242 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ATLChris says

I wanted to get your thoughts on this. One of my main concerns on here is people using my themes with out purchasing them. You know, people just sending the ZIP to a friend…

So, let me present this to you, would it be unethical or uncalled for if I put in a little bit of code in my scripts that notifies me when my themes are installed on a server? i.e. when the theme is activated, a email is sent to me letting me know the URL of the site it is being used on. Is that weird?

What are your thoughts? Let me just say, I am not doing this on any of my themes or scripts, just something that crossed my mind and I wanted to get your thoughts on.

69 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
GlennMcKeown says

my thoughts are that if people really want it for free they’ll find a way to do so.

even if you get a report of URLs you don’t have a list of who bought them to check against? or am i incorrect in saying this?

242 posts
+2 more
ATLChris says

I agree, I wish ThemeForest.net used order numbers so I could require people to enter a order number then I could double check that with my order history, but Theme Forest doesn’t do this which sucks.

960 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

Hmm…see that to me just sounds like too much work, I can understand you scrambling your HTML on the live preview though that is a good idea. Ultimately, people will get them for free but they are in the minority.

I just scourr google every now and then for the names of my themes.

675 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
dexterous says

I agree, people who really want to steal or copy or freely distribute, they will find a way. but these people are surely less in the numbers. Quality items and themes will always sell great here.

I think putting hidden links or worms in your themes which will report about the installation of your theme will be unethical, and it is bad for the community too.. because it can put off the genuine buyers and can destroy the integrity of Envato in whole. This is my opinion about it.

65 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+5 more
templatesquare says

If this is about wordpress theme, I read about GPL License that allow people to redistribute the theme even for free… not sure about that? anyone know more info about this?

2459 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says
If this is about wordpress theme, I read about GPL License that allow people to redistribute the theme even for free… not sure about that? anyone know more info about this?

Yep, that seems to be true… premiummod.com … it seems that if you, as an author, opt for a GPL License on your commercial themes, there’s nothing preventing people to do so…

60 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Located in Bolivia
+1 more
Slimmity says

Going back on the “people that use them for free” subject, well just let them, after all the people that appreciate your work and realize how much it costs to do such themes/designs/templates etc etc.. will actually pay for them.

2324 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
CreativeMilk says
I agree, I wish ThemeForest.net used order numbers so I could require people to enter a order number then I could double check that with my order history, but Theme Forest doesn’t do this which sucks.

this is a great idea

65 posts
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+5 more
templatesquare says
Yep, that seems to be true… premiummod.com … it seems that if you, as an author, opt for a GPL License on your commercial themes, there’s nothing preventing people to do so…

this is example site that use gpl license as a reason to redistribute other people work…

Going back on the “people that use them for free” subject, well just let them, after all the people that appreciate your work and realize how much it costs to do such themes/designs/templates etc etc.. will actually pay for them.

yes, there are still many people willing to pay for our hard work…

@ATLChris
In my opinion it is no problem if you put tracking code in your theme, but you can’t do anything about it…

I was think about this, but I only want to know which site use my theme and how my theme looks in the live site

by
by
by
by
by
by