• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
meanthemes says

Hi, I figured this was the best place to ask this. We’ve got a working prototype for Twitter oAuth API v1.1 integration based on a custom widget utilising this source:

http://github.com/j7mbo/twitter-api-php

It’s all working brilliantly, however – when running theme check we are presented with these warnings.

WARNING: Found base64_encode in the file framework/twitter-api.php. base64_encode() is not allowed. Line 151: $oauth_signature = base64_encode(hash_hmac(‘sha1’, $base_info, $composite_key, true)); WARNING: curl_init was found in the file framework/twitter-api.php possible file operations.Line 198: $feed = curl_init(); WARNING: curl_exec was found in the file framework/twitter-api.php possible file operations.Line 200: $json = curl_exec($feed);

Basically, I’d like an official response on this as I don’t think we can avoid using those techniques to get what we need from the Twitter API. The code is not encrypted and they are valid PHP functions, obviously there is no malicious code either.

Will we be able to release a Twitter API v1.1 oAuth enabled theme whilst these warnings remain?

Thanks in advance

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+3 more
revaxarts says

^ base64 encoding is required to generate the signature. I guess it’s no problem in this case.

59 posts MeanThemes
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
meanthemes says

^ base64 encoding is required to generate the signature. I guess it’s no problem in this case.

Yes, that is our understanding too, hopefully one of the lovely envato people will confirm and we can get the updated widget into all our themes in time :)

1190 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+1 more
tommusrhodus says

I could do with an official word from Envato TBH, A number of my themes use a ‘feature’ tweet (like many others) that will be made invalid by the new Twitter 1.1 style guidelines, not to mention the horror of actually now trying to provide a decent twitter widget solution.

So I ask Envato this, have you / are you planning on making buyers aware of what’s happening? Because the general feel of this thread is that most authors are planning on retiring twitter support across all themes, I’m thinking of doing the same.

My worry is, if buyers have not been educated about these catastrophic API changes, then any authors planning a retirement for integrated twitter solutions are going to receive an inevitable backlash from buyers, which could, in some authors cases, result in 1000’s of messages, support requests etc.

I think sometimes an authors inability to contact buyers results in a situation like this, we can’t pre-warn, we can’t inform and educate & the result is that many themes and templates are about to break, whether integrating a new solution or retiring the old, I’m sure most people are about the feel the burden..

59 posts MeanThemes
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
meanthemes says

I think sometimes an authors inability to contact buyers results in a situation like this, we can’t pre-warn, we can’t inform and educate & the result is that many themes and templates are about to break, whether integrating a new solution or retiring the old, I’m sure most people are about the feel the burden..

This is my worry too, even though we are aiming to have an alternative, we’re still inevitably going to get an influx of “my twitters broken” or “my theme is broken” type support and more support explaining that each user will have to go to dev.twitter.com, login to twitter, authorise their own app and then create authentication tokens and then copy all those weird encrypted keys back into the theme options.

An official word from Themeforest on code compliance based on above will be great for me as we can then educate our customers about the changes to the Twitter API and quickly deal with support requests by making it clear what is going on and how to deal with it.

It would also be super-fantastic if Envato were able to globally announce (maybe in the header bar above the toolbar where Microlancer currently is) about the changes to the Twitter API and how it will have a far reaching effect on a lot of the items sold on their marketplace.

1190 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+1 more
tommusrhodus says

It would also be super-fantastic if Envato were able to globally announce (maybe in the header bar above the toolbar where Microlancer currently is) about the changes to the Twitter API and how it will have a far reaching effect on a lot of the items sold on their marketplace.

+1,000,000

5226 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+9 more
KingDog Staff says

You may need to open up a Support ticket for this one so they can forward it to the Review department :)

59 posts MeanThemes
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
meanthemes says

You may need to open up a Support ticket for this one so they can forward it to the Review department :)

I’ve requested a staff reply but will raise a ticket too, thanks for the advice :)

1 post
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
scottlangendyk says

+1,000,000

Agreed, I just updated my Twitter item, and would be nice to have Envato’s backing when dealing with the inevitable flood of messages come Monday.

3674 posts Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

I’ve requested a staff reply but will raise a ticket too, thanks for the advice :)

If you meant the forum button ‘request staff reply’, then I guess that’s what KingDog just did ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by