238 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sweden
dansjostedt says

I think you are getting upset for nothing.

First of all, if you are new on themeforest why would you click a banner? I would never click a banner on a website unless I knew the site could be trusted.

Secondly, it says from $20 dollars. As soon as they click and see the $200, $300, $500, $1000 dollar prices they will hit that backwards button as most people will think that is too expensive. Because why would they be at one of the cheapest and largest theme sites if they were willing to spend that amount of money? Exactly, they would’nt.

I think it is good for envanto to explore how this banner will affect sales and besides, they want to give their new project a fair chance and I for one really do get that.

There are so many posts about what envanto do wrong but I think they know what they are doing and you should have a bit trust in them as well. They got good staff and I don’t think they put up ads like that without looking at both positive and negative effects for everyone.
Name one good positive effect for everyone?

The customers who don’t want to spend more than $40 USD will click the banner > see the big price tickets > click backwards since they know tf had cheap prices > start looking. (not only do they see that microlancer is more expensive, it will give them an impression that themeforest is “cheap” as well which is positve since that makes them stay here and stop searching for alternatives.

Edit: and about your other post. How can you say that microlancer has nothing to do with envanto?

939 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

...Learn what microlancer is…
According to that banner, I just learned “web design from $20” ... Now that must be quite confusing for web beginners imo. It’s also, at least, puzzling for those who don’t know what microlancer is :)

True that. But again, most of them offer a customization work. So, guy offernig the work buys the theme/template from tf (or elsewhere) and customize it. He gets low money for eazy stuff, we get money from sales and customer get customized website so he doesn’t have to bother with it. It’s a win-win situation – that’s the original idea behind microlancer (or at least was)

1312 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
LGLab says

It’s also misleading to advertise “from $20” and link to one page design category where nothing cost anywhere near that, this is kind of tricking people imo, which is not a way to treat potential buyers, you are just taking someone who landed on TF to another page where they might feel they are being spammed.

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

It doesn’t matter if the banner drives buyers out if they won’t find what they’re looking for on ML.
It does. You don’t drive new potential buyers away. They don’t find what they’re looking for, they don’t know TF != ML and therefore you could have just lost them.

BF

1864 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

...Learn what microlancer is…
According to that banner, I just learned “web design from $20” ... Now that must be quite confusing for web beginners imo. It’s also, at least, puzzling for those who don’t know what microlancer is :)
True that. But again, most of them offer a customization work. So, guy offernig the work buys the theme/template from tf (or elsewhere) and customize it. He gets low money for eazy stuff, we get money from sales and customer get customized website so he doesn’t have to bother with it. It’s a win-win situation – that’s the original idea behind microlancer (or at least was)

It’s the context and message that bothers me. It got a top banner position, pastel colors, oversimplified confusing information, sense of a (cheaper) competition and all that.

What would make more sense would be something like Envato did to the Dreamhost ads. Not only it could be placed in the Downloads section, but it could also be placed on an item page sidebar and simply say “need a customization?” “find a freelancer on microlancer” or something like that. With the author being able to turn that ad off from his portfolio if he already offers customizations. This could make more sense to visitors, have better conversion, ability to opt-out for authors so it would not compete with the author’s work (you can buy icons here and on microlancer for example) and would be less aggressive if the banner is low profile.

But hey, if Envato releases a brand new and cool site and wants to spread the word more aggressively, let them have it – I just hope it won’t stay there long. A few days sounds about right in my opinion, as a celebration :)

851 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Australia
+2 more
Jordan_M Staff says

Hello all!

Thank you for your feedback. Just a few points about the header strip I want to make. Because of a mistake I made (d’oh), the Web Design from $20 is linking to the wrong page. It’s currently linking off to One Page Web Design, when in fact it should be linking to the web design parent category where you can get loads of individual UI elements for websites done – this will be fixed as soon as the Marketplaces deploy next.

It’s really important to keep in mind that what you get on Microlancer is fundamentally different to what you can get on the Marketplaces – we’re talking apples and oranges here. You can get an amazing, fully featured WordPress or other CMS theme here on ThemeForest for around $60. You simply cannot get that on Microlancer. What you can get is stuff like custom web design elements and more (like a navigation bar, footer, UI buttons, landing page etc) all built to your liking based on a brief you provide. You can’t get that on Marketplaces. It’s a completely different experience.

Microlancer is an important new part of the Envato ecosystem, we are one company along with Tuts+, Tuts+ Premium, AppStorm, Creattica, FreelanceSwitch (I hope I didn’t forget anything)! We want all of our authors and service providers to be able to earn a decent living from selling on the Envato network – this is a core part of Envato’s mission! Buyers will choose where to go based on their their specific needs for a project, remember what Microlancer offers is completely different to what the Marketplaces offer.

Microlancer is brand new and as part of our commitment to delivering value to Envato customers and to support our service providers (most of whom are Marketplace authors too!) – we need to get the word out at this early stage. Promotions like this are an important part of that support, especially so soon after launch. In the future, we expect Microlancer to organically attract a different market than the marketplaces do. Cross promoting the Marketplaces on Microlancer is also an important part of our strategy moving forwards. The love will go both ways, with the end result being more people who know where they can find awesome stock files and awesome freelancers to do custom work for them on a marketplace they can trust. :)

I know that might not resolve everyone’s concerns, but I hope it illustrates where we’re coming from.

7175 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

people, lol :) this a new marketplace and envato worked hard to create it. what about:

and let them promote their marketplace on their own network?

just joking, :)

but really,

instead of screaming around with the head on fire, what about you visit microlancer and check out if you can become an author there and make a lot of money?

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+3 more
revaxarts says

^ yeah, don’t be a rectangle guys!

1525 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
webdesignerart says

Yeah i also didn’t like that Microlancer top banner… THANKGS GOD in microlancer haven’t HTML/CSS coding service :P

99 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
ssievert says

^ yeah, don’t be a rectangle guys!

:-D LOL

by