• Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says

Hey Creative people! how are you doing? I hope you all are succeeding in everything you do. God is the giver of our creativity. He gave us the potential to do great stuff in any specific area we work with. :)

I’m posting this time to give some feedback to all VH authors. As a buyer, I have buy and worked with many of the top authors projects files. I know we all have a lot of work and don’t want more but here are some things you all may consider:

1. Explain in your portfolio’s description that any sound file that goes with any project can be modified with things like time remapping to fit any particular situation.

I don’t know if I explain myself well but I occasionally have to edit an AE project’s time for my own needs, meaning more time / duration for the project. So I learned that using time remapping with the audio file authors kindly provide after purchasing (if the difference is not too much, only seconds) works just perfect.

I know this is tricky since some authors provide their own customization and charge for that, but it will be a great bonus if along the video tut or help file, you all can mention or point / link to a tutorial on time remapping or some other technique.

2. Instead of help file in .txt format, use .pdf (unless this has size file reason) Some of you take great effort doing such great help files. Thank you so much!

3. Be sure the last version of your project is been save with the main comp window open and leave the render queue empty.

4. This is a question, why is that you all don’t include the sound file along with the AE project? It will help to have both the same time since we may be in a hurry to finish a project and some authors take their time (not blaming envato or anyone here) responding. If you could explain more, I’ll appreciate it.

5. If you all are using any social network like facebook, twitter, msn, skype let us know. However Envato’s new design solve this problem and even add the follow authour feature but not quite sure what it does. 6. I have seen and contacted other buyers who kinda get frustrated because the watch a great AE project, they are blast out and go ahead buy the file and dont realize (even though you all point in their description AE is needed) they need AE and some basic knowledge around the software. What this people will do is download an AE trial from adobe website in which case after the 30 days trial, have no idea what to do. So maybe always alerting the buyers in the description or given us options, may work some. 7. If you are using free fonts, if not asking too much, include them in the file. It is time saver to have everything ready in the package but I am unsure if this has anything to do with envato’s policies. Please advice. 8. If you are using placeholders needing HD video or images, give us an option on SD also. Don’t get me wrong but not all of us have a HD camera or struggle getting high quality images for our projects. Maybe explaining how to resize the placeholder will help. Just a tought, maybe you have some more good ideas.

Again, this is a buyer perspective and if you are going to comment here “we cannot do number 3 because of….” don’t. This post is about helping you authors to make your already great files even better. This are just considerations for future files. Just keep them on your mind. (Would be great if we can do more often those chats to provide feedback and help)

Thanks for taking time to read this. I want to thank Envato for their awesome work redesigning this awesome website (pretty sure was a lot of work) and helped me move out of my confort zone and laziness to learn AE and other cool stuff.

Thanks to all VH authors for your great support, outstanding files / projects and for helping us, buyers, rookies, be more creative!

God bless you all! ;)

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Great suggestions El! It’s always nice to get a buyers perspective on things.

I really like number 3, and notice many author do already do this, but some dont. I won’t make it a requirement, but it is something you all should consider if you’re not already.

Also 4, is tricky because often times, music or sound effects used in a project are not licensed for distribution. Music can be used from AudioJungle within a preview, but cannot be included because the AJ author would be losing out, as his file would be provided for free to anyone that buys the VH file. Also some sounds used, authors may own a single license from some other source. Meaning they can use it in their personal projects (the preview), but cannot include it because they would then be distributing it.

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says
Great suggestions El! It’s always nice to get a buyers perspective on things.

I really like number 3, and notice many author do already do this, but some dont. I won’t make it a requirement, but it is something you all should consider if you’re not already.

Also 4, is tricky because often times, music or sound effects used in a project are not licensed for distribution. Music can be used from AudioJungle within a preview, but cannot be included because the AJ author would be losing out, as his file would be provided for free to anyone that buys the VH file. Also some sounds used, authors may own a single license from some other source. Meaning they can use it in their personal projects (the preview), but cannot include it because they would then be distributing it.

Thanks Mark for your insight. You are always helping so much in here ;)

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says
agree what Mark says. the same thing is with free fonts. You can point the customer to the place where they can download the font, but you can’t include the font with the file as that is not only redistributing (often this is prohibited by font owner) but even selling. So we can’t do that. HD placeholders problem. I think if you’re going to export final comp in SD there is no quality loss if you enlarge your SD footage so that it fills the placeholder and then resize the final comp to the desired size for output. I think – it’s like math – 2+2-2=2 Can someone comment on this? is quality lower than having SD placeholder where you don’t have to upsize the footage and downsize the final comp for the same amount?

This is what I’ve been doing philips and have no problem at all in quality. Sometimes is a problem getting a HD or high quality picture from my clients to outcome a result. In any case, I have solved the problem with some tricks… ;) Thanks for commenting.

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says
agree what Mark says. the same thing is with free fonts. You can point the customer to the place where they can download the font, but you can’t include the font with the file as that is not only redistributing (often this is prohibited by font owner) but even selling. So we can’t do that. HD placeholders problem. I think if you’re going to export final comp in SD there is no quality loss if you enlarge your SD footage so that it fills the placeholder and then resize the final comp to the desired size for output. I think – it’s like math – 2+2-2=2 Can someone comment on this? is quality lower than having SD placeholder where you don’t have to upsize the footage and downsize the final comp for the same amount?

It’s more like (2*2)/2 :)

It does make a difference, but not a big one. Scaling a piece of footage to 200% and then later scaling it down to 50% is not necessarily the same as leaving the footage at 100%. I believe if all of your precompositions have the collapse transforms toggle enabled, then After Effects is able to concatenate the two transforms mathematically into one (in this case no transform). However, if you have effects etc. that occur between the two transforms then this is not the case, the first transform will interpolate pixels to blow the image up, the second transform will reinterpolate the interpolated pixels to shrink it down again…i.e. quality loss. In a node based program like Shake or Nuke, this effect concatenation is obvious. In After Effects, not so.

But to be honest, this is technical hair splitting. If you’re talking about blowing some SD footage up to HD and then rendering it out at SD, they difference will go completely unnoticed.

-felt.

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

By the way, Elreto, I’ve got a new project I’m going to upload soon… just a little one. But for the first time I’ve done an html help. I’m really pleased with it. It’s a universal format, can include images, video, tables, charts etc. but best of all you can cross reference your help with links to other parts of the help, break it down into chapters and provide an index, link directly to external resources and so on.

I think it’s the way forwards.

I like pdf, but for me it’s most important when layout and style is paramount. I think for a help file, content and usability are king.

I took my cue from the Trapcode user guides, that also use html.

-felt.

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

As for separate sound files, I’ve never done it before, but I can see loads of other reasons to do it.

As much as anything, since the purchaser has to PM you, you can check if they bought your file. This is a way to get around (yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum, hoist the jolly roger) issues.

As Mark mentioned, the sound may consist of files that are open source, but not allowed to be directly distributed by you.

For a long project, including loads of hi res sound files might tip it over the download limit.

Finally, it could be seen as a way to establish that all important personal contact between you and your clients.

- felt.

3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Egypt
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Rafeeq says

nice post elreto, it’s helpful to the authors and i think the guys have answered all your questions.

199 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Australia
footagecentral says

Thankyou so much!!!!!!

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

Whatever happened to Elreto / Daniel_R? He used to be a regular around these parts.

by
by
by
by
by
by