• Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
Jaynesh says

One thing that still isn’t explained to me clearly is the use of Options plugins. Many authors including myself use plugins to add custom options. e.g OptionTree

How would this be handled for themes using OptionTree?

Can I get an official response on this ASAP so I know what path to take with my theme.

Thanks
There is no problem with using an options framework such as OptionTree. It is even listed as allowable under Phase 2 in the requirements article.

Hello,

I don’t see this mentioned in the Notes or the official requirements. So can you confirm that Options plugins such as OptionTree and Advanced Custom Fields can be hard coded into the theme and not be included via TGM?

Thanks

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+4 more
bitfade says
Some questions about phase 2 and bespoke plugins:

• most authors already have built their own frameworks, by moving features into plugins duplicate code will most likely occur: it’s safe to assume that this won’t be an issue during item review ?

• Due the above (common code used by both plugin and theme), some updates may require buyers to update both at the same time. According to direct experience, some buyers will not (for instance they could update theme only) either by mistake or due to technical issues (as in, the plugin update server being down) so we must somehow prevent buyer website from breaking until they do it the proper way. A possible solution could be

1. to embed plugin code in the theme as well
    2. if plugin is not installed, none of the above code will be ever used
    3. if plugin is installed and version matches, plugin code is used
    4. if plugin is installed but not updated, embedded plugin code is used until the buyer updates (goto 2)

Would the above be acceptable under the new rules ?
366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

I don’t see this mentioned in the Notes or the official requirements. So can you confirm that Options plugins such as OptionTree and Advanced Custom Fields can be hard coded into the theme and not be included via TGM?

Search for “Theme options framework” in the page and you will find it :)

Advanced Custom Fields is a separate issue, and should be a plugin via the TGM Plugin Activation class.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

Some questions about phase 2 and bespoke plugins:

• most authors already have built their own frameworks, by moving features into plugins duplicate code will most likely occur: it’s safe to assume that this won’t be an issue during item review ?

• Due the above (common code used by both plugin and theme), some updates may require buyers to update both at the same time. According to direct experience, some buyers will not (for instance they could update theme only) either by mistake or due to technical issues (as in, the plugin update server being down) so we must somehow prevent buyer website from breaking until they do it the proper way. A possible solution could be

1. to embed plugin code in the theme as well
    2. if plugin is not installed, none of the above code will be ever used
    3. if plugin is installed and version matches, plugin code is used
    4. if plugin is installed but not updated, embedded plugin code is used until the buyer updates (goto 2)

Would the above be acceptable under the new rules ?

This sounds very reasonable to me. Reviewers will look at these on a case-by-case basis.

125 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Cubell says

edit: I just realized that I only read the notes! just saw the link to the actual list of requirements, ignore this post please :)

806 posts We're a nice team!
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
ThemeFocus says

Themes are not permitted to add options that define the number of posts to show on archive or category pages via a global setting.

If I create a custom post type, then can I add a options for it with the number of posts show?

Thanks.

22 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
ThemesIndep says
Advanced Custom Fields is a separate issue, and should be a plugin via the TGM Plugin Activation class.

Hi Japh, adding ACF as a plugin? If buyer switch to another theme, ACF won’t work anyway. All calls to ACF fields will remane in a previous theme. Also, when ACF is being included in the theme it being used as a Lite Mode, which is defined in functions.php. What to do about that?

7 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
BytesForAll says

Thanks for allowing dynamic inline CSS :bigsmile:

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

If I create a custom post type, then can I add a options for it with the number of posts show?

Correct, providing it’s not done via a global setting that will affect, for example, plugins that need to show a list of posts.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

Hi Japh, adding ACF as a plugin? If buyer switch to another theme, ACF won’t work anyway. All calls to ACF fields will remane in a previous theme. Also, when ACF is being included in the theme it being used as a Lite Mode, which is defined in functions.php. What to do about that?

While I understand that if the theme is specifically referring to ACF field names, they won’t show in another theme, the data will still be available in the back end for the user.

by
by
by
by
by
by