• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
Vasterad says

I’m asking to rate an item (via email / private ticket on support forum) if customer sorted out his question with my help. In this case everyone are really gratefully and give 5 stars immediately. ;)

34 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Shorti says

I’m asking to rate an item (via email / private ticket on support forum) if customer sorted out his question with my help. In this case everyone are really gratefully and give 5 stars immediately. ;)

That is also a great way to get 5 stars .. most customers are happy with the product they buy, especially if it’s high quality. But most of them don’t get around to rating it, often times because they don’t know how or where? Giving them a nudge to go rate the theme is not a bad practice.

3430 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

I’m ok with 4 stars and no free customizations.. :D

Me too. I offer fast and top support, but there are always buyers that rate the file 1 star because it doesn’t do magic as they thought before buying. You can’t stop them.

And, in my own experience, the 4-sale rating didn’t affect me at all. In fact, I have a 3 star theme that sells quite constantly, no matter what its rating is.
Interesting responses .. although not surprising as this post was for those who want 5 stars, not for those who are content with 4. :)

I also wanted overall five starts when i started here, but it’s not possible if you don’t want to sell yourself cheap. I will never ever do free customizations just to get an overall five start rating. Some files do have files stars, some files don’t.

But at the end of the day i’m a happy developer that works exactly how much he wants and does’t do useless free custom work, and i’m doing pretty well..

Don’t get me wrong, i also agree with your other points and offer good manuals and high quality files. But i just can’t stand the idea of selling your time for free to get ratings. And for what?

You are breaking the market with this.. For example you have a customer that wants some free work, you do an hour for him and then he comes and buys one of my files, ask for some work i say no, then boom! It’s your fault that i have four stars, because you have given bad education to your clients, education which led to bad expectations.

Again, i don’t want to sound offensive(and i know that i sound a bit), but doing free work is a bad practice no matter the reason behind it.

457 posts
  • Austria
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
iHelp says

Yep that’s what I do in the forums. Granted, the way to get to a happily sorted question will include decent response time, tuning and improving a theme to the limits and possibly a ride of customizations (that will definitely have a dead end sooner or later, due to the individual policies), but in the end, happy customers are happy raters and some authors I work for definitely follow that road :)

For example this method helped big time pushing Avada back to five stars and up from 400 sales to more than 700 per week. The question is, do these authors really sell their souls (I don’t since I’m hired for that) or do they get the paycheck once the sales increase…?

266 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
Vasterad says

Absolutely, well attended customer is a happy customer.

@iHelp, does 5 stars rating really have influence on sales in Avada’s case? It’s pretty interesting. :)

34 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Shorti says

I’m ok with 4 stars and no free customizations.. :D

Me too. I offer fast and top support, but there are always buyers that rate the file 1 star because it doesn’t do magic as they thought before buying. You can’t stop them.

And, in my own experience, the 4-sale rating didn’t affect me at all. In fact, I have a 3 star theme that sells quite constantly, no matter what its rating is.
Interesting responses .. although not surprising as this post was for those who want 5 stars, not for those who are content with 4. :)

I also wanted overall five starts when i started here, but it’s not possible if you don’t want to sell yourself cheap. I will never ever do free customizations just to get an overall five start rating. Some files do have files stars, some files don’t.

But at the end of the day i’m a happy developer that works exactly how much he wants and does’t do useless free custom work, and i’m doing pretty well..

Don’t get me wrong, i also agree with your other points and offer good manuals and high quality files. But i just can’t stand the idea of selling your time for free to get ratings. And for what?

You are breaking the market with this.. For example you have a customer that wants some free work, you do an hour for him and then he comes and buys one of my files, ask for some work i say no, then boom! It’s your fault that i have four stars, because you have given bad education to your clients, education which led to bad expectations.

Again, i don’t want to sound offensive(and i know that i sound a bit), but doing free work is a bad practice no matter the reason behind it.

