Hi everyone, Justin here from the Product & Design Team with some great news about some upcoming changes to our homepage.
Helping buyers find what they’re looking for is an important part of our 2014 roadmap. As part of this work, we ran a series of A/B tests on the homepage back in February. One of these tests focused on guiding buyers towards search (an area of the site we’re heavily focused on), the other emphasized featured items (guiding new buyers towards great items that we know sell well).
Both tests were successful and have been incorporated an updated and simplified design that follows-on from our visual refresh from earlier in the year.
Here’s a screenshot (click for full-size version):
Working down the page from the top, here’s the highlights of what’s changed:
- the signed-in and signed-out versions of the page used to be quite different, but we’ve merged them together so that they’re mostly the same (we now make a few really subtle changes based on the visitor)
- the page has been re-structured into a set of full-width panels so we can more easily experiment with the design of each section, or re-order (where necessary) individual sections (the previous version made this nearly impossible without re-thinking the whole page)
- the first panel is really similar to what we ran in the experiment, including a big search box, links to some featured categories, a bit of color from each site’s branding and some other important links for browsing
- the full-width design allows us to show ten featured items at once instead of four, much like we did in the experiment
- the “items from authors you follow” is now full width — we completely hide this panel if there’s nothing to show (no more gray boxes wasting space) and we’ve added a link to pretty basic full archive of these items (both very popular requests from the community)
- the category list inside the new items was a bit of a mess, so we’ve shifted them into a drop-down list (another popular request from the community)
- the full-width design gives us room to show the free files from all eight sites, and to run three spots to feature new categories and other promotions (previously we only had one, and we only showed it to signed-in users)
These changes are live right now to 50% of all visitors across all eight Marketplaces. We’ll be keeping a close watch on key metrics for a few days. If there are no surprises, we expect it to be rolled out to 100% in less than a week.
There’s still a long list of ideas and feature requests around the homepage and plenty of work to do (especially new opportunities for exposure), but we think this is a really solid next step that we can build upon.
Looks awesome so far!
Very happy to see so many changes coming in quick succession! Thanks guys, keep it up!
i think the drop down menu in the new category list is too much poor according to the new design.
definitely an improvement. Not sure about the placement though: The “Just for you” and “Featured” items only rarely. Might be better for exploring the site to show the “New items” on top, right now I need to scroll down quiet a bit to see them.
Bit annoying consistent whitish section little. Bit darker gray seems better for featured and free sections. Anyway hope I get familiar soon
Tops search is awesome!
Looks great! I’m #1 fan of Just for you section! I had always problem with my followed authors because it was always full of images of PhotoDune and I was missing many new items of my favorite authors.
By the way, I agree with @Bebel… Maybe we should move up new items section and let them be seen even more.
Thank you for you hard work and for improving our marketplaces