• Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Last week we announced our newly published and recently updated WordPress theme submission requirements, which raised lots of valuable discussion over in the forum post. The insight everyone provided was valuable and greatly appreciated. It also reminded us that we need to be including more community input, from a wider group, from much earlier stages! Where you provided feedback and it was not taken on board, we also really apologise and hope the clarifications below address your concerns better this time.

The process also made it obvious that we hadn’t been communicating clearly enough at the launch of these submission requirements, which we’ll provide further clarification on here. We will continue working harder at improving our communications, especially from within the Review team and covering all other aspects of review.

[... Continue reading on Envato Notes ...]

279 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
PrimaThemes says

Thanks for the update and make it clearer for us…

108 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
designedbydash says

Just so I understand clearly, the first phase only affects the “simple” standards changes (i.e. media queries at bottom of CSS, validation, using correct WP standards) and issues such as moving shortcodes/post types to plugins is phase two?

It wasn’t overly cleary in the post, so just wanted to confirm. I assume I read it right, as there was no real clarification on things like page builders which would’ve been required if it was a set-in-stone requirement in phase one.

983 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

So we will be now selling simple themes with bunch of plugins? I guess it might not be a problem for themes from “blog” category, but what about this very niche themes, like for hotels with booking systems, restaurant themes, directory themes etc. I’m pretty sure it will cause more problems than you’re expecting. Imagine you have “directory” theme with full maps support etc, all functionality has to be provided by a plugins, someone buys it, changes the theme, and it works but doesn’t look good for obvious reasons. Who’s now to blame? Author of a original theme/plugin hybrid or author of new theme? It looks for me like we will be changing to ThemeCanyon.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
Japh Staff says

Just so I understand clearly, the first phase only affects the “simple” standards changes (i.e. media queries at bottom of CSS, validation, using correct WP standards) and issues such as moving shortcodes/post types to plugins is phase two? It wasn’t overly cleary in the post, so just wanted to confirm. I assume I read it right, as there was no real clarification on things like page builders which would’ve been required if it was a set-in-stone requirement in phase one.

That’s correct. There’s actually clarification if you click through to the requirements themselves, where there is separation between Phase 1 and Phase 2 (where page builders are mentioned).

420 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
Jaynesh says

One thing that still isn’t explained to me clearly is the use of Options plugins. Many authors including myself use plugins to add custom options. e.g OptionTree

How would this be handled for themes using OptionTree?

Can I get an official response on this ASAP so I know what path to take with my theme.

Thanks

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

One thing that still isn’t explained to me clearly is the use of Options plugins. Many authors including myself use plugins to add custom options. e.g OptionTree

How would this be handled for themes using OptionTree?

Can I get an official response on this ASAP so I know what path to take with my theme.

Thanks

There is no problem with using an options framework such as OptionTree. It is even listed as allowable under Phase 2 in the requirements article.

983 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

BTW, what about OptionTree that has “theme mode”, does it have to be included via the TGM Plugin Activation class?

399 posts Keep Walking
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
UXbarn says

Thanks for the update. :)

Question: What if I use Visual Composer plugin for shortcodes (elements) and want to override some default shortcode outputs and styles with mine? Do I need to create an additional plugin just for that overriding stuff?

Let’s say I want to override the default Tabs shortcode that is, by default, using jQuery UI to use a structure and styles of Zurb Foundation instead. Where should the overriding code reside, in a plugin or theme?

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

So we will be now selling simple themes with bunch of plugins? I guess it might not be a problem for themes from “blog” category, but what about this very niche themes, like for hotels with booking systems, restaurant themes, directory themes etc. I’m pretty sure it will cause more problems than you’re expecting. Imagine you have “directory” theme with full maps support etc, all functionality has to be provided by a plugins, someone buys it, changes the theme, and it works but doesn’t look good for obvious reasons. Who’s now to blame? Author of a original theme/plugin hybrid or author of new theme? It looks for me like we will be changing to ThemeCanyon.

Not at all.

As an example, there is a real estate plugin in the WordPress.org directory: Some themes will be made to support this and it will work nicely, others will not. This is actually fairly common.

In your example, you could create a plugin that provides all the restaurant functionality for your restaurant theme. If you make a second restaurant theme, you’ll likely use the same plugin. If another theme is used with the plugin, it probably won’t work, as that theme wasn’t created to work with that plugin.

BTW, what about OptionTree that has “theme mode”, does it have to be included via the TGM Plugin Activation class?

See my reply to Jaynesh above.

by
by
by
by
by
by