4 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United Kingdom
lukejacksonn says

So I uploaded my first project last night, for the second time..

First submission feedback – “Its not we don’t like it, but the template is not good enough for ThemeForest. The overall design and aesthetic quality are not ready for ThemeForest.”

The second submission I got no feedback.

Here is the preview -> http://lukejacksonn.com/Projects/Layout001/main_files/

Could anyone tell me where i’m going wrong?

356 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
billyf says

Hi,

You have good concept, but the design needs a lot of improvement. Some things you need to change are :
  1. The header and navigation buttons are too ‘plain’ and ‘monotonous’. Perhaps you should do something on the logo and buttons to make them more attractive.
  2. Using only plain colours and shadows will not be enough for ThemeForest. Try working on more details, such as 1px highlight, subtle shadow, small rounded edges etc. (since, I think, your plan is to use the ‘Mac’ style for your design)
  3. You need to improve your typography and spacing. Use appropriately-sized text and more padding to improve legibility. Also, I would suggest you to keep all the text aligned to the left, instead of having some aligned at the centre.
  4. Polish everything

That’s all for now. Good luck getting it accepted and don’t give up easily :)

51 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
MightyFine says

It does not happen too often but in this case, you will probably not face an approval for the next 3 years. Your knowledge is far below basic and this design is never gonna make it on themeforest. You should consider another option of income, webdesign doesn’t suit you. Cheers!

4 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
lukejacksonn says

Thanks Billyf :) Some great constructive criticism there, the menu was intentionally left simple but if it’s not working then I will change it up!

Typography is such a tough topic, can anyone recommend a good learning resource for it?

51 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
MightyFine says

Okay listen, if you don’t want honest opinions, don’t ask for it.
Reporting my opinion is weak and will lead you nowhere.

I gladly repeat: I recommend trashing this theme and looking for tutorials and resources to learn more about what you’re trying to achieve, because at this state you will never make it to themeforest.
Your skills are very low and I understand why the reviewer didn’t bother to give concrete feedback.

Cheers

5093 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

Reporting my opinion is weak and will lead you nowhere.

There’s a difference between providing constructive and just being rude. None of us had the skills when we began to produce the kind of work that would be accepted on ThemeForest. But through learning and constantly refining our work, anyone can be good enough to sell here. It’s all about having the right attitude. And if Luke devotes the time and energy into it, then I say go for it!

74 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Panama
solybarr says

Hi Luke, off the top of my head, i wouldnt box everything up.. the area above the fold looks great with the box, but below maybe not so much.. The contact form looks ok boxed.. but as I said.. not everything should be highlighted that way..

As a buyer, Its still raw.. put some more TLC on it :)

S.

46 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ghana
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
xPLyCT says

It does not happen too often but in this case, you will probably not face an approval for the next 3 years. Your knowledge is far below basic and this design is never gonna make it on themeforest. You should consider another option of income, webdesign doesn’t suit you. Cheers!

WTF !

4 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
lukejacksonn says

I wasn’t asking for your honest opinion, the question i asked was “Could anyone tell me where i’m going wrong?”. I mentioned in my report that your response didn’t offend me personally but might put others off asking questions that could result in them producing better work. Although still rather blunt, your latter comment was much more constructive than your previous attempt. Try keep things optimistic, cheers!

i wouldnt box everything up.. put some more TLC on it :)

Valuable advice, duly noted! Thanks Soly

by
by
by
by
by
by