And to sum up the changes:
Basically none of these things were requested by the community – and none of these really help the average author, unless you’re featured, given a file away for free or you’re on the popular pages.. good work
- A giant search bar right underneath a smaller search bar
- More focus and increased exposure to Featured Files
- More focus and increased exposure to Free Files
- A secondary Popular Items button is now visible on home
- Removal of visible links to categories (replaced with drop down)
- Overall navigation lighter / duller and less noticable
+1 to this. This is exactly what I see as well.
I don’t like the new design, all the focus is on the featured items and you need to scroll down to see new items, The new items should be on top of the page.. no question about it, This is the best way for new authors to expose their items.
i don’t think that it is ok. its very confusing. confuse our costumer.
It’s great that you’re working on trying to modernise the site’s design, but I really wish there was a bit more involvement from the community in these things, especially considering the amount of amazing talent around that you have (free) access to.
A simple show-and-tell thread like this one, but before implementing/publishing such big changes would make Envato look like a progressive and modern company, and would inevitably lead to bigger profits down the line. As you wouldn’t have to listen to everything, but surely some points being raised in the sea of posts here are accurate and had they been presented during the design phase, the final design might look different/better to what it does now.
Apart from a lot of good points/constructive criticism raised already, I think it’s also worth mentioning that the hierarchy of the new design is weak and should definitely be revisited in my opinion. I have a feeling the reviewers would have rejected it for that had it been a theme submission.
I don’t know what to say… Only this:
Creattive saidman I really appreciate your work and like your style, as i said there is no doubt that you and other elite authors really deserve whatever you have achieved so far and I wish to see you climbing that ladder more and more! also I am not one of those new authors who wants to find excuses, because this is not my full time job so i don’t really care about exposure or so, at least for now! ... what i said was not about new authors vs elite authors … I criticized the way envato treats new authors and elite authors!
I can only say: I get nothing for free.
I came online to see a lot of changes in the homepage, now the new items are pushed down and replaced by a longer list of featured files … at the exact same time i see envato is excited to say there are a lot of rewards for the 1000 elite authors! ... when a new average author puts these two changes together, instead of feeling motivated by the exciting rewards, he will feel disappointed to see one of the most important tools he had for reaching close to those rewards which is homepage exposure now is mostly destroyed.
i would love to see envato helping new authors climb that ladder instead of showing how high and far is the top of the ladder!
that’s it mate, nothing about elite authors or why they are so good in their work!
1. Pushing the new items further down into the abyss hurts the authors you seem to care the least about Envato….you know, the ones that aren’t selling 500+ per month! Well guess what? They never will as long as you continue things like this.
2. Being the “Featured Author” was already a 2nd place finish as it was, now you’ve made it that much worse! Seriously? That author should be front and center, but let’s be honest here. You’re not “really” trying to promote that author. That’s why the focus is on the Featured Items instead of the artist. Why? Immediate sales versus helping the author build a brand.
3. I find it hilarious that the gigantic search is JUST BELOW the normal search field. Redundant much? So let’s just promote our search engine! Which by the way seems unable to disseminate much more than the title anyway…..hence the file naming practices of our members. (myself included)
Maybe, just maybe the next time you make changes like this, you’ll consult with the people that provide the fuel for the machine you run.
Forgive my rant….actually don’t! I try not to be a complainer around here but this is ridiculous.