631 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

With the marketplaces constantly growing and new authors joining every day the items on the front page will rotate so fast that it won’t make any sense to keep the section. Thats already the case for photodune and it will probably become reality for themeforest in the near future as well. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the new item section vanishes within the next few years.

I really hope the new item section does not go away. Yes, new items come and go quite quickly, but with the extra category links within the new items section a product can at least get a few days of exposure, which is huge for the average author.

For authors who have already “hit it big” and have landed on the popular files pages for an extended period of time, I’m sure this change doesn’t seem like a bit deal at all… you’re already getting an exponential amount of visibility of your files over the average author. And getting that exposure helps keep you on the popular files page. But, for the rest of us, the new item section is really our only chance to break into the popular files page, as that’s the only “main page” exposure of our files… Once a file leaves that section (and doesn’t gain enough sales to make the popular files page), there is a noticeable drop in sales and that file is basically lost amongst millions of other files.

Don’t get me wrong. I like the homepage exposure. None of our items will sell forever and who is to say that I or another top author can come up with a hit next time. So we might benefit from that exposure as well. But I prepare for the worst instead of hoping for the best. At this point the “new items section” still has value. Thats good. I just don’t think that it will have value in a few years to come if the marketplace keeps growing. You can mark that under Kriesi’s Doomsday Prophecy for the “New Item” section :D

Even the hiding of the New Item categories into a drop down has already created a drop in sales as they are not as readily available or visible to customers… which costs us the extra few days of exposure & sales those categories had been gaining for us.

According to Justin Envato does not think thats true:

One of the biggest areas of concern raised here is that we’ve hidden the new item category links behind a drop-down box (as well as pushing that entire section further down the page). Overall, we’ve seen no change in the number of “new items” being clicked on from the home page.

I guess they will let us know once they have more metrics if it is true or not ;)

4 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Europe
Twiner says

Great work ;)

4707 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

I was simply trying to show people that some of the initial doomsday prophecies that came up in this thread are nonsense and that they should wait for envato to post some more data ;)

Well that’s not confirmed yet, and Envato doesn’t need to tell us how it affects sales, because authors who are affected will definitely be saying something about it – it’s just a bit early, but we’ll all be seeing how the popular page was affected by the end of the week, so lets see what happens!

3765 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

I wasn’t actually talking about that because I consider it a waste of time to have an argument about a dropdown menu for 10 pages.

The funny thing is that’s not even much of an exaggeration. :D

4707 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

I wasn’t actually talking about that because I consider it a waste of time to have an argument about a dropdown menu for 10 pages.

Well that’s because for some of us it’s important since it’s our exposure, you would know – it’s all about exposure. Would you prefer your links visible or hidden? And you would also know drop downs are outdated – since touch screens. Users only have time for one click links in this day and age. All links should be easily seen and accessible. All we want really is a more competitive platform – it’s ethical and a good thing for the marketplace.

535 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

New items section now work like site footer – nobody will use it.

We didn’t see any significant change in the number of clicks through to “new items” so far.

535 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

Question is: Did the sales drop is account specific (just leveling to other authors) or is at marketplace level?

Overall conversions (visitors to purchases) did not drop. If they dropped even a little we would not have rolled out these changes to 100% :)

4707 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

@justinfrench, can we at least have a “hand cursor” mouse over state on the drop down to make it look more like a button you can click on – I think that’s reasonable to ask?

535 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

@justinfrench, can we at least have a “hand cursor” mouse over state on the drop down to make it look more like a button you can click on – I think that’s reasonable to ask?

We can likely do more than that, but that’s a great, easy start :)

6072 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

New items section now work like site footer – nobody will use it.
We didn’t see any significant change in the number of clicks through to “new items” so far.

@justinfrench, thanks for the clarification. Another clarification will give relief for many authors and even break some unnecessary myths about homepage exposure. For any new item, the initial sales should happen in following few ways:
1. Homepage exposure
2. All items – Page listing
3. Sub category – Page listing

Can we get which of the above one causes much clicks through and sales conversion?

by
by
by
by
by
by