1034 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
mudi says

What about adding random old items in order to keep them alive?

6083 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

What about adding random old items in order to keep them alive?

Randomized exposures may gain clicks through but will not convert into sales. Sales happen through relevance. That’s why many authors here expect category buttons on homepage.

535 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

@justinfrench, can we at least have a “hand cursor” mouse over state on the drop down to make it look more like a button you can click on – I think that’s reasonable to ask?

Done and merged, should be deployed in a few minutes :)

1695 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
Bedros says

@justinfrench, can we at least have a “hand cursor” mouse over state on the drop down to make it look more like a button you can click on – I think that’s reasonable to ask?

Category buttons is a must. One for the top of the screen, and one just above the “new items” section just like the old version. This is common sense, and IMHO really hard to understand that what really prevents you from applying it ; sorry if this sounds too naive.

And as many have already said, “new Items” section needs too much scrolling to the bottom with the current structure. Unfortunately you have wasted too much valuable space with the full width search, full width featured items and “followed” items which could be done better. The most important part should be “new items” section (I am not underestimating the importance of the search) ; but now it seems “featured items” section and “followed” items are in much weight, being closer to the “above the fold” part. The old version was also using this approach but with far better “space management”.

1 post
  • Located in Bangladesh
mdnazrul014 says

Might be better for exploring the site to show the “New items” on top, right now I need to scroll down quiet a bit to see them.

163 posts World Director
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
dedalx says

Its a bit alarming elite authors with 50% drop in sales..could someone report a big increase in sales? I guess someone has to have it..

Otherwise there is something very strange going on if Envato reports normal sales (I don’t believe they would roll this out like mentioned before without good income on their side)

If sales are dropping in some places the remaining has to be going somewhere

Didn’t read the whole thread but I think Envato wouldn’t roll out any changes that would effect a large number of people that much.

As far as I understand it, for the last week 50% of the visitors were already using the new homepage. For me nothing has really changed. This week started a little slower than the last one which in turn was better than the one before that. But all of that within usual fluctuation margins.

I also checked the combined sales numbers of the popular item lists and there wasn’t a noticeable change either.

So everyone who is being afraid that either elite authors are going broke or elite authors receiving a big unfair traffic boost: neither seems to be true.

And as Justin already noted there is also no noticeable change in items clicked on the front page as well.

Guess there could be a shift in long-tail sale distribution with the search being put into focus, but I think its too early for any of us to tell how this will turn out. My suggestion: relax and get back to work ;D

As a side note to the whole front page exposure debate that always comes up when anything is changed: I think what envato is trying to do is actually quite smart. With the marketplaces constantly growing and new authors joining every day the items on the front page will rotate so fast that it won’t make any sense to keep the section. Thats already the case for photodune and it will probably become reality for themeforest in the near future as well. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the new item section vanishes within the next few years.

Taking a look at other big marketplaces like the Apple app store or iStockphoto shows that none of them has something like this, probably because of the same reasons why its causing so many discussions here: its no viable model for a marketplace with thousands of authors and millions of customers.

Teaching customers how to use the search, learning in turn how they search and improving the search based on these criteria seems to be a good solution if you ask me…

As I said before sales will not decrease for TOP authors like you who have at least 1 item in TOP sales in main categories. You have traffic for all your items from your TOP item. Most of all your traffic and sales does not depend on homepage design since you power elite author. For low and medium elite authors or not elite authors new homepage will decrease sales because this is only way to get traffic for items that can’t be finded from top lists. When we release new theme we got traffic for all our items from Homepage -> New theme -> Links to our other themes. This is only way to get good sales for old items. Now this way does not work, people does not see New items and can’t sort it by category with 1 click. Now we can get new sales for old items only from search, but it does not work well to find our items (search will show only top items like yours, of course you will not loose sales).

163 posts World Director
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
dedalx says

Question is: Did the sales drop is account specific (just leveling to other authors) or is at marketplace level?
Overall conversions (visitors to purchases) did not drop. If they dropped even a little we would not have rolled out these changes to 100% :)

Of course it not drop in “overall”. Now people who previously buy not power elite authors items will buy only top items, instead of regular items from regular authors. Market sales now moved from regular authors to power elite authors who have very popular items with a lot of sales.

70 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
jota_themes says

Question is: Did the sales drop is account specific (just leveling to other authors) or is at marketplace level?
Overall conversions (visitors to purchases) did not drop. If they dropped even a little we would not have rolled out these changes to 100% :)
Of course it not drop in “overall”. Now people who previously buy not power elite authors items will buy only top items, instead of regular items from regular authors. Market sales now moved from regular authors to power elite authors who have very popular items with a lot of sales.

Yeah I guess this is the case now. The flow is basically

1 – Type in search 2 – Get a list ordered by sales (old items first because they actually have more sales) 3 – If you have patience look for something in and endless list of files where only 1 is displayed per line

When you compare to other marketplaces like istockphoto where you get right away the categories in the homepage together with the search and can actually look at 100 files pretty quickly in each page finding something specific in here is a pain

247 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
BetaMotion says

+1

It’s clear that The New Page is for the benefit of the big authors and for getting rid of the ants. Just 2 sales since the new page get online…

:sunglasses2:

4716 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

Good to hear :) I’ve changed my avatar until then.

by
by
by
by
by
by