• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

@thomas07: I’ve gotta be honest and say I have no clue what your last post is trying to say… I think you’re trying to express that this is a long conversation and what happens, happens for better or worse… but the language/proofreading barrier was pretty steep on your last comment.

Sorry I can’t respond directly. Anyways – yes, this is a long debate, but having put in my two cents I’m gonna step out for a bit. Cheers :)

988 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

thats cool, thanks for taking time and share your opinions…much appreciated. I also must get back to work LOL …cheers :D

86 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
singh336 says

but still i just dont think the customers coming here to buy stuff are coming here looking to spend that kind of money, the price does not seem worth it to be unique they could do the same thing, customized to their needs by hiring a designer/developer one on one.

the whole point of these sites is quality material for next to nothing in cost…. these themes have sold TONS of times yet u dont see them everywhere so its not an issue to be unique IMO …

again i just dont think people come here prepared to drop over 50 bucks on ANY one item…

2114 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
fifty_tons says
In my opinion buyers , if interested, would only like the unique idea, if they were the first buyer.

+1 that says it all.

2309 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
theflyingtinman says
This format that you’re suggesting already exists in the industry in the form of freelancing – there’s no need to duplicate it.

@Epicera: I’m not sure where I stand on the idea of offering an exclusive use license in the Envato marketplace but I would like to point out that it is not the equivalent of Freelancing. In freelancing all your work is almost entirely a reaction to client specifications. Under the “exclusive use” license authors are bounded only by their own creativity and imagination, but have an opportunity to earn a decent income from a highly creative and well implemented niche idea. It’s no coincidence that most templates here target creative types; there is already a large pool of potential customers visiting Envato every day, but if, say, a Flash developer were to create a really great website targeting Realtors, for example, they would likely never sell enough copies on Flashden over any amount of time to make it worth the development time. However, if it were to be offered with an exclusive use license it would only take one Realtor to stumble on it and be impressed enough to buy it and all the hard work is rewarded. Of course a certain amount of freelancing will inevitably result from the purchase of some “exclusive use” items to make them fit exactly the clients’ requirements.

This leads me to the conclusion that if Envato were to consider offering an “exclusive use” license at all there should perhaps be two categories: one for template-type items, in which the item is offered only for a fixed period of time with an “exclusive use” license, and later reverts to the general stock marketplace if it remains unsold, and one for niche items which would remain priced for exclusive use until they are sold or removed.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

@theflyingtinman : good thoughts, and I agree – freelance doesn’t necessarily match up perfectly with ‘exclusive licenses’ – I intended that example more as a price/value comparison as the costs that people are throwing around for this unique license are similar to what a freelancer might charge.

In my opinion buyers , if interested, would only like the unique idea, if they were the first buyer.

As fifty-tons has pointed out – in addition to all of the other arguments against an exclusive license, this one stands out as the most problematic. The very notion of exclusivity precludes that no one else has the design. Your suggestion of having a phased “unique license” period of time where buyers could in effect buy the rights to a product before it hits the market solves that problem, but it underlines another – What becomes of the market when the “best” designs that are normally offered as microstock are unavailable? The core income flow from countless $10 or $15 purchases would become a trickle and the overall level of quality in the library drops… and many of the highest quality items that would normally net several thousands of dollars over time would be sold off at a fraction of their “lifetime value”.

And this is assuming that there is even a demand for these ultra-high priced licenses… which I still think doesn’t exist (although I’d be happy to find out that I’m wrong).

No one really wins in this case – the author gets more money up front, but less in the long run – the marketplace deals with the same issue, in addition to the fact that the removed items will weaken it’s product-base – and the customer just paid top dollar for a template that they could have paid a freelancer to build for them… and they’ll most likely still have to fork out cash to a freelancer to customize it.

I understand the appeal of being able to make quick-cash from any one product, I just think it breaks many of the marketing/business rules that exist in the market today; not to mention that I still have not read a full scenario proposed on this board that explains this new license idea as a viable and healthy direction for the marketplace. In every case that I’ve read so far, there are a few benefits with overwhelming detriments, complications, and legal obstacles.

Symphony-of-Specters
Symphony-of-Specters Recent Posts Threads Started
194 posts SoS - Custom Music and More!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+2 more
Symphony-of-Specters says

I’m not certain how effective the unique price would be for a site template or something that would potentially sell a lot, but I CAN vouch that a system like this for audio could work very well. There are many types of songs that are in niche markets, game music especially holds extreme importance when somebody wants to stand apart from the others.

In this regard game music here sells very poorly because after the fifth time or so people don’t want to buy it anymore because somewhere out there, there are 5 games with that same track.

It is impossible to make $200+ with a single track in this niche market, but a lot more money can be made by a buyer who was willing to pay that extra to make sure the track they bought is only used by them.

2309 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
theflyingtinman says

@epicera: You make a good point about the possible loss of the “cream” from Envato by allowing them to be sold on an “exclusive use” license. This helps me firm up my position: It really only makes good sense to allow authors to opt for an “exclusive use” license for “niche” items which would almost certainly never reach significant sales numbers over time.

So in my ideal scenario authors would be able to request an “exclusive use” license if they believe a file fills a niche well but would target only a small market.

If Envato agree that the file is a “niche” item Envato would then suggest a price but the author would have the right to reject the suggested price before the file is presented in the marketplace.

If Envato feel the file is generic enough to generate significant sales they could reject the author’s request for an “exclusive use” license and offer the author the option to have it treated as a normal stock item upload.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Motionreactor says

I totally agree with DigitalScience. If you do some research and look at the long running and successful products on FD you’ll notice that they have earnt more for the authors than a single sale ever would have. Buyers benefit and so do authors from the micro stock system.

47 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Kai-ser says

For Audio: If I would search the www for someone who could create a great and unique piano track for my next project, because I don’t know someone who could do this for me, (for example) and google would lead me to audiojungle.net and i would, and there is actually no way i would not, discover the portfolio of MusicforMedia..well i would contact him directly and i would pay his rate for an unique track…

quality sells, quality results in custom inqueries, results in unique items, results in higher prices, simple as that.. my 42cents and thanks for all the fish

by
by
by
by
by
by