I can hear what you’re saying, but I don’t think I would agree it’s my fault that you get four stars because of how I operate. The way I see it is, eventually customers will recommend my themes to other people because I offer free customizations. But it’s not hurting me one bit, I’m making plenty each month to live on plus extra, so I’m willing to give my time. Consider the comments I’m receiving from buyers, for example:

awesome theme – great customer support – thanks for the FAQs – I just gave you a 5 star rating (first one I have given on themeforest and I have purchased over 40 themes this year)

and ..

excellent support. Shorti please build more themes as I would happily just purchase yours as your help and flexibility is second to none.

In summary, I would rather have return customers like that, plus more potential buyers by way of recommendation for my services.

Some authors, like you Ruben, are an exception maybe because you put out some killer stuff that override the ratings. ;)

457 posts
  • Austria
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
iHelp says

Absolutely, well attended customer is a happy customer. @iHelp, does 5 stars rating really have influence on sales in Avada’s case? It’s pretty interesting. :)

Well, “really” as much as the sales increased by 200 to 300 during the past weeks, and the rating changed too. Might as well be a coincidence tho, since without question the theme’s quality, update rate, support, community and the devs themselves are plain amazing.

3422 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Hey Shorti,

Congrats on your success, it’s great to see your enthusiasm :)

Like others have said, the problem with your free customizations is that it simply isn’t scalable. Once you become very successful like Ruben (and I hope you do!), you’ll understand – with thousands of customers, and dozens of support requests a day, it simply isn’t humanly possible to provide customization for every customer.

Is that a problem? Perhaps. I think most good authors start out this way, because we all want to give our customers the best experience possible, so we go above and beyond. The issue is that you’re setting a precedent. You can decide whether setting that precedent for others (as Ruben suggested) is your problem or not – but don’t forget you’re setting it for yourself, too ;) Once you’re selling thousands of items a month and can’t possibly handle the load for even basic customizations, what do you tell the customers who have purchased from you because you offer free customizations? Make sure your business model is scalable and sustainable.

Anyway, I definitely don’t want to discourage you, as you certainly have the right attitude, and that’s great. But suggesting that all authors should provide customizations all the time is a perspective that comes being new to this market. And that’s totally fine – but just try to understand where elite authors like Ruben are coming from.

Good luck to you! :)

34 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Shorti says

Hey Shorti,

Congrats on your success, it’s great to see your enthusiasm :)

Like others have said, the problem with your free customizations is that it simply isn’t scalable. Once you become very successful like Ruben (and I hope you do!), you’ll understand – with thousands of customers, and dozens of support requests a day, it simply isn’t humanly possible to provide customization for every customer.

Is that a problem? Perhaps. I think most good authors start out this way, because we all want to give our customers the best experience possible, so we go above and beyond. The issue is that you’re setting a precedent. You can decide whether setting that precedent for others (as Ruben suggested) is your problem or not – but don’t forget you’re setting it for yourself, too ;) Once you’re selling thousands of items a month and can’t possibly handle the load for even basic customizations, what do you tell the customers who have purchased from you because you offer free customizations? Make sure your business model is scalable and sustainable.

Anyway, I definitely don’t want to discourage you, as you certainly have the right attitude, and that’s great. But suggesting that all authors should provide customizations all the time is a perspective that comes being new to this market. And that’s totally fine – but just try to understand where elite authors like Ruben are coming from.

Good luck to you! :)

That’s a very balanced and informative explanation sevens, I will certainly take seriously your cautions you have presented. I wouldn’t want to run into a wall later down the road.

By the way, excellent work Ruben!

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

Perhaps. I think most good authors start out this way, because we all want to give our customers the best experience possible, so we go above and beyond.

very true

@shorti. I see your items have been doing well the past month. Awesome work man :) But the kicker is, unless you’ve hit the popular’s page, your sales won’t remain the same. The items are still going to sell no doubt, just not at the same rate they once did.

I think a lot of us have experienced your situation. We really want to help, and sometimes even do stuff for free. But then 3 months down the road we realize we’ve spent all our time on support and not enough time creating something new to maintain that precious monthly payment.

There’s two ways to play this game: a) Create an insanely popular item and build your business around that item. b) Upload, upload, and upload some more! But spend all your time working for free and you’re going to regret it. My 2c.

P.S. Tips 2 and 3 are great, thanks for sharing :)

by
by
by
by
by
by