140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
FlashBros says
Because you can’t just “join” templatemonster.
That’s why they have the unique price and FD doesn’t… they have selected the best authors to build their templates, here almost anyone can join….the unique price kinda defeats the purpose of selling micro stock. Authors in the long run will make more money selling files multiple times at low price compared to selling it at a once off high price to a single buyer. The secret to selling here is to be patient, you not going to become rich over night, but with several quality files up you can get a steady income stream within 6 months or so.

Exactly, i think the business model that is a lot more like FD is I stock, and they never gave this option, not for their flash, and not for their pictures. Template monster is completely different business type…First their files price are at the base a lot higher – simple template start at 65$ up to 125$- and it doesnt work with freelancer like flashden at all, you cannot join template monster. Imagine if DS had sold is advanced website at 3,000$ hehe ;)

988 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
thomas07 says

@ arquitectostyles, you are thinking “so small”, i am an veteran TM author my friend (this thread has 11 pages…go a little back to read other posts first)...dont need recommendations and i know what i am asking for, i (and many others) need a similar licence on envato marketplaces.

@FlashBros, ...it is an option that we are asking for, not something standard…just like the newly implemented “10 use licence” and the “50 use licence” (which i definitely wont use for any of my items)...why not now the “unique purchaise” licence? :D . If envato can think of it and implement it, that would be great. If not, then well…we will continue to sell our Premium stuff on sites that does offer this licence and post simple items we do “in a mean while” to envato. And YES , why not have items at the world market standards on envato as only “simple 5 mins” jobs…create better quality stuff and get better payed LOL . Improving the marketplace items quality is not an bad opinion + just picture it for a moment, if envato marketplaces can offer the same quality at some lower price than this “well known and hard to join” marketplaces ?

140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
FlashBros says
@ arquitectostyles, i am an veteran TM author my friend (this thread has 11 pages…go a little back to read other posts first)...dont need recommendations and i know what i am asking for, i (and many others) need a similar licence on envato marketplaces. @FlashBros, ...it is an option that we are asking for, not something standard…just like the newly implemented “10 use licence” and the “50 use licence”...why not now the “unique purchaise” licence? :D . If envato can think of it and implement it, that would be great…if not then well…we will continue to seel our Premium stuff on sites that does offer this licence and post simple items we do “in a mean while” to envato. And YES , why not have items at the world market standards on envato as only “simple 5 mins” jobs…create better quality stuff and get better payed LOL . Improving the marketplace items quality is not an bad opinion + just picture it for a moment, if envato marketplaces can offer the same quality at some lower price than this “well known and hard to join” marketplaces ?

The main problem is that, in other website, they sell their simple template starting at 65$, so we are very competitive here, and you can buy it unique at 2,900$...Here we will not be able to be competitive…I’m working hard right now on a website template to sell here, and there is no way i want to sell it at 2,900$ (meaning 1,300$ in my pocket ), i will make a lot more with it in one year here for sure…So i suppose that only authors that don’t sell their item very well are going to be interested in that option .. For the OTHER site, since they work from inside, it’s pretty easy to sell unique at relative low price, have you seen how they recyclate everything ?? i think you can see the same buttons or transitions on 30 different templates, so if you buy a unique item, they can put a new one slightly different 2 days after.

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

I’ve gotta agree with digitalscience on this one – the “unique” license just doesn’t match the format of the rest of the Envato marketplace. The key to success here is a stable of high quality products that cross-promote each other and promote high sales volumes.

Not to mention the fact that this “unique” license idea totally conflicts with the reason that customers come to the Envato marketplace in the first place, which is to find good-to-high quality microstock at affordable prices. In most cases the customers here aren’t big spenders; anyone with a reasonable budget will simply hire a freelancer…. trying to sell a license for anything over $100 is like trying to sell an expensive Johnny Walker Blue King whiskey ($600) at your local 7-11 (or other convenience store), which typically makes it’s profit off of $14.99 24 packs of Bud Light. The target markets for these two products are simply too different to be sold in the same storefront without alienating one or the other.

988 posts
+4 more
thomas07 says

naa, they have it for any template in their library…once a template is purchaised with the unique licence, this template get removed forever from their library. Meaning, all copyrights get transfered to the buyer and the buyer is free to do with this item whatever he/she wish…sell to others, give free away ect.

Yes, you are completely right on the point you specified…a file can make you much more on the long run here…but this is still a long run. Unique Purchaise licence is for people who produce a lot and want to make money right away from that file. Means, you create…lets say a flash site template that you didnt work very long on it. Then have some approx income expections, lets say…how much would you charge for this template if someone hired you freelance?...well, approx same amound of $ get stated for this creation. Where is the advantage here?...simple, you get payed instantly for something that you didnt have really big expections from on a long run. What happens is simple:

you get an amound of money for that file, that you probably wont ever get (even life long) sold right away for an acceptable $

buyer get something unique, that no one else have and own all the rights over this file

envato get commission amound they can only dream about from a single file at 1 time sale and they are done with that file forever

all 3 parties are happy…no?

