243 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
FXNinja says

So the community requested “hiding” the categories that their new files are on, in a drop down? Please show me the links to where the community requested such a feature, I read the forums daily for the last 7 years and have not seen anyone mention such a request, or that there were enough requests to deem it a “a really popular community request.”

+1 … I also haven’t seen such a request ….. If it was a popular request, I must have seen it at least once by now …. I don’t blame that you guys are lying, but just thinking .. relatively… If that request was popular … this request to bring those buttons back is super duper popular, because you can find it everywhere from lot of people here ….. !!

4712 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

just thinking .. relatively… If that request was popular … this request to bring those buttons back is super duper popular, because you can find it everywhere from lot of people here ….. !!

Exactly! The drop down in Envato’s opinion was to “clean up” – which is form first, then function.. but when it comes to sales for authors, function is a priority. I’d rather have sales, than a tidy homepage with links to where my files are hidden in a drop down.

4712 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

What the community wants is a marketplace that looks better without sacrificing function. What you have done here with this visual refresh, is make it look cleaner and neater, and taken away function. When you take away visible links to categories, users do not see specific related types of files to what they might have in mind on screen. If they don’t see the word “PSD Themes” at a quick glance, they won’t know where they are, it will take them a few more clicks to find them ie you’re making it more difficult to find our files in categories.

For new starting authors, they usually focus on a particular category, and climb the ladder there, and then they work their way up from the category popular pages to the main popular pages. Our category link needs to always be visible under the new items section, if you hide category links, you are going to reduce the focus on going to categories, and increasing the focus of the main Popular pages.. and therefore you are making it more difficult and challenging to go from category popular pages to main popular pages.

We want a marketplace that not only looks better, but also works better. Do not sacrifice function for form, that is going backwards – we want to go forwards.

127 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
erwin_schro says

.. but when it comes to sales for authors, function is a priority. I’d rather have sales, than a tidy homepage with links to where my files are hidden in a drop down.

+1

I agree with you on this

247 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
BetaMotion says

...My sales and many others have slowed down dramatically since this update…

+1

127 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
erwin_schro says

For new starting authors, they usually focus on a particular category, and climb the ladder there, and then they work their way up from the category popular pages to the main popular pages. We want a marketplace that not only looks better, but also works better. Do not sacrifice function for form, that is going backwards – we want to go forwards.

Thanks digitalscience for all your voices…I support whatever you say for a better marketplace…and our sales. you’re voice is our voice I believe – a majority-still-climbing authors here.

247 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
BetaMotion says

For new starting authors, they usually focus on a particular category, and climb the ladder there, and then they work their way up from the category popular pages to the main popular pages. We want a marketplace that not only looks better, but also works better. Do not sacrifice function for form, that is going backwards – we want to go forwards.
Thanks digitalscience for all your voices…I support whatever you say for a better marketplace…and our sales. you’re voice is our voice I believe – a majority-still-climbing authors here.

+1

1695 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
Bedros says

Absolutely yes ! .... please at least bring those category buttons back !
We’ll take mother look at that section. Hiding them behind a drop-down menu is/was a really popular community request, but I agree there’s more than one way we can clean that section up.

So the community requested “hiding” the categories that their new files are on, in a drop down? Please show me the links to where the community requested such a feature, I read the forums daily for the last 7 years and have not seen anyone mention such a request, or that there were enough requests to deem it a “a really popular community request.”

So please explain why the community would want to remove visible links to the pages where their new files are on, in a drop down? Why would the community want those pages accessible with a two click process instead of one click? Everyone knows drop down menus can be tricky on mobile devices, especially touch enabled devices, the drop down is also very narrow vertically making it even more difficult for touch.. There is no mouse hand over cursor when you roll over on the drop down, ie it doesn’t even look like an active button. The light grey colour of the drop down is very faded into the background, it looks deactivated. The drop down doesn’t even mention anything about categories, switching categories, or draw attention to what it’s for. It just says “All”

So please explain again why would the community want to make it more difficult to access new files on category pages? My sales and many others have slowed down dramatically since this update, because we rely on our new items in categories being discovered, but now those links are hidden in a cumbersome drop down menu that’s barely visible and doesn’t even look like something you can click on.

Golden rule of selling on Envato “If buyers can’t see the links to where your files are – you’re not going to get sales”

+1

1695 posts
+4 more
Bedros says

What the community wants is a marketplace that looks better without sacrificing function. What you have done here with this visual refresh, is make it look cleaner and neater, and taken away function. When you take away visible links to categories, users do not see specific related types of files to what they might have in mind on screen. If they don’t see the word “PSD Themes” at a quick glance, they won’t know where they are, it will take them a few more clicks to find them ie you’re making it more difficult to find our files in categories.

For new starting authors, they usually focus on a particular category, and climb the ladder there, and then they work their way up from the category popular pages to the main popular pages. Our category link needs to always be visible under the new items section, if you hide category links, you are going to reduce the focus on going to categories, and increasing the focus of the main Popular pages.. and therefore you are making it more difficult and challenging to go from category popular pages to main popular pages.

We want a marketplace that not only looks better, but also works better. Do not sacrifice function for form, that is going backwards – we want to go forwards.

+1 , Exactly.

1695 posts
+4 more
Bedros says

Remember once those Envato Marketplaces are all gathered in a dropdown?

Untitled-1

They’ve been changed into their current layout for a reason: They are MORE VISIBLE now without a dropdown, because it takes less action. Users easily see them without the need of opening a dropdown.
Two or even more Clicks = BAD for exposure
One Click = GOOD for exposure

You (WE) can’t take the risk of users (especially new ones) to get lost on their way, by hiding the most precious “info” (categories) from them. Finding their way through a category shouldn’t be related to a factor like “luck”, they should see those categories at first sight.

Please follow the same route with the categories, and make them visible once they were before ; on both top of the home page and above the new items section.

And “new items” section should be absolutely closer to the top, and be different from the rest of the sections. The “old” layout was far more User Friendly when it comes to “function” and “visibility”.

by
by
by
by
by
by