1730 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
Firsh says

I got this new menu rejected, I can understand why, but still thought I would ask the community.

I get the first 2 pharagraphs. The third I found weird I didn’t mean it to be sci-fi on any level.. The last, I noted what kind of license the floral background stock of the preview image has. That’s not the license of my file of course :)

There are several practical and aesthetic issues with this file. Firstly, this file is difficult to implement in a UI due to its image heavy nature and specific character. Items such as these usually work when the entire layour carries the same theme and the item itself is unbounded.

Secondly, it is generally advised to add more padding to an elements bottom in comparison to the top. This way the elements appears to be visually centered and graphical stress is relieved.

Thirdly, there’s a general inconsistency between styles. These plasma like effects on the side conflict with the simple stroke border and with the typography. Sci-fi elements are better complemented by thicker typography.

Lastly, please do not include any copyright text in the author to reviewer notes as this may conflict with our licensing.

Your reviewer was ArikB.

I’m tired of the ‘build everything with css to have 300bytes size and be super fast’ because the pool has been depleted and more and more similar stuff are coming up, why can’t we do an image based menu that has a gradient both vertically and horizontally? I’d go with the size of it (up to 50kb), and I have the tools (JS code and flash) to use it but that’s not releasable yet. I think whoever buys here could manage to implement it as I’ve written a help file with some ideas to follow. And I guess who likes to have all working out of the box buys on TF, I don’t know. What would you do if you were me? :) Thanks.

1128 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+3 more
WonderArt says

Nice work :) I am not expert in this field. that’s why I can’t give any suggestions.. but I like your work very much..There are many of our friends are well in this field they will help you….. best of luck… :P

+6 more
Firsh says
Nice work :) I am not expert in this field. that’s why I can’t give any suggestions.. but I like your work very much..There are many of our friends are well in this field they will help you….. best of luck… :P

Thanks :) I hope so because it’s an unusual approach and really not everyone is familiar how to work with this. People used to having one style for ALL menu items, but I wish to change that. Our clients like it, but there is one who didn’t so I can imagine that happening here too.

343 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
JackHowell says

This is my field.

The style is really nice, bright and colourful but the reviewer has absolutely nailed it on the head. It is not the file size you should worry about but the application of this file; this menu works fine for you, but what if the buyer only has a short menu? What if they build this into a site and the menu changes? There is no Javascript or code to manipulate a complex gradient like this to work with a dynamic menu.

Yes this would be fine with the same number of items but a buyer is going to want something they can do lots with, so, value for money and overall use.

If you like, try and build this into a static HTML document and see if you can get it to work with any number of items within a reasonable file size. 50kb may not be much on its own but this is just the menu… when you include headers, footers, javascript (for your menu), content such as video/photos etc you are racking up into the megs and no one wants to wait for the background of the site to load slower than the content itself. Every little KB saving counts.

You might also want to try putting together a whole ‘theme’ of items so include menu, header, background and bits a pieces – like a starter pack. This could give a buyer a great leg up on starting their own design as a menu by itself is not much to go on.

The reviewer also mentioned the padding of the text; you would probably benefit from a smaller font – maybe show a few different examples? Some web safe and some not as variety is the key.

Good luck; you have the skills!

+6 more
Firsh says
JackHowell says [...]

Yep I thought as it being a part of a complete layout, it just feels cut out from the environment it belongs.

Modifying the amount of menu items is not hard, if I want let’s say 6 menu items, I just have to resize a few layer masks that’s all. I could add some actions set up, from 4 to 16 for example, the buyer clicks on one and it automatically expands or compresses the design by resizing the vector masks. Is that a good idea? It’s not for when the menu items count change after it’s been saved for web, but…

Also including my setup for the automatized jQuery implementation could be a good idea too, but in that case the $2-$4 price tag is way too bad. So I’ll maybe try this on codecanyon and the focus will be on the code because that is stronger than this design.

The websafe font is a good idea. I based on people usually use cufón or the like for the menu items.

I think I’ll build a PSD template and use this in some way in that. The base blue menu uses the same design for all items except the first and last. I’ll possibly change it so a menu top and bottom only is different and all items share the same image. The blue has a horizontal gradient whereas all others have a vertical too. Or maybe change them to horizontal? Possibilities :))

by
by
by
by
by
by