3859 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
charlie4282 says

Hi all, Please excuse the long thread. I am writing a PHD thesis on Creativity Psychology and while this will touch on a number of areas around how the human mind responds to different work, I am looking at the moment at the concepts within design & development (both digital & non) & would really appreciate the opinions of both authors and buyers on the idea of responsive web design. I will try and keep my question as short as possible.

I know responsive has become very popular here & it merits a lot of benefits especially in the rise of mobile browsing. HOWEVER I would ask: how much of people’s positive response (excuse the pun) to it is because it looks cool and it still quite new? And how much do people really understand about responsive design & its role in web browsing optimization?

If you look at brand websites they are often creating mobile sites or apps which offer a direct “purpose” or “call to action” i.e Holiday sites tend to focus purely on simplifying the search & booking functionality, creating an optimized user journey based on the likely reason they are visiting their site.

I am ignoring the idea of Ipads and tablets here as I feel that the difference in viewing a website on an ipad from a PC is not drastic enough compared to viewing it on a mobile.

Responsive Pros: [Please add your own if you have any]
+ It is cheaper to use a responsive design than build multiple options
+ It requires managing one build, set of content etc.
+ It tends to look cool
+ Adjustments only need to be done once

Responsive Cons:
- For now at least I cannot imagine a lot of people using their iphone or similar to browse full scale sites and all the info they offer
- Java is still downloaded requiring a relatively strong connection
- Some devices struggle with CSS3 and its media query support

- Most people on mobile are looking a site up for a reason and it suggests that there is greater value in creating a “purposeful” mobile version based on this that optimizes user interaction & functionality?

I appreciate that the answer is it depends on the objective of each site however what I would like peoples’ opinion on:
- Is the extra effort that goes into coding a responsive design is truly worth it?
- Are responsive sites really the only way forward in the future?
- Are there aspects of “creative design” or “functionality” that become overlooked due to their complexity to work with a responsive design and is this really worth it?

I really appreciate people reading all of this and any thoughts anyone has.

1581 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
webdesignerart says

- Is the extra effort that goes into coding a responsive design is truly worth it? Yeah of-course extra effort required but its good to make your user engaged with you in any aspects.

- Are responsive sites really the only way forward in the future?

Yes

- Are there aspects of “creative design” or “functionality” that become overlooked due to their complexity to work with a responsive design and is this really worth it?

Regarding for designing it will compromise some creativity. And for functionality my answer is NOT .

by
by
by
by
by
by