3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

I’d love to know why you’d want to write custom code for this rather than using an existing, recommended, class?

Because he’s a geek and an incredibly awesome developer ;)

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Because i almost never rely on 3rd party code when i have to support the item myself. I’m not saying i will but i’d like to know if a simpler solution based on wp hooks similar to this one exist for plugin installation, will i be allowed to use it ?

As Sid mentions above, we’ll have to discuss this internally to come up with an answer.

You could always get familiar with TGMPA and contribute on GitHub if you wanted ;)

633 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
UBLThemes says

I’d love to know why you’d want to write custom code for this rather than using an existing, recommended, class?
Because i almost never rely on 3rd party code when i have to support the item myself. I’m not saying i will but i’d like to know if a simpler solution based on wp hooks similar to this one exist for plugin installation, will i be allowed to use it ?

If you find a simpler one could you share :)

2002 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

We don’t have a concrete answer for this. Can you show me some custom code that we could look at to evaluate options?
Not yet because i wasn’t sure you’d allow it. Theory behind is that, when dealing with theme updates, you don’t have to write a lot of custom code since you can simply hook to “pre_set_site_transient_update_themes” filter and provide WordPress an url to update the theme.

My guess is that the same should be possible with plugin install/update as well: use one or more hooks to inject the plugin url/meta so everything would work like if the plugin was hosted on wp.org
200 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+4 more
themeva says

2) I’m already using TGM, however it does throw up a huge amount of RECOMMENDED errors, will these be ignored. 3) I have a number of other plugins too which are throwing up these kind of errors, they’re using phpFlickr and Twitter API’s ( file_get_contents, curl etc ), the Theme Check plugin just reads the entire directory, which will include these plugins – do we have to move all plugins to an external location now? This isn’t possible with Visual Composer and say Revolution Slider extended licenses?
Sid has already answered most of your questions, but I’d also like to draw your attention to the ThemeForest-Check plugin mentioned earlier in this thread. That will stop most of these errors from showing.
That’s great, thank you – it looks much healthier now.

The only thing left is the plugins I’ve bundled with the Theme, Visual Composer throws up a few and then others using phpFlickr and Twitter API, I think I’ve read somewhere about an alternative to using Curl for Twitter, I’ll look into that for both.

If by the time I submit a new Theme and the Visual Composer plugin still has these RECOMMENDED issues, will it still get through?

8 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
m_i_n says

Hi,

I coopearate with one TF elite author, i’m responsible for coding from PSD to template and to WP theme. After a couple of years and almost 10 000 sales / 5 000 comments (and i don’t know how many mails) we’ve never had any single question like this: “Hey, i change theme to another, where are my shortcodes?”.

So, why envato forces solution mentioned in phase two when actual solution is fine to buyers? Why you don’t let buyers choose beetwen all-in-one themes and modular themes? I think competition is better than forcing “one better” solution.

There is no rational reason to separate shortcodes/cpt from theme which would justify magnitude of work which we (authors) must do to achieve this result. If buyer changes theme, he do this because they don’t want old design – so they also don’t want old looking site elements (tables, widgets, quotas, captions, boxes, etc…). But like I mentioned before, let them choose what they want.

For phase one most of the requirements are OK.

22 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemesIndep says
If buyer changes theme, he do this because they don’t want old design – so they also don’t want old looking site elements

100% Agree! If i change the theme, i also would like to change all the elements as well.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

If buyer changes theme, he do this because they don’t want old design – so they also don’t want old looking site elements (tables, widgets, quotas, captions, boxes, etc…).

I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion that this will result in “old looking site elements”? The theme will take care of the look and feel of these shortcodes generally, and plugins can also be updated. If the theme doesn’t support styling for the shortcodes, they should have generic styling built-in so they conform to the theme, in a similar fashion to how WooCommerce does.

633 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
UBLThemes says

If buyer changes theme, he do this because they don’t want old design – so they also don’t want old looking site elements (tables, widgets, quotas, captions, boxes, etc…).
I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion that this will result in “old looking site elements”? The theme will take care of the look and feel of these shortcodes generally, and plugins can also be updated. If the theme doesn’t support styling for the shortcodes, they should have generic styling built-in so they conform to the theme, in a similar fashion to how WooCommerce does.

To me, themeforest are basically not creating themes anymore…

They want us to create skins, with plugins.

For instance a theme has all logic and styling where as a skin has just styling.

Correct me if I am wrong?

For me this seems to be going away from WordPress standards, as WordPress state that all functions should be within the functions.php of the theme, yet we are now segregating them into a plugin.

Will prices go up?

I ask because this seems to be about 25% more work. and $35 – $45 is getting a little cheap when all this is being implemented.

1355 posts How's the surf doing?
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

Hey Japh,

To be honest, I’m on board with these changes, in the end they’re for the best, no-one likes change but we need to make sure we’re coding to the best standards possible.

I just have one question RE: the new policy on inline styles.

Let’s take this example: items in a loop which can have a background image (specifically) applied via post meta. Now to me the best way of doing this is to simply use an inline style on that element generated by the value of the post meta. I’ve read the mentions of wp_inline_style() but I’m not sure how this would apply to styles generated by post meta to be applied in the loop.

Basically I’m working on a theme where the user will have full control of the post background directly from the post meta for each separate post, colour or image, each post can be different including the colour, the image, and the image display.

Is it still ok to apply these post meta generated styles directly to the loop items, as this to me seems the best way of doing things :)

All the best

Tom

by
by
by
by
by
by