45 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
abmathasuriya says

Yes, bro. you are right. New item section look like on footer. I think new item section have on top region. And there is no need to give a such large search text box.

67 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
jota_themes says

Its a bit alarming elite authors with 50% drop in sales..could someone report a big increase in sales? I guess someone has to have it..

Otherwise there is something very strange going on if Envato reports normal sales (I don’t believe they would roll this out like mentioned before without good income on their side)

If sales are dropping in some places the remaining has to be going somewhere

148 posts World Director
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
dedalx says

Its a bit alarming elite authors with 50% drop in sales..could someone report a big increase in sales? I guess someone has to have it..

Otherwise there is something very strange going on if Envato reports normal sales (I don’t believe they would roll this out like mentioned before without good income on their side)

Unfortunately only few elite authors read forums and especialy this topic. They have a lot of other work and don’t have time for forums.

139 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
AliA says

NEW items are more important should be on top :), “Featured” and “Just for you” can be next to each other having paging dots like in “Just for you”

629 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

Didn’t read the whole thread but I think Envato wouldn’t roll out any changes that would effect a large number of people that much.

As far as I understand it, for the last week 50% of the visitors were already using the new homepage. For me nothing has really changed. This week started a little slower than the last one which in turn was better than the one before that. But all of that within usual fluctuation margins.

I also checked the combined sales numbers of the popular item lists and there wasn’t a noticeable change either.

So everyone who is being afraid that either elite authors are going broke or elite authors receiving a big unfair traffic boost: neither seems to be true.

And as Justin already noted there is also no noticeable change in items clicked on the front page as well.

Guess there could be a shift in long-tail sale distribution with the search being put into focus, but I think its too early for any of us to tell how this will turn out. My suggestion: relax and get back to work ;D

As a side note to the whole front page exposure debate that always comes up when anything is changed: I think what envato is trying to do is actually quite smart. With the marketplaces constantly growing and new authors joining every day the items on the front page will rotate so fast that it won’t make any sense to keep the section. Thats already the case for photodune and it will probably become reality for themeforest in the near future as well. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the new item section vanishes within the next few years.

Taking a look at other big marketplaces like the Apple app store or iStockphoto shows that none of them has something like this, probably because of the same reasons why its causing so many discussions here: its no viable model for a marketplace with thousands of authors and millions of customers.

Teaching customers how to use the search, learning in turn how they search and improving the search based on these criteria seems to be a good solution if you ask me…

4669 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

The hiding of visible category links to new items on the home page reduces exposure to new items, especially those who target specific categories and not just WordPress. One click is better than two click, visible is better than hidden – and Envato should know this, they figured that out already with the site switcher. So let’s not argue that it’s better the way it is now, because that is not true or logical. Home page exposure helps push you onto popular category pages, and those pages help push you to main popular page.. without proper home page exposure, then that increases the difficulty level, unless you get outside exposure – but the point is, Envato should give equal chances for initial exposure – that’s good for a sustainable marketplace.

104 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Venezuela
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
Miguel_Vasquez says

Good job guys

629 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

The hiding of visible category links to new items on the home page reduces exposure to new items, especially those who target specific categories and not just WordPress. One click is better than two click, visible is better than hidden – and Envato should know this, they figured that out already with the site switcher. So let’s not argue that it’s better the way it is now, because that is not true or logical. Home page exposure helps push you onto popular category pages, and those pages help push you to main popular page.. without proper home page exposure, then that increases the difficulty level, unless you get outside exposure – but the point is, Envato should give equal chances for initial exposure – that’s good for a sustainable marketplace.

I wasn’t actually talking about that because I consider it a waste of time to have an argument about a dropdown menu for 10 pages, especially when Justin already mentioned that a.) it will be monitored by envato and b.) it does not seem to have any impact whatsoever. (yes 1 click is better than 2, I totally agree. but sometimes no one cares and everyone does the 2 clicks as well ;D )

I was simply trying to show people that some of the initial doomsday prophecies that came up in this thread are nonsense and that they should wait for envato to post some more data ;)

275 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
JoeMC says
With the marketplaces constantly growing and new authors joining every day the items on the front page will rotate so fast that it won’t make any sense to keep the section. Thats already the case for photodune and it will probably become reality for themeforest in the near future as well. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the new item section vanishes within the next few years.

I really hope the new item section does not go away. Yes, new items come and go quite quickly, but with the extra category links within the new items section a product can at least get a few days of exposure, which is huge for the average author.

For authors who have already “hit it big” and have landed on the popular files pages for an extended period of time, I’m sure this change doesn’t seem like a bit deal at all… you’re already getting an exponential amount of visibility of your files over the average author. And getting that exposure helps keep you on the popular files page. But, for the rest of us, the new item section is really our only chance to break into the popular files page, as that’s the only “main page” exposure of our files… Once a file leaves that section (and doesn’t gain enough sales to make the popular files page), there is a noticeable drop in sales and that file is basically lost amongst millions of other files.

If we all need to start relying simply on search results a large number of us will see a huge drop in sales. Even the hiding of the New Item categories into a drop down has already created a drop in sales as they are not as readily available or visible to customers… which costs us the extra few days of exposure & sales those categories had been gaining for us.

I do realize there are other means to advertise a product and gain sales, but homepage exposure is very important to most authors.

67 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
jota_themes says

Regarding those marketplaces the search is usually spot on and definetely something where envato should focus on no doubt.

And yes, not really much more we can do other than see how it develops. Right now it might be that there are just too many factors at play at the same time with homepage, price changes and of course the fact that its the beginning of August and here in Austria and all across Europe a lot of people off in vacations.

A good month to work on some items quietly and see how it goes

by
by
by
by
by
by