922 posts
+13 more
MDNW says

Oh – and regarding the notion that designers who aren’t happy with the lack of a “unique license” will flock to other marketplaces – that’s simply not so. There’s quite a few of us here that A) freelance for our full rate, which is significantly more expensive than the products here and B ) sell microstock here on ThemeForest (or FD, GR, etc.) as a means of passive income and exposure, which ultimately drives the full-rate freelancing. Sure, there’s going to be some designers who insist on having things their way, but by and large Envato drives the traffic & sales volume that supports the model that they’ve built.

988 posts
+4 more
thomas07 says

I think Epicera is the one that makes most sense with messages here…i am getting convienced LOL :D, but note that the things you say in your last message may meet only some new starters to the design industry as general. Many of us, have their names on that map before we even joined envato or even before envato was launched at all…so gain online exposure trough envato is maybe very right and valid point only for this authors. What you say about beeng or becoming full-time freelancer is so right, but the fact is that most of us are already so and have their very own resources for freelance jobs. I mean, placing a file here on envato and then expect someone to hire you for freelance work (like add an extra button to your flash template item) is much more like time waste…there are better ways to get hired for freelance work than this like the freelance marketplaces (not going to list them now as there are ton of them out there).

But in general…many of you are right…this unique purchaise licence maybe not right jost coz of the recent buyer level or items offered. But never forget that this totaly depend on what you have to offer…changing this or have it as an option…simply serve ALSO OTHER niche is never wrong.

922 posts
+13 more
MDNW says

@thomas07: This format that you’re suggesting already exists in the industry in the form of freelancing – there’s no need to duplicate it. The client gets a unique product with full rights, the designer gets the price he/she wants up front, and there is no need for a third party marketplace. It sounds like what’s you’re looking for is a marketing plan that will help bring in more freelance requests, not a holistic overhaul of the licensing system here.

Besides, you’re suggesting that products here are “quickly put together in a few minutes”, where many of us work hard on our products to create high quality templates as opposed to these “scrap files” that you’re suggesting. Frankly, I’m pretty sure that if you invest more time in any particular product, it’ll yield higher sales volume – the alternative is sloppy, low quality files that don’t really offer value to anyone (especially the customer).

Furthermore, the notion of comparing a “template” with the services of a high quality “freelancer” is sorta absurd. The value of a hiring a freelancer is that you get custom work made specifically to your requests and business goals. The value of a template is that you get a solid starting template that you’ll need to invest time/money into before it’s perfect for you. Why would anyone buy a template for the price of a freelancer?

I’d make a guess that there’s quite a few freelancers on here that buy templates just for use in their freelance activities (I know because I’m one of them). The reality is that these two sides of the industry (microstock and freelancing) compliment each other quite nicely so long as both sides understand their roll in the marketplace.

922 posts
+13 more
MDNW says

@thomas07 : thanks for conceding the point (although I should note that digitalscience pointed it out first ;) ). I appreciate that you’re trying to come up with new and interesting ideas for the marketplace. Here’s my last thought for now:

I mean, placing a file here on envato and then expect someone to hire you for freelance work is much more like time waste…there are better was to get hired for freelance work than this like the freelance marketplaces (not going to list them now as there are ton of them out there). – Thomas07

I actually have an opposite experience so far. ThemeForest drives several real freelance inquiries every week. Some of them pan out, some of them don’t – on average, these TF generated inquiries for freelance work far outweigh the inquiries that I get through more traditional marketing strategies. The only other difference is that here, I actually get paid for marketing – not the other way around. My suggestion is to take a little extra time on each file that you offer to showcase the full extent of your abilities, not whipping together a file as quickly as possible to turn a quick buck. If there are people out there visiting the site that A) see your work and like it and B ) have a budget to spend on custom work, they will eventually contact you for freelance work. This IS NOT a surefire way of generating freelance inquiries (there are quite a few job boards for that), but it’s the best way I’ve found so far here on TF.

Hope that makes sense – I know that this is a pretty heated debate – just keep in mind these are my personal opinions & ideas and I’ve tried to express them as respectfully as possible. Cheers!

988 posts
+4 more
thomas07 says

actally no, not looking to bring in the need of more freelancing…its all about having the option to seel stuff under this licence and the buyer get something that no one else have or use(ed). Its really very large theme to talk about or arround it…alone from restrictions (which even no one of us stated…restrictions stated when this market born at all). Si,mple facts like the music or video industry…simple facts of design elements overused and many times shared via not very legal ways. It is us, that allowe this happens, example if you have your files accessable at so low cost, you automaticaly take the risk been purchaised by someone who just make money the other ways (using popularity of others to drive traffic to their site and make money from advertising…warez?). We can talk about “in” and “out”s of this things for days long and still wont be done at the end. But hey, if we would just have this licence option, things would change for many of us, alone the authors of AudioJungle, GraphicRiver and VideoHive…not even need to specify for authors at ThemeForest as they produce stuff that is really very popular this days like the wordpress themes which we all see floating the warez sites already…then automaticaly comes in mind…why schould i “buy” when there is already a free one available? Well, due to such simple facts, many of us dont simply want to sell under the licences available recently. This are all things was specified in some previous threads and posts…but i think, at the end it is not really us that must tihnk of it so hard about. Make the licence available and see the benefits…dont make the licence available, well then accept to be happy with that what you get.

by
by
by
by
by
by