94 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
JimmyP says

Wow, this really hits home for me. Thank you for this insightful post Naomi.

I’m currently studying Computer Science at a university in the UK, and to be honest, it’s not going very well. The course is not exactly well “designed” – There’s an OOP module, a maths module, an Information Systems module and a “Managers and Organisations” module. The last two are utterly dull and completely detract from any enjoyment I could gain from the OOP module. They’re not just dull; I would definitely question their relevance to my course. Frankly, the IS module, is just re-iterating what I had to learn in secondary school.

I tried joining some societies but there were none that tickled my fancy.

I think universities in general have changed masses over the years, and people older and wiser than me can attest to this. They used to be a place where you could turn up to a lecture or seminar if you were interested, but now these institutions are riddled with requirements. The university process has morphed into a tick-box exercise… It doesn’t feel like learning; it feels like a chore…

This is just my limited opinion. I’m going to stop writing now.. I could easily talk for days on end about this topic!

34 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
ChordsofLife says

Pretty much where I’m at now, except I focus a lot more on design than development. I’m also in the process of starting a business – exactly how you mentioned, simply by getting involved.

Unfortunately, time is a huge issue and I’m in serious danger of failing a class I need as a pre-req for a class next semester… to graduate. Stressed.

2317 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

Nice post!!

415 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
osigrandi says
Wow, this really hits home for me. Thank you for this insightful post Naomi.

I’m currently studying Computer Science at a university in the UK, and to be honest, it’s not going very well. The course is not exactly well “designed” – There’s an OOP module, a maths module, an Information Systems module and a “Managers and Organisations” module. The last two are utterly dull and completely detract from any enjoyment I could gain from the OOP module. They’re not just dull; I would definitely question their relevance to my course. Frankly, the IS module, is just re-iterating what I had to learn in secondary school.

I tried joining some societies but there were none that tickled my fancy.

I think universities in general have changed masses over the years, and people older and wiser than me can attest to this. They used to be a place where you could turn up to a lecture or seminar if you were interested, but now these institutions are riddled with requirements. The university process has morphed into a tick-box exercise… It doesn’t feel like learning; it feels like a chore…

This is just my limited opinion. I’m going to stop writing now.. I could easily talk for days on end about this topic!

Aghhh I so completely feel you! I’ve had the same experience, practically everything that I know how to do well, I’ve had to learn on my own. We studied lots of stuff with no immediate applicability in the real, professional world or really ancient stuff.

3 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
heydynamite says

thanks for the comments, guys! :-)

101 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
LoewenWeb says

I’m in college in a Digital Multimedia program, and from what I can tell its much more hands on than university.

We have teachers that are active as freelancers so they’re knowledge is up to date, lectures usually last 30m-1hr, and then we work rather than talk about working! I think that’s the way to go. I don’t doubt university has some advantages though.

32 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Canada
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+2 more
andrew8088 says

Great article, Naomi!

Wow, this really hits home for me. Thank you for this insightful post Naomi. I’m currently studying Computer Science at a university in the UK, and to be honest, it’s not going very well. The course is not exactly well “designed” – There’s an OOP module, a maths module, an Information Systems module and a “Managers and Organisations” module. The last two are utterly dull and completely detract from any enjoyment I could gain from the OOP module. They’re not just dull; I would definitely question their relevance to my course. Frankly, the IS module, is just re-iterating what I had to learn in secondary school.

I’m in a similar situation here in Canada! You’re so right about Information Systems; up until recently, I hardly learned anything. It’s kind of frustrating when they explain what an office suite is and does; I’ve been using that stuff for easily over 12 years!

3 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
heydynamite says
Great article, Naomi! ... I’m in a similar situation here in Canada! You’re so right about Information Systems; up until recently, I hardly learned anything. It’s kind of frustrating when they explain what an office suite is and does; I’ve been using that stuff for easily over 12 years!

Don’t get frustrated, Andrew! I hoped this article would show those who might be in a situation like yours how they can shift their expectation a bit to focus on the opportunity and not the short-coming. Use the course to get that easy ‘A’ which solidifies the GPA but also engage your professor. You may not like him or her but just talk to them – let them know who you are and what your goals and interests are. As you begin to engage with him or her, not only will you be able to tap that professor for a recommendation you can use in the future but you also might be looking at your first job or internship. You never know who they know!

I know it can be frustrating – I’ve been there. But look beyond the here and now and look for the opportunity and I promise you’ll come out with the win.

1 post
  • Exclusive Author
solaera says

Great post.

I’m currently a student at a tiny, tiny liberal arts college in Maryland where I was originally going to be a theater and english double major. Am down to the English major now but going full bore on web design as an external hobby and trying to start a business. It’s ended up a bit frustrating given that the computer science department here is pretty tiny and not very well-funded. It’s been a great exercise in self-motivation, though.

Thanks very much for this post; it inspired me to really look into what resources might be available instead of just assuming there aren’t any. I’m gonna see what sort of connections and opportunities I can get hold of through the minor before I go off to grad school (which will be at a big college, tyvm).

by
by
by
by
by
by