808 posts We're a nice team!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
ThemeFocus says

@kdubdent and staff, can we get at least get a notice in the statement as to what account the reversal came from? Once a customer pulls something like this, I consider our support “contract” terminated, naturally, so I want to be able to remove those customers’ access to support, etc.

Once a customer has processed a reversal, the item in question is removed from their Downloads page, and their license key is voided.

Unfortunately we can’t let you know up front which user the reversal came from, but if they send you an email through the contact form on their profile, the “check if this user is a customer of yours” link will show that they’re not anymore.

Hi, a question with your said. For example: The user had register our support forum with before Purchase Code. Then he reversal and we don’t know which purchase code of the user so that he also can ask question use our theme.

I think the question also for many authors.

Thanks.

1373 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
dekurvajo says

Pandora’s box now is open…

3047 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Just re-verify all support system purchase codes from time to time. Anyone who registers in my email support system with an item purchase code gets their code saved in my system. This code gets re-verified from time to time (eg: when they send me a new email). A history of their purchases is shown and it will show if an item purchase code is no longer valid.

This support-after-reversal problem has been around long before this recent change… everyone should implement this check in their custom support systems, as authors could request a refund and then continue to receive support / product updates / freebies.

It’s just another simple call to the verify-purchase API. The only complicated part is making sure you don’t call this API too many times, otherwise you will be banned from the API. Only re-verify a purchase code max once a day when the user is active (eg: sends an email, posts a forum thread) to avoid getting banned by the API.

3434 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

@kdubdent and staff, can we get at least get a notice in the statement as to what account the reversal came from? Once a customer pulls something like this, I consider our support “contract” terminated, naturally, so I want to be able to remove those customers’ access to support, etc.

Once a customer has processed a reversal, the item in question is removed from their Downloads page, and their license key is voided.

Unfortunately we can’t let you know up front which user the reversal came from, but if they send you an email through the contact form on their profile, the “check if this user is a customer of yours” link will show that they’re not anymore.

The problem, as activetofocus pointed out, is that many of us use external support forums, and once they have access we won’t know to revoke it.

@dtbaker, thanks for the suggestion, that’s a good solution. However, like you said, you can run into limits.

And yes, the issue has been around for a while – good point. But now that there is a system processing and documenting these transactions, it should be easy enough for us to be notified/alerted to deactivated purchase codes. Since we can effectively determine which users reversed payment anyway by reprocessing, why not just make it easy on us and save some API bandwidth in the meantime?

I’m not overly concerned about refunds. Sometimes a user feels entitled to a refund, and if Envato agrees, I have no problem with that. In fact, I wish that, as an author, I had the authority to provide refunds. Sometimes that’s what’ll make the customer happiest – even when there is nothing wrong with the product – so it’s just good business practice to provide them at times.

Reversals, on the other hand, demonstrate a disrespect for the system and suggests that the customer is unreasonable and dealing in bad faith. I want to be aware of customers like this as I have no interest in doing business with them in the future.

And again, just want to drive home that I’m making a clear distinction between refunds (approved by Envato) and reversals through PayPal. I have no issue with customers who request a refund for through the proper channels; generally they have simply misunderstood something – stuff happens.

52 posts Envato Studio Liaison
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+4 more
blimpage Envato team says

dtbaker is right – if you’re using an external support forum, re-checking the purchase code using the API will be the only way to know if a customer still owns a license for the item.

If you’re only checking once every day or two, you shouldn’t have any problems with being banned from using the API. Also only checking active users is a good idea, if your system is able to do this.

3434 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

dtbaker is right – if you’re using an external support forum, re-checking the purchase code using the API will be the only way to know if a customer still owns a license for the item. If you’re only checking once every day or two, you shouldn’t have any problems with being banned from using the API. Also only checking active users is a good idea, if your system is able to do this.

Got it, will do. Thanks for the response, and again to Dave for the solution :)

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
tanjilovibuet08 says

I’ve got a sale reversal. Now what to do ? Please someone reply. Envato staff should make things clear about this and should contact the author.

52 posts Envato Studio Liaison
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
blimpage Envato team says

I’ve got a sale reversal. Now what to do ? Please someone reply. Envato staff should make things clear about this and should contact the author.

We can’t really discuss personal financial details in the forums, but if you submit a support ticket at http://support.envato.com/, we’ll do what we can to help!

1373 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
dekurvajo says

I’ve got a sale reversal. Now what to do ?
Prepare for the others…
45 posts Customer Experience Manager
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
kdubdent Envato team says

Hi all,

I think we’ve covered the questions raised here so I’m going to lock this one. As always, your discussion and feedback is appreciated.

If you have any queries related to a reversal on your statement please contact the support team.

thanks again :)

by
by
by
by
by
by