70 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
jota_themes says

Question is: Did the sales drop is account specific (just leveling to other authors) or is at marketplace level?
Overall conversions (visitors to purchases) did not drop. If they dropped even a little we would not have rolled out these changes to 100% :)
Of course it not drop in “overall”. Now people who previously buy not power elite authors items will buy only top items, instead of regular items from regular authors. Market sales now moved from regular authors to power elite authors who have very popular items with a lot of sales.

+1

It’s clear that The New Page is for the benefit of the big authors and for getting rid of the ants. Just 2 sales since the new page get online…

:sunglasses2:

This could be true..But it does not work this way, if buyers get listed the same themes over and over again this is not going to work out good. Even the elite guys have new files to share..and in the beginning they all start with zero sales

4726 posts Interactive Design
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

This could be true..But it does not work this way, if buyers get listed the same themes over and over again this is not going to work out good. Even the elite guys have new files to share..and in the beginning they all start with zero sales

For Elites, and speaking from experience when ActiveDen was busy – home page exposure becomes less important if you already have items on the popular page, or items with high sales which will come up higher in search results, because those items will advertise your new items and boost their exposure.

Home page exposure is really important though to new authors and non-elites who wish to climb the ladder. I consider my team and I as a new author to ThemeForest at about 700th position and 3200th position on GraphicRiver – so home page exposure is as important to me as for any new author / non-elite since ActiveDen is dead and provides very minimal additional exposure to my new items. However when I upload items on GraphicRiver, those can boost my sales on ThemeForest PSD category, so home page exposure is very important to new authors / non-elite.. and not incredibly important to Elite authors.

701 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

Love the new hompage. Looks so modern now and reflects the quality items in the marketplace ^^

Not worried about discoverability. If people want something they will find you. The massive search box is just spot on ;)

Congrats on a job well done to the team involved in these changes

244 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
FXNinja says

For Elites, and speaking from experience when ActiveDen was busy – home page exposure becomes less important if you already have items on the popular page, or items with high sales which will come up higher in search results, because those items will advertise your new items and boost their exposure. Home page exposure is really important though to new authors and non-elites who wish to climb the ladder. I consider my team and I as a new author to ThemeForest at about 700th position and 3200th position on GraphicRiver – so home page exposure is as important to me as for any new author / non-elite since ActiveDen is dead and provides very minimal additional exposure to my new items. However when I upload items on GraphicRiver, those can boost my sales on ThemeForest PSD category, so home page exposure is very important to new authors / non-elite.. and not incredibly important to Elite authors.

+1 …, I think this point has been clearly described nearly every way possible now ….. Please bring those category buttons back !!

Another clarification will give relief for many authors and even break some unnecessary myths about homepage exposure.

Hey VF !! .... Thanks for your thoughts, but it’s not a “myth” my friend ! ... I have been experiencing a clear connection for the last 35 projects or so … When its on the front page, I gain more traffic and more sales, even if the new project is not doing that well … I don’t know maybe it’s just me … But I really believe there are lot of people who has the same experience !

+8 more
digitalscience says

@justinfrench, can we at least have a “hand cursor” mouse over state on the drop down to make it look more like a button you can click on – I think that’s reasonable to ask?
Done and merged, should be deployed in a few minutes :)
Good to hear :) I’ve changed my avatar until then.

Hand cursor is now live – thanks Justin!

+8 more
digitalscience says

Another clarification will give relief for many authors and even break some unnecessary myths about homepage exposure.

To be fair VF, you had a different strategy for selling on Envato – you always kept your portfolio small but extremely high quality, so most of your items did incredibly well and had high sales.. so you weren’t that dependant on home page exposure because most of your items were on popular pages, and had good search rankings which helped promote your new items. You were also an early adopter and joined in 2008, and I’m sure you remember home page exposure was much longer back then, sometimes a few weeks. So you never really experienced how less exposure on the home page impacts sales in my opinion

6086 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Hey VF !! .... Thanks for your thoughts, but it’s not a “myth” my friend ! ... I have been experiencing a clear connection for the last 35 projects or so … When its on the front page, I gain more traffic and more sales, even if the new project is not doing that well … I don’t know maybe it’s just me … But I really believe there are lot of people who has the same experience !

You should read the entire comment ;)

According to justin’s reply, the removal of category buttons doesn’t cause significant click through reduction. This means buyers reach the new items consistently through “All items” page or Sub category listing pages. That’s why I asked which of the 3 channels contribute major exposure for new items.

@digitalscience: No, I don’t differ from the opinion that initial sales / exposure is very important (for now until search filter gives exposure for new items). But my previous comment was related to knowing which page contributes major sales number for new items: 1. Home page, 2. All items, 3. Category menu on top bar

PS: We can’t ignore staff’s info. We believe their inputs, isn’t it? ;)

20 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
JoinWebs says

Looks awesome , Clean and Fresh Look.

1705 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
Bedros says

To be fair VF, you had a different strategy for selling on Envato – you always kept your portfolio small but extremely high quality, so most of your items did incredibly well and had high sales.. so you weren’t that dependant on home page exposure because most of your items were on popular pages, and had good search rankings which helped promote your new items. You were also an early adopter and joined in 2008, and I’m sure you remember home page exposure was much longer back then, sometimes a few weeks. So you never really experienced how less exposure on the home page impacts sales in my opinion

+1

+8 more
digitalscience says

But my previous comment was related to knowing which page contributes major sales number for new items: 1. Home page, 2. All items, 3. Category menu on top bar

Ok I see what you mean… personally I think the home page is the most important, not necessarily the “All New Items” because that can move fast, sometimes a day or two but under one of the category sections, for example on the Marketing category section you can be on the home page for about two weeks. And considering the home page is the most viewed page on the site, this means your item is visible for two weeks on the home page with only one click… but now it’s become two clicks and the visible category link removed which decreases the chances of that category being clicked.. there is no myth to how important home page exposure is, two weeks on the home page with only one click is very good for exposure.

by
by
by
by
by
by