123 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
egobuilders says

So my first HTML theme was rejected. Here’s why… “Your template does not provide a unique enough design with the necessary design quality, features and options to compete in the marketplace at this time. It requires improvements in term of design, visual hierarchy, typography, layout and its aesthetic quality but most importantly, its uniqueness and how the design is executed.”

http://elevation.egobuilders.net

Please tell me where improvements can be made. You can’t hurt my feelings even if you try, so please don’t be easy one me ; ) I’m going to add a Wordpress Blog to it while I await feedback.

I guess it wasn’t enough to have a fully functional PHP contact form with validation, a newsletter sign-up with validation, a “send this link to a friend” form with validation (all with confirmation emails to the visitor and site administrator), an “Add to Bookmarks” button, 10 sidebar widgets, social networking icons, unlimited Fancybox photo galleries, unlimited Fancybox video galleries, the ability to easily embed .mov, .flv, and .mp4 videos, 2 navigation menus to choose from, a customizeable image slider that you can resize with options to show/hide the slider buttons, and a jQuery expandable and retractable content area at the top for additional page features… maybe I’m just not trying hard enough.

357 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
billyf says

Hello,

While features are very important, but I think a template’s design is the most important aspect in ThemeForest.

First, the logo looks quite dated. Although it will be changed by purchasers, but it is important to make it suits your theme nicely when you are selling it. Besides, the header area looks quite crowded.

Instead of showing parts of the next slide, perhaps it would be much better if you can just show 1 slide at a time (fit 100% screen width). Right now, it looks rather cluttered and messy. The buttons used for the slider navigation could have been improved.

The navigation menu seems more like a website’s sitemap located at the footer. The design of the menu should be improved, with better background on hover because rounded corner + strong gradient seems quite outdated now.

Typography and spacing has a lot of room for improvement. Having different line-height for fonts at different parts makes the design messy.

That’s all for now. Good luck improving it and don’t give up easily :)

286 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in France
+3 more
2Fwebd says
Hi egobuilders ! Yes Themeforest see first the design, the features after…Some improvements about your template :)
  • Spacing between the social icons is too high
  • Arrows in your slider looks very old…
  • The navigation menu seems more like a website’s sitemap located at the footer. The design of the menu should be improved, with better background on hover because rounded corner + strong gradient seems quite outdated now.
    Yea :p !
  • I like the concept in the contact area but the text isn’t readable…(grey over grey)
  • Images in the content miss something (a border, a shadow ?) Text too on the text over the gradient you should add an text shadow (In or outdoor) to emphasize your text :)
It’s just my opinion on the Homepage, hope it will help you :) Regards
by
by
by
by
by
by