3014 posts
    Helps us moderate the forums Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations Won a competition
+16 more
dtbaker Envato team says

Hey @JustinScheetz

Open Source the beast :) wack the code on github, majority of people who use the system would be proficient enough to fix/add new features themselves.

You could deploy updates from github yourself if you still wanted to host it, or orgnaise for someone else to continue hosting the original product if you no longer can.

If you can’t find a buyer, then consider that option rather than just flicking the switch.

Good luck!

3510 posts Ruben Bristian
    Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

I agree with @dtbaker. It would be awesome if the community could contribute. I know that i would love to do so. A project manage would be the only thing needed, to keep all things in place, but i’m sure many would like to improve the project and fix bugs.

168 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in Australia
+2 more
michaeldale says

@dtbaker +1

327 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
vtimbuc says

+1 @dtbaker

398 posts I <3 WordPress
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Located in United States Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I will let you know what we decide in a few days!

708 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
LCweb says

I agree with @dtbaker. It would be awesome if the community could contribute. I know that i would love to do so. A project manage would be the only thing needed, to keep all things in place, but i’m sure many would like to improve the project and fix bugs.

Yep, me too, I’m thinking to contribute to it for months (for free of course), but “authorship” is always a pretty complex thing and I never dared to suggest it publicly.

Anyway Open source for a commercial project like this perhaps is not the best choice: Justin & co would loose the majority of their incomes. For this reason I proposed a sort of fee to pay to put hands on the code and host the system by myself.

The important is take a decision and go on! ;)

582 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Located in United States Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

I continue to adore the irony of this discussion’s title.

However, I give @JustinScheetz a lot of credit for trying to make Ticksy work. Long-term it’s not a business I’d want to be in because Envato could (miraculously) get their act together someday and make your product obsolete.

398 posts I <3 WordPress
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Located in United States Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Won a competition
+9 more
BoxyStudio says

I continue to adore the irony of this discussion’s title.

Yeah I know. :(

3510 posts Ruben Bristian
    Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Envato could (miraculously) get their act together someday and make your product obsolete.

You should have put (miraculously) between triple bold tags :D

1 post
    Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
oceanicthemes says

@JustinScheetz Have you considered running Ticksy on Google Apps Engine, if I understand correctly it is written in PHP, right? PHP is supported now in.

That would solve all your scalability issues and relieve you of all server management, once set-up properly.

Apologies if I’m off base, here.

Cheers.

by
by
by
by
by
by