382 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
pixelgrade says

Just now I have received an email from some photographer stating that we have used 3 of his photos in one of our demos without his permission.

Like we all authors here know this is a very big red flag for us. But I knew I was in the clear because I had proper permissions from the actual copyright holder to use it’s images (we only used images from one photographer in that demo so it was pretty easy to check).

In return for his so called “copyright infringement” we were asked to give our theme for free to him, via email :)

Have you encountered similar issues?

1588 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Interasting, did not encounter anything similar.

382 posts
+6 more
pixelgrade says

Well this is quite hilarious and proves that the world is not that large, or that ThemeForest has a massive number of visitors. It turns out that he was on a photo trip with the photographer that we had permission from and they shoot the same cars. Of course that the images were not the same, but he was in a hurry it seems :)

Good to know we don’t have worrying trend going here, or so I hope, because it seems that we authors are wasting more and more time these days on copyright issues than focusing on creating new and exciting things.

639 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

I’ve had a similar case like that, only not with photos but people claiming to be the ‘webdesigner’ handling the site and they need the theme or something.

Just don’t reply ( allthough i couldn’t resist to tell him where he could put his ‘webdesign’ skills :P )

1708 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

When I use any images at my previews , I always ask to copyrightHolders (if they stated so) , and the anwser is 99% positive.

There was also some cases that I asked to give one of my templates as PixelGrade stated. Everybody wins.

382 posts
+6 more
pixelgrade says

The thing is that we had asked and got permission from the photographer. Just that he was shooting at that same event and he didn’t check if those were exactly his images. Just an unfortunate misunderstanding. It keeps me being optimistic about people :)

4392 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

The thing is that we had asked and got permission from the photographer. Just that he was shooting at that same event and he didn’t check if those were exactly his images. Just an unfortunate misunderstanding. It keeps me being optimistic about people :)

Keep the email as proof of the fact that he granted permission, I’d also strongly suggest you get in touch with support so you don’t end up getting a DMCA! Be sure to change the images as well, that’s a big red flag from someone who says yes then says no!

1032 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+7 more
purethemes says

I was once asked by a girl who’s image was on my theme’s demo (she was a model, I had the permission from author of the photo to use it) to pay here 80% of the total income that theme generated as she claims it was her image that generated such a successful theme. HAHA. Beat this!

6088 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

I was once asked by a girl who’s image was on my theme’s demo (she was a model, I had the permission from author of the photo to use it) to pay here 80% of the total income that theme generated as she claims it was her image that generated such a successful theme. HAHA. Beat this!

If this is the case for a Theme, just wondering how much that model will charge for an Ad related to jewelry. 80% of the shop’s sale? :D

382 posts
+6 more
pixelgrade says

Keep the email as proof of the fact that he granted permission, I’d also strongly suggest you get in touch with support so you don’t end up getting a DMCA! Be sure to change the images as well, that’s a big red flag from someone who says yes then says no!

No you got it wrong. The actual photographer that has the copyright did and still does give us his permission. This guy was one of his friends or so that thought that we have used his images without actually analyzing the images throughly. He realized his mistake and all is good now. Sorry if I haven’t explained properly.

by
by
by
by
by
by