• Community Moderator
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
robGD Volunteer moderator says

There’s this thing they do on daring fireball called layer tennis in Photoshop. I’d like to suggest we do the same as authors on AJ. We call it Track tennis. An author puts up a track that they are stuck on that they like, but they are stumped on. It can be a competition. We call it track tennis. What we do is start a contest where folks start a track and other AJ authors try to step in and add a track and build a song. The song gets killer based on votes and it grows from there. The AJ admins can judge the track and how it grows based on votes until it grows to be a song. Sounds like fun?? What do you guys and gals think? It needs more input to grow into a real contest but I thought it might be fun because I’m itching to collaborate with others here and it would be a good fun way to compete/collaborate and maybe some cool prizes can come of the tracks added together?

100 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
visualgroove says

sounds like an idea! i spent a lot of time viewing AJ authors’ profile page and found out that some authors have a very distinctive style of making tracks. it would turn out to be a superb cross-style music track.

if this was started, I would definitely count myself in. what do others think?

71 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Germany
dan_djorgi says

Good Idea robGD.

This could also end up in different versions of a track. This might be interesting too.

2715 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+3 more
DanielKeller says

yea… I agree, the music on AJ is so much different that something outstanding would come out of this competition… the idea is very original :)

but how about the integration to AJ? I’m a long time here, I had another account.. and how I remember the tracks that were in the previous competitions were used for Envato’s Asset Library or for selling here at AudioJungle….... but when we start something like a collaboration nobody can be the owner of these tracks, you know what I try to say?

the idea is good, but I guess we need a pracitcal use for it

688 posts
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States

It’s just like creating collections contest. As far as I’m concerned, the track doesn’t need to be sold. It’s more of a contribute to the community project anyway. AJ author showcase track. It then would have links to the folks who contributed and which instrument they added. The contest gets blogged about and talked about and it creates buzz for the site. If I get to contribute a layer to the track I hereby release my rights to any proceeds. ;)

2592 posts
  • Community Ambassador
  • Community Manager
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
+15 more
scottwills Staff says

I think this sounds like an awesome idea, robGD! You should totally roll with this idea in the AudioJungle forums as a bit of fun to begin with rather than a formal competition. :) Perhaps you guys could establish a brief set of rules first and then take things from there? I’d be interested to see what you guys come up with, sounds like a lot of fun!

70 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
tomh says

Pretty much the same comp was done on minimumnoise, except there were prizes. It’s a good idea, but it requires a decent web interface to let people see all the tracks on one page and vote. if the aj blog took it up, this could work well – a centralised announcement system and they’ve done polls in the past. could be a bit patchy on forums though. just to clarify, when you say “add a track” you mean add an instrument to the original song to go ontop, or add something to go afterwards?

688 posts
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States

Interested parties (authors) download the base track and adds something. This obviously would require knowing the key of the track and the genre. From there the submissions get widdled down by reviewers and presented to the Jungle for a vote. Then the track is presented again and everyone gives it another go. Might be too complicated depending on the number of submissions. How many authors are there on the Jungle at the moment? If there are hundreds and everyone jumps in it might not be something that can be done.

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+6 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

That sounds like an awesome idea! Would love to listen to the result of this!

346 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
musicformedia says

Hi guys, been a long time since I’ve been online as I’m still travelling around the world. Thought I’d just chime in here really quickly – its a great idea in theory, and can definitively work. Only issue is that you have to think – are you going to be using the source file or the mp3/wav file – if its the source file, not everyone will have the same DAW /version etc. and if its the mp3/wav file, then it will be difficult with timing, editing etc.

Of course this can be overcome, but thought I’d just say it to you guys so you know that you may come up against these issues :)

by
by
by
by
by
by