291 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

Hi Everyone!

As a tribute to the classical composers who often wrote their own musical variations on other composers’ themes, I thought it would be a fun idea to post a simple melody and see what everyone comes up with!

Here’s the gist:

• Download the melody. A short WAV file is provided (played on glockenspiel), along with a MIDI so you can quickly import it and get going. I grant full rights to use this melody (and/or audio/MIDI files) in a song of your own.
  • Change it up! Alter the key, tempo, rhythm, instrument, style, etc, and add your own instrumentation. I don’t care what you do to it, as long as it’s inspired by the original melody.
  • Host the file yourself somewhere and post a link to it here in this forum thread so we can all enjoy what you came up with!

OK, so it’s not really a competition, since there’s no official prize, but consider it more of a personal challenge. And of course, the community wins! Who knows, if enough people participate (I know I will be), maybe it’ll become a collection!

Here’s some extra inspiration to get you started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im_tJLeo2qU

Happy composing!

168 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Skanoir says

nice idea! i’ll se what i can do! :)

2666 posts
    Member of the Envato Team Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

This is a great idea, SchwartzSound, thanks for putting some good thought into this! Unfortunately however, we cannot allow authors to take this audio file and use it as the basis of a submission to AudioJungle. We don’t want lots of songs in the library all based on the same melody even though they might be different styles and genres involved. Furthermore, you are not allowed to create contests that impact submissions to any of our marketplaces, permission should always be sought first via support.

If you guys want to do this just for fun and host your own files and post a link to them here in the forums, that’s totally fine as far as an unofficial contest goes, but unofficial contests are NOT allowed to authorize/interfere with submissions to AudioJungle. Thanks so much for understanding.

Please note I edited your post, SchwartzSound and removed the part where it said “upload it to AudioJungle”.

scoringaudiogeeks
scoringaudiogeeks Recent Posts Threads Started
591 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+5 more
scoringaudiogeeks says

Gotta merge that melody with dark hybrid track lol and challenge Martijn de Bont in too! ;)

291 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

Oops, sorry Scott! I double checked the forum rules ahead of posting this, and didn’t see anything that seemed to suggest this wasn’t permitted.

In that case, just for fun guys!

scoringaudiogeeks
scoringaudiogeeks Recent Posts Threads Started
591 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+5 more
scoringaudiogeeks says

Here is our fast 2h entry http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1184820/sag_forum_track.mp3 :D changed key to my fav E-minor and put tempo to 110bpm :D didn’t altered the melody line :P

291 posts
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

Nice ;) I never imagined it could be so epic!

291 posts
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

Well, here’s mine, put together a little spaghetti western version this morning. Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/schwartzsound/variation-on-a-theme-challenge
by
by
by
by
by
by