121 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
egobuilders says

I orignially posted this under “Site Feedback” and somehow it moved to “Item Discussion” – anyway, here it goes…

So my first HTML theme was rejected. Here’s why… “Your template does not provide a unique enough design with the necessary design quality, features and options to compete in the marketplace at this time. It requires improvements in term of design, visual hierarchy, typography, layout and its aesthetic quality but most importantly, its uniqueness and how the design is executed.”

http://elevation.egobuilders.net

Please tell me where improvements can be made. You can’t hurt my feelings even if you try, so please don’t be easy one me ; ) I’m going to add a Wordpress Blog to it while I await feedback.

I guess it wasn’t enough to have a fully functional PHP contact form with validation, a newsletter sign-up with validation, a “send this link to a friend” form with validation (all with confirmation emails to the visitor and site administrator), an “Add to Bookmarks” button, 10 sidebar widgets, social networking icons, unlimited Fancybox photo galleries, unlimited Fancybox video galleries, the ability to easily embed .mov, .flv, and .mp4 videos, 2 navigation menus to choose from, a customizeable image slider that you can resize with options to show/hide the slider buttons, a jQuery expandable and retractable content area at the top for additional page features, Google Fonts, and 3 Home pages to choose from… maybe I’m just not trying hard enough.

120 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
cdavidson says

if you want stuff accepted by reviewers. make them exactly like what’s already offered on the website. lol ;)

962 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
EireStudio says

To me, it looks like a bit of a wireframe, although not as bare as one. The shadows are pretty naff in my opinion, typography is pretty bad. Use sprites for image hovers as they “blink” when you replace a brand new image etc. The circular icons don’t have any information about them, so I don’t know what will happen when I click them :/

But the main thing is the design. If I was you, I would start fresh and ask what you’re bringing to the table and why someone would buy your template from another nicely designed one.

Hope that helps.

44 posts Jegtheme
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Indonesia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
jegtheme says

i think your design is good. TF standard is very high indeed.

4264 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Venezuela
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says

if you want stuff accepted by reviewers. make them exactly like what’s already offered on the website. lol ;)

Actually that’s not true.

@egobuilders Your template is in essence ‘unique’, however it lacks details in its design:

- Shadows’ spread and opacity should be reduced
- Significant improvements in typography and visual hierarchy
- Whitespace inconsistency
- Alignment issues everywhere.

I know you tried something different and this is exactly what we need, more unique designs. Sorry if I didn’t provided more specific feedback.

Feel free to lodge a ticket and I’ll be more than glad to help you.

2 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
vabmedia says

Hello…new to theme building. This looks nice to me at first glance, but also at the same time when I looked at it, I felt like it took too much energy from me to see different aspects of the site. This design may be overwhelming to a visitor. It does look like there is a lot of shadowing everywhere, I sort of don’t understand why there is a separation in color for the main galleries page—I do but not really. I get it for the different services, but it’s almost like it throws you off because you aren’t sure what that new area with the different color is….I think the shadowing is making this look too separate where you want the elements on the page to be more cohesive.

3244 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

Going from top to bottom:

1. Make a better logo! Smaller and get rid of the icon.. it looks bad. Use sprites for the icons, not different images.. And this is a general rule for the entire website.

2. Make the “invisible slides” darker than the “current/centered slide” .. they get all the attention and it shouldn’t be like that. Also make the buttons a bit more elegant(and a lot less large) and maybe find them a new centered spot that works better in the context of a centered slider. Currently you don’t have too much simetry inside it.

3. I like the gradient on the menu, but i hate the beveled hovers. Go with something more subtle .. also maybe add some text effects and make the horizontal rules transparent..

4. I don’t get what’s with the shadow below the entire menu or why do you use it to divide every block of content. Think of something else, more elegant and subtle.. Also, use darker colors on fonts when you’re on a white background. I like the color combination in the vimeo block, but i don’t like it in the block above. maybe this is also because i don’t like the noisy white patter .. go with something more subtle(maybe you can stick with that, but lighten it up a lot).

The blocks of services have too much shadow, you should do something more subtle and elegan. The “more” button is an epic failure while the typography needs a lot of improvement(better line spacing like you have in the vimeo block)

So .. you see that i like the vimeo block .. that’s good, but the services block is really ugly. Look at the vimeo block and after you’ll provide that also(be consistent in headings font), do something similar for the other blocks.

5. Isn’t the homepage a bit too long for a homepage?

Anyway .. the most common words in my comment are “elegant” and “subtle” .. Keep these in mind and polish your design! You have a good start, but you’re a bit far from making it beautiful!

121 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
egobuilders says

I appreciate everyone’s input and honesty. The funny thing is, I don’t even design like that normally, I was emulating a lot of what I saw on ThemeForest (the shadows are a bit much though I admit LOL ). Also, what really confuses me, is that most of the comments contradict what many of the top selling themes contain. For example, I see top selling themes on a regular basis that have no organization on the page whatsoever, just random sized content areas with square photos and text so small it’s illegible with extremely tight line-heights, and each section is not lined up with the section above it. Also, some of the logos in the top selling themes are a circle with a word in it. Really? Seriously? LOL . I hate my logo too, though : )

I’m not bashing the top sellers… I think it’s great that they found what works and are able to generate high-selling themes at will. Don’t we all wish we could do that? It seems like I really have to rethink what people want.

The only comment that seems consistent with what I SEE on ThemeForest is… “if you want stuff accepted by reviewers, make them exactly like what’s already offered on the website.” I totally agree with that, and I see consistent manifestations of that throughout ThemeForest on an ongoing basis.

I’m going to start from scratch with everyone’s input in mind. And I will keep working at it even if my next 10 designs get rejected, and eventually I’ll get it. I spent too much time learning Wordpress to give up LOL .

Thanks everyone!

by
by
by
by
by
by