’t want to upset you, but again in regards to DPI you are totally wrong.

An 80 pixel by 80 pixel image has the same number of pixels if it is set to 300dpi or 72dpi. The only difference is the size at which it will print.

529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Moderator
+5 more
AmandaHackwith Staff says

DPI stands, after all, for dots per inch—inch refering to print standards. Pixels and screen viewing are an entirely different standard.

3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
Zoot_Cadillac says

Thanks for the later replies.

I thought I was going a bit mad for a minute there. I simply could not understand what the dpi of my work had to do with the pixel size and display of web images.

125 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
bgm Reviewer says

Also, try using the “Save for web” option, which will reduce their size too (and thus load quicker)

by
by
by
by
by
by