• Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says

What I’ve learned you can expect:

- some people will expect that customizations are included in their purchase; and those will always think it’s very easy to do
- many never read the docs; they prefer asking support
- video tutorials are extremely helpful. The more complex a theme, the more helpful they are
—with the above tools, have canned responses; you will find yourself asking for WP admin logins and links to their sites, a lot
- always have this link handy, it’s crazy how often that happens.

+ http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-database-reset/ is your best friend if you’re supporting WordPress

half-2 hours a day, depending on the day for 25 themes
What is the point to post a plugin link??? He didn’t ask for any help about plugin! :confused:

whats the point to complain about it? ;-)

he asked what he could expect supporting WordPress, that plugins helps him solve a lot of issues without needing server details

sorry I offered a helpful tip, Ill go back and hide in my corner again

I am a n00b with WP right now, I find this mate’s question interesting, would you please explain in short? Thanks :)

3192 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

I am a n00b with WP right now, I find this mate’s question interesting, would you please explain in short? Thanks :)

users like to install plugins/themes etc.. I dont think I’ve been in an admin with less than 10 plugins or 5 themes(there are a few) but theres nothing wrong with that except not all themes/plugins clean themselves up when there not active and you need to clean things up every once and awhile for example the author I provide support for uses OptionTree built in and there has been some issues where it wont load the theme options, also theres been issues where other themes do sh*t to the db which conflicts with the current them(again most themes dont clean themselves up)

other situation include users installing the demo content and wanting to remove it, instead of instructing them to reinstall or delete everything you can wipe it

theres a ton of situations where you may need to use/instruct users to use that plugin

1673 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

Awesome, thanks mate :)

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Here’s a few pointers:

First, TF doesn’t really have a universal support policy for products, so come up with your own support policy and let users know about it to set some realistic expectations. (ie: http://makedesign.ticksy.com/faq/268 )

Next, what you do and don’t support is entirely up to you, but be consistent. For years I supported ALL customizations, plugins, etc… that works for a while and customers will love you, but once you start getting more than 50 tickets a day asking for significant theme modifications, it becomes unreasonable to support all of that, and customers will begin to resent you if your response time goes above a couple days (and it will when things get hectic). That’s no good, so find a policy that you can maintain and is fair to your customers at the same time.

Support comes in four main categories:

1. Bug reports.
2. Installation/Usage questions.
3. Customization & Plugin integration requests.
4. Feature requests.

Identify which ones you support, and that’s your support policy ;)

Time – I allocate 5-10 minutes per most tickets… with some being answered in 30 seconds, others (like bug reports) taking up to a couple hours to provide solutions for. At my peak, I can get up to 300 tickets a week, which gets a bit nuts and often requires me to hire outside help… I’ve even had some weeks where I spend 50 hours on just support alone. Other weeks (like right now) bring in an average of 10 a day which is a lot more reasonable.

FAQs/Videos – if you notice that the same issues keep coming up, take a few minutes to make a video response, or at the very least, an FAQ . It’ll save you loads of time across the lifespan of your products. Even better – develop a feature or fix that altogether removes the need for the question in the first place ;)

Last – support isn’t trivial and, in my opinion, isn’t “optional” for a successful author. It’s a mandatory thing that helps customers… but more importantly, it helps you to make better products through updates, fixes, and feedback. Support is actually a pretty fun way to interact with customers, come up with new product/feature ideas, and develop relationships with other designers/developers that can be really rewarding. Take it seriously, make it a priority in your weekly schedule, and it won’t crash your business or take over your life… heck, I think it helps generate loyal customers and repeat sales… but that’s just my two cents ;)

Good luck! B

• Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

Thanks Brandon, awesome as usual.

• Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

Next, what you do and don’t support is entirely up to you, but be consistent. For years I supported ALL customizations, plugins, etc… that works for a while and customers will love you, but once you start getting more than 50 tickets a day asking for significant theme modifications, it becomes unreasonable to support all of that, and customers will begin to resent you if your response time goes above a couple days (and it will when things get hectic). That’s no good, so find a policy that you can maintain and is fair to your customers at the same time.
I already have a policy, if you check my profile page, just it’s strictly related to Joomla right now, but it will be adopted into WordPress as WP themes WILL come up and feedback will fill up my task list. I thank you for the advices, very good idea to organize support by sections. Coming soon :)

Time – I allocate 5-10 minutes per most tickets… with some being answered in 30 seconds, others (like bug reports) taking up to a couple hours to provide solutions for. At my peak, I can get up to 300 tickets a week, which gets a bit nuts and often requires me to hire outside help… I’ve even had some weeks where I spend 50 hours on just support alone. Other weeks (like right now) bring in an average of 10 a day which is a lot more reasonable.
This anwers my question very well, thanks so much. I also say if a request asks for some very basics of Joomla or perhaps a customization that takes more than 5 minutes, that falls into custom work at a hourly rate :)

Some people understand the situation of being busy some don’t and give bad comments, especially those who don’t read documentation. I think I had a lot of WP users who purchased my Joomla templates and asked for basics support or even had server issues with some settings like safe_mode = ON or mod_rewrite = OFF , magic_quotes = OFF and MANY others. Above all I hate PHP 5 .2.17, it’s bad and lots of people have it :)

230 posts Premium Website Design
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
ThemeFusion says

About 4 hrs per day divided between 3 team members. :)

-M

• Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

About 4 hrs per day divided between 3 team members. :) -M

150 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
ait says

We’ve got a dedicated developer just for our support forum. It usually takes about 3-6 hours a day. I think everything has already been mentioned above :)

• Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

Thanks mate :)

by